HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:50 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolsonb View Post
At the time i ordered it I thought mode1 was left stick elevator/ailerons and right stick throttle/rudder, but its throttle/ailerons right and elevator/rudder left and feels totally weird. Why not have it like a real plane? Anyway swapped it over now to mode 2 so all good.
Just a guess, but could be that in the 'early days' there was just single channel, so no modes. Then along came lighter gear which enabled two (count 'em) channels. This was operated by two seperate sticks travelling in slots, and it was normal to have rudder on the horizontally-moving right and either elevator or throttle on the vertically-moving left. Then when those same guys adopted the new fangled three or four ('Full House') channel gear, their muscle memory was for the rudder and elevator to be on seperate sticks.......
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:59 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolsonb View Post
There are in stock now! I bought connectors because I assumed I could use the existing wires from the stock motor, cut them where the 2826 wires can reach and add some female connectors. Then re-solder male connectors to the short wires on the stock motor for use in a homemade plane. Can someone tell me if this will work? Cant see why it wouldnt?

Just recieved my dx6i, so cool. Had to do the conversion from mode one to mode two because I thought mode one had elevator and aileron on the stick like a real plane but had since been told that was not the case. All done no probs! Been using the phoenix rc sim to hone my skills and learn how to set up the transmitter.
done with your extension wire yet ?...I've readied a 14AWG wires and 3 pairs of 3.5 bullet conns (to extend the stock motor wires). Whats the AWG for the turnigy motor wire?
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:13 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
done with your extension wire yet ?...I've readied a 14AWG wires and 3 pairs of 3.5 bullet conns (to extend the stock motor wires). Whats the AWG for the turnigy motor wire?
I dont know what awg it converts to but they are around 16 gauge.

For my motor wire extensions i used some 12g cable i have for making charging harnesses. Its overkill but its not really critical. Use what ever you've got (as long as its same size or bigger than the motor wires). Your 14g will be sweet.
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:25 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
706 Posts
thx
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:23 PM
Strongsville, OH
Joined May 2007
2,415 Posts
Hey guys I just maidened the bixler 10 min ago. It was a disaster I was sure I was going to lose it.
Let it go, flew ok but even full rates on the airlerons barely rolled it, had to use rudder for turns.
Then it just went out of control, started doing rolls and snaprolls u name it, loops... Was heading right into a playground full of children... But somehow a mirracle it flew out and noone was hurt, but then it went with the wind into the area full of trees, and started doing aeropatics on its own, if i apply any kind of control it goes insane, so i let if glide and crash landed it safely.... I have no idea what could of caused it but it was a disaster... I have a orange rx with a satelite receiver I dont think it was a radio problem
One thing is that I taped the wings together maybe they came lose in flight, but Im glad thats over.
I dont like the rear mounted motor facing up, I might swap it and make it a twin puller with some low kv high torque motors.
Althought it glides amazing
ihor14448 is offline Find More Posts by ihor14448
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:28 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,838 Posts
Befor you start making alterations, I think you should investigate what went wrong.
First I would ask how does it glide with power off, and did you have control?
Is it a ARTF model?
I also have a HK orange with satellite. No problems with that.
But did you do a range check?
I did not trust the hardware in mine as the servos were twitchy, so I changed them.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:10 PM
Strongsville, OH
Joined May 2007
2,415 Posts
Well, I didnt do a range check but I bought 2 of them at the same time and another model flew fine so I assumed this one will do better since it has the sattelite rx.
With the power off it glided fine, but when I gave it just a tad of throttle or any directional imput it started looping.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:29 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihor14448 View Post
Well, I didnt do a range check but I bought 2 of them at the same time and another model flew fine so I assumed this one will do better since it has the sattelite rx.
With the power off it glided fine, but when I gave it just a tad of throttle or any directional imput it started looping.
Severe looping under power can sometimes be an indicator of an aft CoG tail heavy condition. Some folks have had their battery come loose and throw the plane into gyrations.

Just thinkin' out loud, here.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:02 PM
Strongsville, OH
Joined May 2007
2,415 Posts
Genious! Thats probably it.... since that little strip of velcro didnt feel safe from the start... Will fix it tomorow and fly it again.
Thank you olthump!!!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:17 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
You're very welcome. Hope it helps. I'm still slowly getting mine built.

Us recovering Browns fans have to stick together.

Greg (ex Akron boy)
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:47 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,872 Posts
Quote:
If the battery isn't sliding around, the thottle-on looping is a bad servo. My first Bixler (aka Skysurfer) would do square loops when I applied throttle. It's a bad servo pot in the servo. The only fix is to replace the servo. You can check for a bad servo pot by turning on the plane and holding it safely (best with a friend) and power up and running up the throttle. A bad servo pot will start moving the servos without any control stick input. The servo pot reacts to prop vibration.

By the way, always range check a new receiver whether a HK orange or a genuine Futaba or Spektrum.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Mar 11, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:43 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Oh my gawd. No range check with a new RX?
I do a check almost every time I fly a model that has not been flown for a while.
The hardware in the SS/Bix is crap. I had 2 dodgy servos, the push rods/tubes were tight, the ESC burnt out after a couple of flights.
So I changed everything, even the motor.
As suggested check the hardware, and when you get it all sorted you will find the the model flies great.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:10 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Oh my gawd. No range check with a new RX? I do a check almost every time I fly a model that has not been flown for a while..
Oh my gawd. No range check EVERY FLYING SESSION???

Further to that, ever since I did an absolute greaser of a landing under full control, picked it up and immediately launched it only to find I had no control of anything (servos or motor) leading to a crash which left the fuz in two large parts, I check control surface movement before every launch.....

But then again, I am a self-satisfied smug git...!!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:25 PM
Strongsville, OH
Joined May 2007
2,415 Posts
Lots of good info guys. How do you do a range chack by yourself? I have a DX7 I know i can use the range check feature, but I dont have a fly buddy to tell me when the controls cut out.
I hope its not the servos, does it only do that at full throttle, I ran the motor on the ground and everything looked good.
Im thinking its a lose battery because it took off so nice with no trimming and controling it was a breze, until i made a turn thats when things started to get ugly.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Lots of good info guys. How do you do a range chack by yourself? I have a DX7 I know i can use the range check feature, but I dont have a fly buddy to tell me when the controls cut out.
I hope its not the servos, does it only do that at full throttle, I ran the motor on the ground and everything looked good.
Im thinking its a lose battery because it took off so nice with no trimming and controling it was a breze, until i made a turn thats when things started to get ugly.
It is quite easy to do yourself. The range check feature tell you to go 30 paces and that is good. I have gone 90 paces and still can see the movement of the controls.
It does help if you have a buddy or if not a pair of binoculars help if your eyes are a bit weak.
When you got to the model after the disaster flight, did you noticed if the battery had moved?