HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:21 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
The old Bix 1 ARFs came with the fuselage glued.
My ARF came in two halves, a year old. The lad up the road and I both glued ours together using Gorilla polyurethane glue.

Quote:
as well as having an easy way to upgrade the motor in the future, if necessary.
The motor mount was glued to one side of the fuselage so I didn't glue the other side on around the motor. The screws rattled loose and by cutting the unglued "cowling" off, I had access to allow fitting new (better) screws. The cowling was then held on with masking tape (because I had some).

Quote:
I want to pick up some blenderm tape to reinforce the hinges.
As I've said many times, I cut all surfaces off and fitted pinned nylon hinges - very free moving. They were wired in with copper wire.

Quote:
I'm a sprightly 62. Us ole' f@rts need to stick together!
Good to hear kids like you are taking up flying (from an older f@rt). !!!
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:46 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
Good to hear kids like you are taking up flying (from an older f@rt). !!!
Yea. There are a few kids on here that could learn a thing or 3 from us old uns. 75 and still alive yesterday.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:23 PM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2007
79 Posts
Great to hear from you all.

I also did use blenderm on all of the hinges after flexing them quite a bit. It seems to work well. I did also get some pin hinges for when the foam breaks apart.

I'm ready to test fly but the weather stinks - a blizzard now and 15 degrees out.

I'm glad I'm not the only old one out there still trying to fly. I started with a 450 heli and decided that my reflexes aren't that good anymore so I wanted to get the airplane down first in the hope that it will strengthen my heli skills too.
warp45 is offline Find More Posts by warp45
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:24 AM
b.b.4
United States, IL, Hoopeston
Joined Jan 2012
80 Posts
Bixler v1.1

This 74 year young'in has a ?????
I flew my Bix with a pwr zoom 400 mtr., into a fog bank last week , full pwr. 80+ mph-?
You guessed it, could'nt find all the pieces. I have a Bix v1.1 on the way. My ? is, are you doing most of the MODS on the v1.1 that you did on the original Bix. I understand it has good servos and horns.
Does the v1.1 use the same mtr. as orig. ? Any advise is WELCOME... b.b.4
b.b.4 is offline Find More Posts by b.b.4
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:20 AM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2007
79 Posts
B - 1.1

I made the mods to my new 1.1 that I described in this forum. I never had the 1.0 so I can't say what the difference might be. I think the stock motor appears to be good enough for my learning purposes.

I did find that the motor mount when slipped into the foam fuse, allowed the motor to move out of alignment with the fuse. The motor shaft would get maybe 2-3 degrees off of the center line of the fuse and move back and forth. I held it straight and hot glued the motor mount to the foam to hold it straight.

The new servos and the horns are solid so far. But, I'm waiting for the weather to calm down so i can test fly it.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:46 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,120 Posts
My V1.1 kit replacement arrived a day ago. I'm fitting hinges at present. I see the rudder is bigger than on the V1. Also the motor bay has a top cap meaning I will assemble the halves and then glue the motor mount in gluing it to both halves this time. The top cap will be held on some how but still be removable. Valve grind or replace pistons? WHAT? All electric, well I never...

There is no cap over the wing spar but a groove for the servo wires. Another solder job possibly to lengthen the wires to the new servos. Though I didn't have any problems, new servos seems a sensible idea - they are cheap enough.

The V1.1 also comes with an anti-crash device - a pilot

The old Bixler's wing is still usable so will have to design and build something interesting to use it on.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:12 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
can the V1.1 wings fits into the original bixler?.....
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:05 PM
b.b.4
United States, IL, Hoopeston
Joined Jan 2012
80 Posts
wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
can the V1.1 wings fits into the original bixler?.....
Yes, I believe the v1.1 wings fit the v1. Mine is not here yet, but others say they do ....
b.b.4
b.b.4 is offline Find More Posts by b.b.4
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:05 AM
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.b.4 View Post
Yes, I believe the v1.1 wings fit the v1. Mine is not here yet, but others say they do ....
b.b.4
hope so.....
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:42 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
What about the Bixler 2 wings? Can anyone see if they fit in the Bixler 1's ?

I was thinking that if I wanted to replace the wings I could maybe grab the Bixler 2 wings rather than buy a whole new Bixler as they sell the Bixler 2 wings individually.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:50 AM
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post
What about the Bixler 2 wings? Can anyone see if they fit in the Bixler 1's ?

I was thinking that if I wanted to replace the wings I could maybe grab the Bixler 2 wings rather than buy a whole new Bixler as they sell the Bixler 2 wings individually.
nope...diff length & thickness
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:45 PM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2007
79 Posts
For the heads up crowd:

I was going to put air ducts on my new Bixler V1.1 like those suggested in the Pogo blog (though that build was for the V1.0). The in-coming duct was to go on the top of the fuse just in front of the pilot, and the exhaust duct on top of the fuse just after the motor (like the pictures in the Pogo blog).

I was about to cut the holes and then realized that there is a big difference between the V1.1 and the V1.0, because of where the 1.1 now has placed the two servos for the tail. There is now a reinforcement partition that blocks any air flow through the fuse after the servos and right under the motor mount. No air would get to the duct on top and behind the motor. The whole fuse tail area, from the motor mount to the tail, can't get any air flow.

I could put exhaust ducts on the right and left of the fuse under the wings, but I don't care to go to the trouble right now. I'm going to see how hot the ESC gets after a few flights before I go the the trouble of putting air ducts in.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:51 PM
Head in the clouds
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp45 View Post
I could put exhaust ducts on the right and left of the fuse under the wings, but I don't care to go to the trouble right now. I'm going to see how hot the ESC gets after a few flights before I go the the trouble of putting air ducts in.
You could try DHDSRacer from YouTube's idea, and mount the ESC externally, I did this on my SkySurfer, and it makes a huge difference to the temps of the ESC
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:49 AM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2007
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89 View Post
You could try DHDSRacer from YouTube's idea, and mount the ESC externally, I did this on my SkySurfer, and it makes a huge difference to the temps of the ESC
Yes, that probably is the easiest and most efficient way to do it - with less cutting and gluing - on the V2.0.

The problem is however, the 1.1 doesn't have space on the top like in the YouTube idea for the 2.0, as the two screw holes to hold the wings on are up there and I don't want to weaken the foam around that area. I'd have to put the ESC on the outside and under the wing someplace and probably without any cutout to fit it into (to cut down on air resistance). I'll see how hot the ESC gets before I go that route.

Any other recommendations?
Thanks.
Last edited by warp45; Feb 02, 2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:38 PM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2007
79 Posts
Here is a motor thrust line question for the Bixler V1.1.

Should the motor shaft be in line with the fuse center line from nose to tail? Or, should the motor be offset right or left (looking from the rear)?

I got to thinking that perhaps that is why they have allowed so much side to side movement of the motor in the slot - to allow for thrust line adjustment if necessary.