SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:37 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Does that just shut down the motor and still allow the receiver and servos to function?
correct.

Although you should be timing your flights so that you only use 80% of capacity. to figure this out you will need to monitor the mah that you put back into your lipos when you charged them. If you dont have a charger with a display then get one.

i have one of these
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7028
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:51 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Being in the UK I had to order my Bixler from HK. The German warehouse did not have the ARF.
I ordered on the 3rd, I got a few emails telling that it had been packed and sent to the front warehouse for dispatch.
It was dispatched on the 10th. (I thought that it was an unusual long time) So now I also wait with eager anticipation.
I Chose EMS for the delivery. (Bad move I wonder).
Answer to JRJR question. If the ESC has a BEC then it will shut off the motor but still allow you to have RC control. Also you can give short bursts of power.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:17 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Oh Joy. I have just done a 'Trace and track' on my Bixler packet, and it says it is on the truck for delivery.
Knowing these delivery people, I could get it this afternoon.
I now go and stand by the window looking for the truck. (Sad life I have.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:16 AM
Eventually...I will fly
Israel
Joined Oct 2004
884 Posts
Hi all,
I ordered the kit version, but haven't decided on a motor yet.
is it rigeed for an inrunner like the EZ*, if so what motor is recomended?
if it includes a mount for an outrunner, what motor is recomended?

p.s i'm not a beginner so would like to have some overpower ;-)

Thanks
Eran
eran_k is offline Find More Posts by eran_k
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:45 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,617 Posts
A contribution, and not a thread attack WHATSOEVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcia83 View Post
Does this plane have some styling cues from other planes? Sure. Blatant rip off? Not so much.....
hmmm...It's definitely much closer to the latter than the former....

The number of EasyStar clones and near clones are legion; so much so it is nearly a class of it's own. However, I would suggest that only the most blinkered person would not think that this is actually a very very close copy indeed - albeit with the addition of ailerons (which is a mod a large number of EasyStar owners make or intend to make).

To increase the detail upon the point that ___Gerry is making....

To develop a product from scratch (in this case, a model) requires time & resource. Design, prototype, testing, design mods, second prototype etc. This all costs money which needs to be amortised (paid back) in the selling price of the model; it is normal for the company bean-counters to even stipulate that development & tooling costs must to be paid back within 3, 5 or 7 years of production. So MPX will have a cost which incorporates a 'development cost' amortisation element.

So along comes Mr Taiwanese Foamie Manufacturer (HappyFoam Inc) and he reads the EasyStar thread, buys an EasyStar kit and gets his ruler and pencil out. He doesn't need to test the thing, because MPX have taken the trouble and spent the money to do all that already on the basic model. The 'mods' are all chronicalled and field tested within RCG. Other than perhaps building the first-off sample to make sure his factory routings don't call for two left wings, his development costs are zero. Also, because he doesn't have a brand to protect nor much in the way of a Warranty or Customer Service, he can sell it to all and sundry in different liveries at a lower price, thereby getting volume from day 1.

Everyone says 'Coo, an EasyStar at less than those at MPX demand, the money-grabbing capitalist <insert favourite expletive here> ' and they buy the HappyFoam item in whatever livery they like instead.

Now, in the EasyStar's case I would expect the development and tooling costs to have been amortised already; this is probably why it is cheaper than say, the Graupner Elektro-Rookie. But say it had only been out a year? The sales are lost to someone who has copied their design, and effectively stolen the development. The long term view is that too much of this will lead to new developments having to be amortised across fewer units (cos within 12 months everyone is buying the copy at 3/4 the price) meaning the costs go up, then the prices go up in turn which exacerbates the situation, and in extremis the companies with the knowledge to develop good products go out of business because they can't sell enough of the products they have the knowledge to develop.

That leaves just the HappyFoams of this world, who probably don't have the knowledge to develop a great product from scratch. And by then, they'll have no one to copy.

That's my understanding of the theory. You pays yer money, yer takes yer choice. That's what a free market economy is all about. I don't advocate piracy of music or games etc, but for something which is on open and legal sale, I personally will leave the intellectual property arguments to the lawyers - that's what they are paid (too much) for.

Hence I admit that I am seriously considering a Bixler myself. If it were in stock, it looks like I could get a kit from the German warehouse for about £45 inc p&p. Pity the decals are already applied - IMHO it's a simply pathetic name.

Edit: Looks like all versions are out of stock now - except for 2 ARFs in Australia!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Jun 16, 2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 04:25 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
I got my Bixler today. It arrived at 3pm as I expected as I had been tracking it and I knew that the delivery for this depot was about 3pm for my area.
It seems like I have got a Friday afternoon one. (Chucked together in a hurry as it was nearly the weekend)
I opened the outer box and immediately I said to myself. “Where is the plastic carry handle on the inner box?” I had seen them on the HK video. I am going to use the box for transporting the model. Small detail as I have a couple of those handles lying around.
I heated up some water and poured it into the nose and removed the washers. That was easy.
The connectors on the motor leads were too small, as I do not have the female ones of that size. But I have loads of the next size up. How do I remove them as the wire is so short?
I had to cut the foam at the join from the top of the wing saddle to the cockpit and lifted the wires out. Removed the connectors and replaced them with others from stock. I replaced the wires and re-glued the foam.
The first thing I saw as I unpacked the wings was that the decals were not stuck on very good. They were creased and coming off, so I removed them. Under the decal on top of the left wing there was a hollow as if someone had used force when they installed the aileron servo.
I used the horns that came with the model for the rudder and elevator as they seem to be OK. I gave the rudder and elevator a few wiggles to loosen them up.
I now took off the clevis from the ailerons horns and went to wiggle the ailerons as the left one was stiff. As I gave it a wiggle, it came away from the wing. Yes it broke off. I cleaned up the edges and made some hinges from the magnetic disk from a floppy disk. Works well as I have used this method before. I had to do the same with the right wing.
It does not end there. When I went to replace the plastic clevis, the pin broke off. I removed both of the control rods from the aileron servos and made some new rods from wire, Z bends and connectors and that was sorted.
I do not like that supplied prop so I have fitted a 6 X 4.
Now I fitted up the radio and connected up the controls. Switch on the TX and plugged in a lipo. The left wing aileron servo will not centre. I have a stock of servos so I will change both the aileron ones tomorrow.
So the drama continues. I thought that I would have it ready to fly in a couple of hours after receiving it… Some hope.
Well you get what you pay for. How anyone can compare this Bixler with an Easystar… No contest.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:04 PM
Dssaction
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined May 2009
59 Posts
bixler mod

wow i am happy to read you'r post Flypopa! I when through all the same problems. I really want to fly this plane in is original version but.......

the only thing that make my feel happy is that i do have my handle!!

here all the mod i made before my first flight!
dssaction is offline Find More Posts by dssaction
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:08 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eran_k View Post
Hi all,
I ordered the kit version, but haven't decided on a motor yet.
is it rigeed for an inrunner like the EZ*, if so what motor is recomended?
if it includes a mount for an outrunner, what motor is recomended?

p.s i'm not a beginner so would like to have some overpower ;-)

Thanks
Eran
How many cell lipo battery do you plan using? I like to keep these style of models very light for long flight duration and good soaring performance, that's why I run mine with a 2S lipo, I favor a 2700kv-2800kv inrunner, and an APC 6x4E or 6x5.5E, this combination gives excellent climb and fully aerobatic performance and long flight times.

This one is suitable for 2S:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4201

If you want to use a 3S battery, use a slightly lower kv around 2200kv such as this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5203
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:43 PM
Dssaction
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined May 2009
59 Posts
! will use 3s 1600 only because i all ready have those 2 pack and i never use them.i will also use he 6x4 prop and i will use original moter for now.Hop to be abel to made my first flight this week end.

I have one question, should i remove those washer?
I saw some of u guys remove them!
So i dont know if i should remove them?

thanks!
dssaction is offline Find More Posts by dssaction
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:06 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssaction View Post
! will use 3s 1600 only because i all ready have those 2 pack and i never use them.i will also use he 6x4 prop and i will use original moter for now.Hop to be abel to made my first flight this week end.

I have one question, should i remove those washer?
I saw some of u guys remove them!
So i dont know if i should remove them?

thanks!

I would definitely remove them because that is all dead weight, you should be able to balance your model with your 3S 1600mah, just shove the pack as far as forward as it can go and then check the CG. My Bixler with a 2200 mah 2S balances just fine with the 6 washers removed from the nose. All I did was stick a pair of needle nose pliers down there and just rip them out.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:23 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
my plane arrived safely, within a week or ordering. took it apart to take out the washers and get the motor leads out, they were buried to far up to do anything. I reworked the wires down the back and added a 30 amp eflite ESC. I hollowed out some foam as well, plan on making this as light as possible and try to soar. I'll probably go with 1300 or 1800 3 cell at first. My Skysurfer kit came in as well. Already got a 3400 kv eflight motor, castle 54 esc, and will run 3 and 4 cells. I've also clipped the wings, and beefed up the wings with extra carbon fiber rods. This one will be my next sport/pylon racer style plane. will update with pics once build and paint are done.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:22 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,839 Posts
Hi

Well sorry for the newbie question but the Bilxer is only my 2nd fixed wing and it's in a kit form ... my 1st was a 3D aerobatics Addiction by PA... so I didn't find any problems balancing the plane per instructions in the manual ... but I assume the Bixler will be harder to deal with since it will require a lot of reinforcements, and with the addiction of the FPV gear I expect balancing the plane will not be a straight forward job ...

Please correct me

" All I have to do is adding the FPV gear in a way that keeps the Bixler sill balances upright when only suspended from the spars ( where the CG is supposed to be 72mm from the leading edge )

Thanks a lot for your help ... your input is greatly appreciated

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:35 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I admit that I am seriously considering a Bixler myself. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I got my Bixler today:
The connectors on the motor leads were too small [and] the wire is so short..........
The decals were not stuck on very good....creased and coming off..........
On top of the left wing there was a hollow as if someone had used force when they installed the aileron servo....
I gave [the aileron] a wiggle, it came away from the wing. Yes it broke off. ...
I went to replace the plastic clevis, the pin broke off.........
The left wing aileron servo will not centre.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssaction View Post
Wow I am happy to read your post Flypoppa! I went through all the same problems.....

I think I just changed my mind!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post

I think I just changed my mind!
I'll start by saying you get what you pay for. But this plane, at HK prices, is WELL worth it. My mods took 15 minutes, but the plane can go together and be flying within 30 minutes, even in kit form. I did notice it's a touch smaller than the Sky Surfer, a bit "leaner". I also like the male/female parts on each fuze half that help line it up when gluing. Once it's in stock, I would suggest getting it. It's really a blast of a plane, and pretty cheap and easily modified to fit your needs. I'd say it's one of the best planes to get under $100.00.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:06 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
Hi

Well sorry for the newbie question but the Bilxer is only my 2nd fixed wing and it's in a kit form ... my 1st was a 3D aerobatics Addiction by PA... so I didn't find any problems balancing the plane per instructions in the manual ... but I assume the Bixler will be harder to deal with since it will require a lot of reinforcements, and with the addiction of the FPV gear I expect balancing the plane will not be a straight forward job ...

Please correct me

" All I have to do is adding the FPV gear in a way that keeps the Bixler sill balances upright when only suspended from the spars ( where the CG is supposed to be 72mm from the leading edge )

Thanks a lot for your help ... your input is greatly appreciated

Khaled
I got a manual with my plane but it doesn't say anything about the cog. I always tuck my battery as far forward as possible when using an 1800, and maybe about an inch or inch and a half back from the front when using a 2200.