HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:44 AM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2007
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Warp45,

I did check the screws before assembling the fuse halves ( I suspected a possible problem). It was very clear that the rear screw needs to be longer than the front screw. No way it would make all the way to the nut. Missing at least 5mm. I have no problems (no major problems, that is ) fitting some of my own, longer screws.

I noted someone else having the same problem and discussing it in this or another forum. The clear division in opinions on this is, I believe, a reflexion of some kits being delivered with shorter screws. Yours are probably longer than mine (60mm)?
You are right. My screws are 60 mm and long enough. Apparently QC is not a strong suite with the assemblers. I now do use a magnetized screwdriver to pull the screws out.
warp45 is offline Find More Posts by warp45
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:43 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,376 Posts
Maidened ny Bix1.1 today. Very uneventful, despite having forgotten to mount the spar in the heated struggle to fit the wing screws. Gave up on these, when I realized that even if I managed to fit the new, custom made screws, I'd have same hell as everybody else getting them out again. Used a 2mm CF instead with it's end sticking up and inch or so. Very easy to fit and remove, and acts as securing the keychain cam as well

Video from the maiden:
HK Bixler 1.1 maiden (2 min 24 sec)

Need to get another motor. The one I found in the parts bin seems to have shot bearings and too low KV.
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:50 PM
Montrose CO
United States, CO, Montrose
Joined Apr 2012
99 Posts
wind wag

Just a suggestion. Try one of the Orange flight stabilizers from HK. They do an amazing job of almost eliminating the wind wag. I thing they are about $18 US. I put one in all my Bixlers, no matter what they will be used for.
not2fast is online now Find More Posts by not2fast
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:49 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp45 View Post
You are right. My screws are 60 mm and long enough. Apparently QC is not a strong suite with the assemblers.
The screws I'm talking about are 60 mm and the aft one is too short. They should all be 70 mm so there is no problem front or rear.

We're talking about 3 Bixler V1.1s here, all with the same problem.

What we are doing is using threaded rod and the first one was cut to 80 mm, a nut soldered on ~10 mm down and the top filed to a wedge shape so pliers could easily grip it.

I've still to make my own new aft bolt, probably in a similar manner.

Quote:
I now do use a magnetized screwdriver to pull the screws out.
The only thing that a magnetized screw driver would be any good for. Note above about the lengthened above the nut / head-of-bolt extraction method.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:16 AM
b.b.4
United States, IL, Hoopeston
Joined Jan 2012
78 Posts
rubber bands ???

A lot of us used, plastic picture hanging hooks , GG'd to the top of the wing, and rubber bands to pull the wing together, on the ORIGINAL BIXLER. Very easy to transport, sans wing. Works good, can put on in 2 min. With the wing glued in, I had a major problem.

Has anyone done the bands on the v1.1 ??? Looks like it should work on the v1.1 and faster too. Forget the 60mm screws..............
b.b.4 is offline Find More Posts by b.b.4
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:24 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
...(edit)...What we are doing is using threaded rod and the first one was cut to 80 mm, a nut soldered on ~10 mm down and the top filed to a wedge shape so pliers could easily grip it.
That is a brilliant solution - I was thinking in the same direction, but my plane is still so new, that I'm struggling to insert anything bigger than 2mm in the front holes and 1.5mm in the rear holes.

For now, I'll be using the CF rod, and when the plane gets a bit more busted, I'll use the "threaded rod with soldered nut (or dual counter tightened nuts)" solution.

thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:01 AM
Joined Oct 2011
996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
.... I'm struggling to insert anything bigger than 2mm in the front holes and 1.5mm in the rear holes.
Sounds like things aren't lined up. I forced a screw down against the wooden washers and removed to wings to see where the marks were then redrilled the holes. Sensible thing would have been to insert the screws when gluing it together and removing them once they were aligned so glue wouldn't get on the thread if there was an excess.

Wise after the event.

If the CF rod works use it I'd say.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,376 Posts
I replaced the "Turbojet" motor with the shot bearing with a 2826mm 1900Kv "Turbojet" and another prop. Improved performance, but motor/prop is still very rough despite careful balancing. Short video of todays flight:'

Bixler 1.1 on board camera (0 min 0 sec)

note video blurring at certain (most) RPMs

Another video from today, but on board the clone mother, EasyStar:
EasyTwin low'n'slow + touch'n'go at frozen lake. Onboard cam. (1 min 47 sec)
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:51 AM
Joined Oct 2011
996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.b.4 View Post
A lot of us used, plastic picture hanging hooks , GG'd to the top of the wing,
Here a number of us used that system but with the hooks and everything on the under side.

Quote:
and rubber bands to pull the wing together,
A wire from hook to hook with a rubber band to retain it.

Quote:
With the wing glued in, I had a major problem.
The advantage of the glued in wing is that the spar didn't break as there was no point stressing.

Quote:
Has anyone done the bands on the v1.1 ??? Looks like it should work on the v1.1 and faster too.
Not here as the screws look like they should work BUT, the hooks on the V1 would break when there was a crash or very heavy landing. This was good because it took some load but didn't over stress things. I suspect the washers that the screws go through will tear out in a crash. We might eventually go back to the V1 system that worked.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:11 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
guys im sure the hooks and rubber bands work, but what i did with my radianpro was use Velcro. On the glider it was known for the inner wing retaining brackets to break. Mine latested almost 2 years. But the PIA of putting together at the field was pain staking. Now with out screws and i use a 6pin molex connector running AIL,Flaps and the pos/neg for the wing LEDS on one plug.
i can be set up and ready to fly under 2 mins.

Its crazy how the Velcro keeps the wings together. So much so, im going to test this screw system on my bix, if i dont like it..which i got a feeling im not, its on the Velcro mod...

heres a few pic's form the RP thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9919

Im also recording my build process. Mine is pretty much done now, i just have the vids ready to upload, ill add them as i up load em. over the course of the next few days.
Bixler v1.1 FPV build (5 min 43 sec)
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:35 AM
b.b.4
Joined Jan 2012
78 Posts
v1.1 servo's

I got my bixler together, however the wing, aileron servos, work backwards. If I reverse them on my dx6i, only the left one works. I plugged in a pair of sg-90's and they work as they should, but the wires are too short. Don't want to cut and solder longer wires if there is another solution.
Any advice is welcome. 1 yr. but still a nubee........Thx
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:39 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,376 Posts
Did a little flying today after replacing motor and prop. Now use 2822mm 1600KV outrunner with decent 6x4.5 prop. Finally got rid shakes and noise. The plane is dialled in very nicely now. Pics and vid:

"Nice and steady":

"Enemy at your 6 o'clock":

"Witnessing EasyGlider crash on the ice"
Bixler capturing EasyGlider crash on video (1 min 12 sec)
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:41 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Nice video mike. That's crazy there no snow on the ice..

here's mine pretty much ready for a Maiden. all i have to do is install the 1.3 Vtx on the inner wing. Weather has been the crap though. fooged in for days now.
Bixler FPV Build update 5 (Pre maiden) (9 min 0 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:08 AM
b.b.4
Joined Jan 2012
78 Posts
r. bands

v1.1Name: IMG_0330.jpg
Views: 108
Size: 176.6 KB
Description:
Finished my bixler with rubber bands. Wings are very tite and don't move. Found this easier than the velcro mentioned , no slots to cut for it, quicker also.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:10 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
The bands well make it easier to hang from the ceiling!!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Mar 06, 2013 at 02:41 AM.