SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:40 PM
Registered User
CPMBOY's Avatar
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
prop & adapter

I bought this two props for my Bixler but it doesnt fit well with the stock adapter. Whats the suitable adapter for this two?...

1. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7936
2. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9873
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:42 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
I bought this two props for my Bixler but it doesnt fit well with the stock adapter. Whats the suitable adapter for this two?...

1. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7936
2. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9873
Cross posting is against the rules on RCgroups. The answer is on the other Bixler thread.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:54 AM
Registered User
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,130 Posts
One of those days. After getting caught in a tree a couple of days previously while looking for lift at low level across the slope, this time it was a gum tree, a really big tree, like huge. Fortunately not anywhere near the top.

Turning on to finals to come through the gap at low altitude to come straight in to the small empty section I use (sometimes) for flying off. That final turn wasn't as fast as expected.

The problem is the Bixler floats and floats so I was coming in from way out and the turn just didn't happen... Tree one, Bixler nil. Not much change from earlier in the morning, swallows one, UM T-28 nil, that time, fortunately, into the long grass.

After borrowing a 3 section mop from next door and remembering I had a full length of PVC water pipe under the house, plus a ladder, a surf casting rod, also from next door, as backup, I started on recovery. Climbing up on the shed roof under the crash site, the PVC pipe was just long enough to dislodge the Bixler which then crashed nose down into the geraniums – softly.

A bit of checking - one aileron pushrod and horn were missing. “Arhhh,” that was probably why the turn wasn't as tight (lacking?) as expected. The aileron was stiff (causing the horn to come adrift) and obvious that both ailerons should have been cut off on receiving and assembly of the plane and fitting free moving hinges as I'd done with the elevator after the horn broke loose twice (slow learner).

The flight up to the landing approach had involved a few aerobatic moves to entertain the old chap from next door. A few rolls would have given the ailerons plenty of exercise. Checking the on-board movie gives the impression that about 200 metres before hitting the tree the turn stopped suddenly, the point at which the horn probably broke loose.

A number of commentators here “hate” the stock servos on the Bixler. I suspect the problem is the stiffness of the foam hinges overloading them or over stressing them and shortening their life.

Recommendations (who am I to?) -

1.) Never use foam hinges – they can be stiff and will break eventually if the plane lasts long enough.

2.) Wire on horns (fuse wire). They might be loose if the glue breaks but they will still give some control.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 06:49 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
One of those days. After getting caught in a tree a couple of days previously while looking for lift at low level across the slope, this time it was a gum tree, a really big tree, like huge. Fortunately not anywhere near the top.

Turning on to finals to come through the gap at low altitude to come straight in to the small empty section I use (sometimes) for flying off. That final turn wasn't as fast as expected.

The problem is the Bixler floats and floats so I was coming in from way out and the turn just didn't happen... Tree one, Bixler nil. Not much change from earlier in the morning, swallows one, UM T-28 nil, that time, fortunately, into the long grass.

After borrowing a 3 section mop from next door and remembering I had a full length of PVC water pipe under the house, plus a ladder, a surf casting rod, also from next door, as backup, I started on recovery. Climbing up on the shed roof under the crash site, the PVC pipe was just long enough to dislodge the Bixler which then crashed nose down into the geraniums – softly.

A bit of checking - one aileron pushrod and horn were missing. “Arhhh,” that was probably why the turn wasn't as tight (lacking?) as expected. The aileron was stiff (causing the horn to come adrift) and obvious that both ailerons should have been cut off on receiving and assembly of the plane and fitting free moving hinges as I'd done with the elevator after the horn broke loose twice (slow learner).

The flight up to the landing approach had involved a few aerobatic moves to entertain the old chap from next door. A few rolls would have given the ailerons plenty of exercise. Checking the on-board movie gives the impression that about 200 metres before hitting the tree the turn stopped suddenly, the point at which the horn probably broke loose.

A number of commentators here “hate” the stock servos on the Bixler. I suspect the problem is the stiffness of the foam hinges overloading them or over stressing them and shortening their life.

Recommendations (who am I to?) -

1.) Never use foam hinges – they can be stiff and will break eventually if the plane lasts long enough.

2.) Wire on horns (fuse wire). They might be loose if the glue breaks but they will still give some control.
All foam planes with foam hinges should ALWAYS have the hinges flexed back and forth to free up the control surfaces. If the foam hinge shows any cracks then apply hinge tape (Blenderm or 3M Extreme Tape) on the top and the bottom.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 02:47 AM
Registered User
CPMBOY's Avatar
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
im using 2200mah batt. What is the correct COG of the Bixler?...some say 60 mm, some 75 mm.
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 11:00 AM
Let,s build it and fly ..
Zahid Rasheed's Avatar
Pakistan, Sindh, Karachi
Joined Dec 2010
51 Posts
Guys I got my bixler ARF yesterday but one of its wing tip is bend a lot due to other stuff hk put inside my bixler package..!!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-c...2/DSC06656.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-D...2/DSC06673.JPG

What should i do ?? anyone can suggest something please . thanks

ZR
Zahid Rasheed is offline Find More Posts by Zahid Rasheed
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 11:15 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahid Rasheed View Post
Guys I got my bixler ARF yesterday but one of its wing tip is bend a lot due to other stuff hk put inside my bixler package..!!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-c...2/DSC06656.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-D...2/DSC06673.JPG

What should i do ?? anyone can suggest something please . thanks

ZR
Hot water makes the foam go back to it's originally cast shape. Try putting the wingtip in a pot of hot water. Other than that I'd say you're left to the wonderful HK customer service department.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 12:14 PM
Registered User
CPMBOY's Avatar
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Hot water makes the foam go back to it's originally cast shape. Try putting the wingtip in a pot of hot water. Other than that I'd say you're left to the wonderful HK customer service department.
been there before....upps...just recently to be exact
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 01:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
I took my new bixler up for the first time today. What a fun machine! It was pretty windy so I managed some zero ground speed and backwards flight. I bought an ARF and did some modifications before flying...

25A turnigy plush esc
2.6Ah 3s lipo
replaced elevator and rudder control horns and clevises with dubro horns and e/z connectors... the stock horns felt thin and brittle
3mm spar down the belly and up the vertical stabilizer... there were cutouts for them so it seemed like a good idea
removed washers in the nose
trimmed some foam out of the inside of the motor mount that was touching the motor
trimmed some foam out of the rudder to allow full elevator travel
taped wings on... I have a feeling I will need to do the sticky-hook-and-rubber-band thing down the road

I got 12 minutes of full throttle for about 55 minutes of flight... really a cool toy. I could not get it to sustain a stall or spin, and could not get it to do an aileron roll but perfect loops were really easy. Climbs above 50 degrees... very fast to height, and that is with the stock prop
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Last edited by npre; May 06, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 06:29 PM
Registered User
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npre View Post
... I have a feeling I will need to do the sticky-hook-and-rubber-band thing down the road
..., and could not get it to do an aileron roll
Rolls, mine does, roll right - stick right (hard over) then add - down elevator (bring nose up as is inverted) as it goes over, centre elevator (on edge), a little up elevator (as it comes out of the roll), centre everything. Others might have a better description / way to do it. Can you fly inverted? Easily?


Wing retainer hooked over the 3M hook, with rubber band to lock it on to the hook. Marks and numbers for CoG. -
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mac50L; May 06, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 08:25 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
Rolls, mine does, roll right - stick right (hard over) then add - down elevator (bring nose up as is inverted) as it goes over, centre elevator (on edge), a little up elevator (as it comes out of the roll), centre everything. Others might have a better description / way to do it. Can you fly inverted? Easily?


Wing retainer hooked over the 3M hook, with rubber band to lock it on to the hook. Marks and numbers for CoG. -
I haven't tried inverted. I am used to flying Cessnas, and not any kind of aerobatics. So all I have practised are stalls, spins and spirals. I can do rolls in my other, smaller rc plane because all I have to do is yank the aileron and keep attitude with elevator. when I tried with the bixler today it must have been too slow because it would just dip a wing, lose some altitude and turn around. practice makes perfect eh. Thanks for the tip
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 11:28 PM
Registered User
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npre View Post
I haven't tried inverted. ..... I have to do is yank the aileron and keep attitude with elevator. when I tried with the Bixler today it must have been too slow because it would just dip a wing, lose some altitude and turn around. practice makes perfect eh. Thanks for the tip
Inverted - stick forward at the top of a loop. Then wiggle the elevators to get the feel of reversed roll to the left or right. Probably a lot of stick forward to keep the nose "up". Too much and you get an outside loop.

Not rolling - not enough power on? Half or more power (depends where your power/speed setting is), slight nose up, stick hard left or right...
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2012, 04:32 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Colonel Blink's Avatar
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
Inverted - stick forward at the top of a loop. Then wiggle the elevators to get the feel of reversed roll to the left or right.
...wiggle the ailerons....???
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2012, 07:01 PM
Registered User
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
...wiggle the ailerons....???
Wiggle the stick to make the ailerons wiggle. Presuming we're talking about a beginner flyer (otherwise they wouldn't need to read this), the plane should "jiggle" (for want of a better word) and the pilot can get the feel of the reversed controls, reversed because we are now inverted.

Also most important, those ailerons hinges need to be totally free moving otherwise the plane's reaction to control input is so slow.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2012, 07:11 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
Wiggle the stick to make the ailerons wiggle. Presuming we're talking about a beginner flyer (otherwise they wouldn't need to read this), the plane should "jiggle" (for want of a better word) and the pilot can get the feel of the reversed controls, reversed because we are now inverted.

Also most important, those ailerons hinges need to be totally free moving otherwise the plane's reaction to control input is so slow.
The aileron's control doesn't reverse wen inverted. Exactly who is this "beginner flyer" whe're talking about? The elevator reverses when inverted. The ailerons seem to reverse when the airplane is flying toward you, inverted or not.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Hobby King Ryan STA EPO Coenraad Scale ARF/RTF 243 Jun 04, 2014 09:40 PM
Discussion Hobby King Pearl EPO Glider Thread tomcor Foamies (Kits) 34 Aug 29, 2013 11:51 PM
Discussion Hobby King EPO ParkJet ARF "Floats like a kitten" trees Pusher Prop Jet Models 252 Oct 21, 2012 10:10 PM
New Product Hobby king new micro cessna 4 ch EPO 555mm WS with VIDEO Cheetah401 Micro Ready-to-Fly 9 Apr 18, 2011 05:11 PM
New Product Hobby King 2.3M EPO EP Ventus PNF Doubletap Electric Sailplanes 1 Apr 05, 2011 11:00 PM