HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:27 PM
b.b.4
United States, IL, Hoopeston
Joined Jan 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I launch mine at about 1/2 throttle with the stock motor and it does fine. When flying, full throttle will make it nose-over some, so I can see if you launch at full throttle with a more powerful motor you'd have some trouble. You don't need much power to launch. Big wings get the job done.
erkq,
Thx for the ans. I think that will work. Mine is level , a little less than half thro.,any more and it noses over. I also hve 4 cliks of UP in it.
b.b.4 ............
b.b.4 is offline Find More Posts by b.b.4
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:52 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,110 Posts
The chances are that it does not have enough air speed when you chuck it. Most of my Bix, EZ* type models will do this. If there is a bit of wind then it is not too bad.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:23 AM
b.b.4
Joined Jan 2012
80 Posts
lawn dart

Mac ,flypoppa, erkq,,,,,,,
Thanks for the advice. Around 1/2 thro. and a 10 mph wind gave me my best take-off today. I have it 5* tail heavy. Helps to level at Hi speeds..........b.b.4
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
fly the best
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Apr 2010
174 Posts
lost prop

I flew my Bixler today and I found out the hard way that the nut was loose. When I pushed the bixler to WOT the prop shot off >:|. the prop and hardware keeping it on the motor are now lost in a field somewhere.

can anyone tell me what size nut it is so I can replace it?
sharkforce is offline Find More Posts by sharkforce
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:56 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
Maidened my bixler at the weekend - it flew fantastically!!

after flying a hobbyzone champ for a while i was not use to something flying so fast an smooth.

fantastic, one thing i have done is put the aileron channel on the right stick as thats what im more use too

im officially hooked

on launch i gave it half throttle an threw into the wind, after an initial drop it gains height right away, at 100% it goes vertical
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcow007 View Post
Maidened my bixler at the weekend - it flew fantastically!!

after flying a hobbyzone champ for a while i was not use to something flying so fast an smooth.

fantastic, one thing i have done is put the aileron channel on the right stick as thats what im more use too

im officially hooked

on launch i gave it half throttle an threw into the wind, after an initial drop it gains height right away, at 100% it goes vertical

Congratulations, and Welcome to full 4 channel control flight. BTW, most of the world flies with the ailerons and elevator on the right stick with rudder and throttle on the left stick, this is "called Mode 2" which is a very intuitive control scheme and mimics controlling full scale aircraft where roll control and pitch control are both on the flight stick. Now that you are hooked, you may want start looking at all the other similar "EZ Style" models, and yes it is an addiction :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454577
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
I got my bixler about a month ago, after the long wait... Its my first plane but I have had alot of sim time, and I have also become pretty proficient with my mcpx. It flies great but I have had a couple problems. I am running a 3s 35c 2200mah battery, 30a esc, and using a 6x4 prop. It can pull around 30amps, is this normal? I have had a couple flights where my plane stalls at max throttle and then restarts after about 10 seconds. What could be going on to cause this, overheating?
roachtron is offline Find More Posts by roachtron
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:54 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roachtron View Post
I got my bixler about a month ago, after the long wait... Its my first plane but I have had alot of sim time, and I have also become pretty proficient with my mcpx. It flies great but I have had a couple problems. I am running a 3s 35c 2200mah battery, 30a esc, and using a 6x4 prop. It can pull around 30amps, is this normal? I have had a couple flights where my plane stalls at max throttle and then restarts after about 10 seconds. What could be going on to cause this, overheating?
I would say that you should look towards the motor first. In my opinion they are cr*p. Does it get hot? 30amp is too much. I have replaced my motor and ESC. (and everything else except the hatch magnets) and also with a 2200mah it only draws 11amp at max throttle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:04 AM
R/C ruined me, But i have fun!
Denmark, Nordjylland, Nørresundby
Joined Jan 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I would say that you should look towards the motor first. In my opinion they are cr*p. Does it get hot? 30amp is too much. I have replaced my motor and ESC. (and everything else except the hatch magnets) and also with a 2200mah it only draws 11amp at max throttle.
What motor and ESC er you using? My 2200 kv motor draws around 30A at full throttle too.

/Martin
ParamiLL is offline Find More Posts by ParamiLL
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:47 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParamiLL View Post
What motor and ESC er you using? My 2200 kv motor draws around 30A at full throttle too.

/Martin
This is the motor. http://dx.com/p/a2208-1800kv-electri...-13561?item=51
The shame is, DX are not stocking them as they say they can't get them any more.
This is the ESC. Servos are 9gram TPs
http://dx.com/p/dynam-25a-electronic...ss-motors-4474
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
Australia, QLD, Mountain Creek
Joined May 2012
151 Posts
If it all goes wrong, and its possible, this might help
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...8-262FD5CA2FA0
Its for a cheap Bix kit
Xmod is offline Find More Posts by Xmod
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:53 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmod View Post
If it all goes wrong, and its possible, this might help
http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...8-262FD5CA2FA0
Its for a cheap Bix kit
So at last HK realise that they got it wrong with the hardware in the Bixler. So now they sell the kit. Good move HK.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:06 AM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
541 Posts
Ijust had a successful maiden as well today.
I bought this one for my wife - thought it's not a bad model to start with.
I started with a Bixler kit, and reenforced the wings for a 12" ribbon strip each. A 5mm carbon rod was fitted internally from the tail to midway in the fuselage. The wings were glued permanently for strength as well. The entire plane feels very solid now. A few adjustments to shim the horizontal stab and the motor in a central position rounded out the build.
All clevises were replaced, they are absolute garbage - 2 of them broke just from the act of adjusting. Used the turnigy 2826 2200kv motor and 6x4 prop that most are upgrading to. Finally a 3300ma 3S battery was the choice of the day. I used a 60mm cog.
I was amazed to see the plane required almost no trim on the maiden flight. not only that, but the COG and motor thrust angle seemed spot on. The Bixler didnt change attitude at all at any throttle range.
It would continue on its path if i took my hands off the sticks - aside from eventually self-adjusting to a level lateral attitude due to the wing shape. I've never flown an easier aircraft in my life.
Thumbs up on this one.
Next I have to set up the buddy box for the wife.
TheCure is online now Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:59 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
After spinning a motor in my Bixler, I finally got around to ordering a HeadsUpRC Power-up 400 Zoom (2200kv). The motor fits the Bix perfectly.

Spent some time overhauling the Bixler and replacing the motor. Then the wind arrived. Maybe tonight I can test fly the new motor. Otherwise, it'll be a fun morning on Sunday with the Bixler and my GWS FW190.

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:33 AM
b.b.4
Joined Jan 2012
80 Posts
bad motor

Mac,
AFTER SPINNING my motor , I bot the same one, headsuprc. More speed than I need w/ 6x4. Mounted it w/ the original m mount and tried to get the same thrust angle, but it has a shallow dive at high thro.?? Plz post the results of your re-maiden....

b.b.4
Last edited by b.b.4; Nov 11, 2012 at 09:53 PM.