HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:33 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
I got a manual with my plane but it doesn't say anything about the cog. I always tuck my battery as far forward as possible when using an 1800, and maybe about an inch or inch and a half back from the front when using a 2200.
Thanks a lot for the reply ... I really appreciate it ... actually the 72 mm from leading edge was mentioned somewhere in other thread so I took not of it ...

BTW... Could you please post your list of mods you have done to your Bixler ..??

Thanks again

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:30 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
I did notice it's a touch smaller than the Sky Surfer, a bit "leaner".
How is it smaller or "leaner"? What dimensions exactly?
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:10 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post

I think I just changed my mind!
If you get the KIT version and use your own servos and other bits You could put it together OK. I must say that the stock Motor and the 6X4 prop I put on makes it go well. Verticle at full throttle.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:04 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
If you get the KIT version and use your own servos and other bits You could put it together OK. I must say that the stock Motor and the 6X4 prop I put on makes it go well. Verticle at full throttle.
I'm just thinking that a spare of wings for my EasyStar and a couple of servos would be cheaper and less to carry up onto the Moor....
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:33 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I'm just thinking that a spare of wings for my EasyStar and a couple of servos would be cheaper and less to carry up onto the Moor....

I expect you are correct. I had to get one of these Bixy thingys just to see what the fuss was all about.
I think we have both said, " You get what you pay for"
I have just changed the control horns as the original are brittle. I have already changed the aileron servos and had to order some more today (Giant cod) so I can replace the others.
Well it gives me something to do, as I am recovering from a nasty prop bite. Left hand across the nuckles down to the bone.
How did it happen? ask my mate Jeff aka Upup.
Well I launched too late, and he opened the throttle too early.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:56 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
How is it smaller or "leaner"? What dimensions exactly?
Leaner in that it's just a touch thinner (at least at the nose) than the Easy Star or Sky Surfer.

I had a quick first flight to trim her out running on a 1000 mah battery all the way forward. Second flight did not go well. Launched her into the wind at 80% throttle and it went straight up, the right back down. Luckily it was in tall grass but still went straight in and split the nose in two and dented the battery. These ARE tough little planes. What happened was the elevator control horn cracked and I had no control. So yes, they really should be changed because they are pure crap. I put thicker ones on that came from my T-28 Trojan carcass.

3rd flight today went well, except when it crashed. Had about 6 minutes of nice flight, just taking it through some paces. I did want more throw on the ailerons, didn't feel like I had enough. Coming through a gentle turn at about 75% throttle the wings came out of their sockets and started to flap. I was about 100 feet up, and it was drifting down nicely. then the wing came out and it nosed in again. I was at a different field with even taller grass so that saved it. just a piece of foam came out by the wing. I guess I'll have to glue or blenderm tape the wings in moving forward.

Overall, it's still an excellent little all around plane to fly. On the 1000 mah battery with no engine it floated very nicely and will most assuredly thermal in the right wind.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
fixed the issues, glued the spar into the wing and reglued the vert and hor stabs. put it back in the air with a 1300 and got almost 15 minutes with mininal throttle.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:57 PM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,839 Posts
Hi ..

Please forgive the newbie questions here .. it's my 1st foamy after all

1-Should I use foam safe CA or epoxy to assemble the plane ?
2-How do I fix the motor in the motor compartment.. (BL inrunner )?

Thanks a lot

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:57 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
fixed the issues, glued the spar into the wing and reglued the vert and hor stabs. put it back in the air with a 1300 and got almost 15 minutes with mininal throttle.
You should check out the first page of this thread. There are several methods of securing the wings to prevent that from happening. I have my own design in mind and will post that when I get my kit if it works out good.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1231310
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Last edited by jrjr; Jun 17, 2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:25 PM
Long time newbie
USA, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2006
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I got my Bixler today.....
The connectors on the motor leads were too small, as I do not have the female ones of that size. But I have loads of the next size up. How do I remove them as the wire is so short?
I had to cut the foam at the join from the top of the wing saddle to the cockpit and lifted the wires out. Removed the connectors and replaced them with others from stock. I replaced the wires and re-glued the foam.
Flypoppa, since you've cut into your bixler can you tell how they mounted the outrunner inside the nacelles? Inquiring minds want to know..
heymak is offline Find More Posts by heymak
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:30 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymak View Post
Flypoppa, since you've cut into your bixler can you tell how they mounted the outrunner inside the nacelles? Inquiring minds want to know..
I did not cut as far as the motor. But I believe that there is a plastic mount that the motor is attached to. I also believe that there are some pictures of it on this thread.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2011, 05:41 PM
Dssaction
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined May 2009
59 Posts
?

i realy dont like the lenght of the cabel moter so i will add he few inch!!!

can some one tell me what cande of conecter i nead to conect the moter to my esc?

also i add he pic of the moter mount.it is made of wood glue inside.ther is 2 screw to secure the moter.
dssaction is offline Find More Posts by dssaction
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssaction View Post
i realy dont like the lenght of the cabel moter so i will add he few inch!!!

can some one tell me what cande of conecter i nead to conect the moter to my esc?

also i add he pic of the moter mount.it is made of wood glue inside.ther is 2 screw to secure the moter.

3.5mm should work for that.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:52 AM
Holmegaard, Denmark
Joined Jul 2007
55 Posts
Weight of stock motor

Hi.
Does anybody know the weight of
the stock motor?
Regards
Dan.
heidan is offline Find More Posts by heidan
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:31 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidan View Post
Hi.
Does anybody know the weight of
the stock motor?
Regards
Dan.
FWIW the weights of the components of the V2 Sky Surfer are listed here. I assume they are using the same brushless motor in the Bixler.
My Sky Surfer brushless weighs about 45g.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc