HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:30 AM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Upgrades to Bixler 1

Just got a Bixler 1 - From reading this thread I believe certain things on the plane are better if you upgrade and replace them - i.e the control horns. What about the actual wire linkage to them and clevises should I consider replacing them and if so should I replace with carbon fibre rods, would that be better (or too heavy) What about the servo's would it be better to replace them and if so with what. I believe you can use carbon rods to strengthen the wings - what sort of diameter rod would I need. Hope thats not too many questions, only I'm new to this and need a bit of guidance. Any other suggestions for upgrades would be appreciated - I just want it all in order before I try and fly it and not have something go wrong whilst it's in the air - Thanks.
Whammo41 is offline Find More Posts by Whammo41
Last edited by Whammo41; Aug 30, 2012 at 04:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:42 AM
Duncanville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
106 Posts
The USA warehouse has the Hobbyking Bixler EPO 1400mm (KIT) (USA Warehouse) in stock now. However, the motor doesn't come with it. The ad says a 2620 Brushless Outrunner is required. I can't find that motor listed on the HK site. Anyone have any idea which motor they mean????

Thanks
Don
king1522 is offline Find More Posts by king1522
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:15 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by king1522 View Post
The USA warehouse has the Hobbyking Bixler EPO 1400mm (KIT) (USA Warehouse) in stock now. However, the motor doesn't come with it. The ad says a 2620 Brushless Outrunner is required. I can't find that motor listed on the HK site. Anyone have any idea which motor they mean????

Thanks
Don

That one is the bare foam airframe KIT no electronics, if you want the ARF with motor/servos is also back in stock here:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

BTW, if you get the ARF version, all you need to add is an ESC, so drop one of these in your cart:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...to_39_Amp.html
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:25 PM
Duncanville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
106 Posts
Thanks Doubletap. I was not aware of the ARF version was in stock.
Don
king1522 is offline Find More Posts by king1522
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:56 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,151 Posts
Bixler parts for Easy Star II?

Just curious - do Bixler parts fit the Easy Star II? Such as wings, horizontal stabilizer.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:56 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammo41 View Post
Just got a Bixler 1 - From reading this thread I believe certain things on the plane are better if you upgrade and replace them - i.e the control horns..
Nothing wrong with them. I do suggest wiring them as well as gluing.

Quote:
What about the actual wire linkage to them and clevises should I consider replacing them
Clevises can break if you try adjusting them - sometimes. Buy some linkage stoppers and extra wire for the ailerons.

Quote:
What about the servos would it be better to replace them and if so with what.
My impression is servo problems arise from overloading due to the foam hinges being too stiff. Fit HK 008-00201 hinges to everything. There are 10 in a pack and that is enough. We haven't had servo problems in 5 months of rugged flying.

Quote:
I believe you can use carbon rods to strengthen the wings - what sort of diameter rod would I need.
Out of 3 Bixlers here, 2 of us have broken the CF tube. Those two Bixlers had removable wings and the other one doesn't. It would appear that if the wings are not glued together and to the fuselage, point stresses overload the tube. The original CF tube is 6 mm OD.

Quote:
Any other suggestions for upgrades would be appreciated.
Buy a 30 Amp ESC. Remove the weight washers from the nose and use a 2200mAh battery. Fit a 6x4 prop for a little extra perfomance.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
... Remove the weight washers from the nose and use a 2200mAh battery. ...
I use a 3000mAh battery. It will stay aloft for 50 minutes at maneuvering speed. But I haven't loaded it up with FPV gear yet.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Thanks for the info MAC50L
Whammo41 is offline Find More Posts by Whammo41
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:28 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
guys im a beginner (so go easy on me...please )

i recently received my bixler an i'm desperate to get her up in the air, in my rush i have purchased a zippy 2200 2c 7.4v lipo

will that be sufficient?

i thought they were 11.1v?

its untouched still in all of its wrappers etc as it arrived,

i'm guessing - remove washers from nose, shove the lipo as far forwards as i can an see how she balances out.

i'm going to reinforce the wings with cf rod inside the original tube too. i need the wings to be removable

ive only ever flown 3chl planes before

thanks
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Last edited by mudcow007; Sep 03, 2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:13 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcow007 View Post

i recently received my bixler an i'm desperate to get her up in the air, in my rush i have purchased a zippy 2200 2c 7.4v lipo

will that be sufficient?

i'm guessing - remove washers from nose, shove the lipo as far forwards as i can an see how she balances out.

i'm going to reinforce the wings with cf rod inside the original tube too. i need the wings to be removable

thanks
I personally wouldnt run a Bix on 2S it will be really low on power and could be a challenge to launch
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:43 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcow007 View Post

will that be sufficient?

thanks

2S is just fine for these EZ style models, but you should change the prop to get more thrust out of the power system, I run all of my EZ style models on 2S and the appropriate prop, and they climb out easily at 60-70 degrees, I use an APC 6x5.5e on the stock Bixler motor, which provides plenty of thrust/speed.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:14 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
2S is just fine for these EZ style models, but you should change the prop to get more thrust out of the power system, I run all of my EZ style models on 2S and the appropriate prop, and they climb out easily at 60-70 degrees, I use an APC 6x5.5e on the stock Bixler motor, which provides plenty of thrust/speed.
I guess im just power hungry lol
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:45 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
cheers for the replies guys, i have returned the lipo an exchanged for a 3s 2200 instead

i need to get my bixler in the air!!
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
b.b.4
United States, IL, Hoopeston
Joined Jan 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Coupla Q's for you Bixler pros?

Why does my Bixler want to shoot straight down on launch? I really have to get on the elevator as soon as it leaves my hand. Otherwise, it wants to lawn dart.
I already have about 2-3mm of up elevator trimmed in too.

I normally run a Sky Lipo 1800mah lipo and have it moved back almost dead-under the canopy, but my Bix still needs some up-elevator mixed in or it wants to dive.
I put a HeadsUpRC Power-up 400 Zoom in it. Maybe it's thrusting it downward?

So with the battery pushed back and 2-3mm up trim, why does this plane want to nose down? (Yes, the washers are all removed).

Thanks for any help!
Mac
Mac, or Anyone,,,,,,,,
I put the same Zoom motor in my Bix., and have the same lawn dart problem. What did you do to fix the darting ???????????
Byron......... b.b.4
b.b.4 is offline Find More Posts by b.b.4
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.b.4 View Post
Mac, or Anyone,,,,,,,,
I put the same Zoom motor in my Bix., and have the same lawn dart problem. What did you do to fix the darting ???????????
Byron......... b.b.4
I launch mine at about 1/2 throttle with the stock motor and it does fine. When flying, full throttle will make it nose-over some, so I can see if you launch at full throttle with a more powerful motor you'd have some trouble. You don't need much power to launch. Big wings get the job done.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq