Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:41 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxandrews1 View Post
Dear UPS and China's slow boat,

Please hurry up and get these kits to the fine people at RCGroups so we can see the flight videos and mods to come.

Thank you! Sincerely,

Mr. Eager anticipator guy.

HAHAHAHA!!!! It sounds like you weren't able to secure one from the USA warehouse before the first shipment sold out yeah? Wondering how long it will take to restock the USA warehouse.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:44 PM
Joined Dec 2010
117 Posts
Thanks for unboxing review!!!

I bought this Hobbyking ESC for my Bixler:

Anyone have experience with it?
buffet is offline Find More Posts by buffet
Last edited by buffet; Jun 07, 2011 at 03:01 AM. Reason: add ESC info
Old Jun 07, 2011, 06:16 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Seemed a bit twitchy in that video
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:24 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
You're taking the short term view.
No, not quite. You will get what you pay for. Mostly you will pay for extra benefits the original might give you, like a more serious warranty, somewhat higher quality materials and so on and so forth.

In the end, I'm all for best bang for the buck and many high-end companies do not seem to care about that at all.

What does it matter if quality is on par and price gets cut in half? This is true for many clones and it's not like companies like HobbyKing aren't interested in making 'exclusive' or even truly original in-house models on the cheap either.

The problem is not designing aircraft. Plenty of real life planes can be made into RC models and plenty of planes can function as inspiration.

The problem is manufacturing costs versus what us the consumers will have to pay for a triple A brand model. It's insane.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Jun 07, 2011, 06:37 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Anyone know if the RX is Spectrum compatible? Can I use my DX7 with it?

Edit
Should be Spektrum not spectrum
sorry
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Last edited by jrjr; Jun 07, 2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 02:44 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,027 Posts
Is this model self-correcting? What I mean s can you release all controls and it will go and stay level. I heard the ez* can do this. I'm looking for a safe fpv plane that can land itself if something happens.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Jun 08, 2011, 10:25 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Anyone know if the RX is Spectrum compatible? Can I use my DX7 with it?

Edit
Should be Spektrum not spectrum
sorry

Not likely, each manufacturer compatibility is brand specific for 2.4Ghz, it's not like 72Mhz where you can pretty much use any tX with RX.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:19 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
This model is a blatant rip off of another company's intellectual property. Supporting this kind of stuff will only have a negative impact in the long run, imo.

Spend your monies wisely and support originality and innovation.
Not so, I am sure that there is only one manufacturer making this plane. Different vendors are buying from this mfg in mass quantity and then giving the plane their own name and graphics. The original manufacturer of the plane is still getting their money from the original sale to re-sellers, so Im sure they couldn't care less if someone simply rebadges it and sells it under another name. It's all common marketing technique and no one is losing money or subjected to "a blatant rip off"...
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:18 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Not likely, each manufacturer compatibility is brand specific for 2.4Ghz, it's not like 72Mhz where you can pretty much use any tX with RX.
Yea I mailed Banana and they said no
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:25 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
I think I will get the bare airframe from Banana hobby and then get my own electronics and a compatible RX for my DX7. It comes with a motor and I choose the upgrade to brushless for $10. Sound good? I don't have a lot of experience in this area though. How do these sound -

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idProduct=662

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13429
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:47 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
I think I will get the bare airframe from Banana hobby and then get my own electronics and a compatible RX for my DX7. It comes with a motor and I choose the upgrade to brushless for $10. Sound good? I don't have a lot of experience in this area though. How do these sound -

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?idProduct=662

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13429

Assuming you are in USA, why not get the Bixler from the HK US warehouse, that way you will be getting everything you need except the ESC and your own receiver and lipo. Overall it is cheaper than BH. The Bixler includes the brushless motor and all 4 servos already installed and wired.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:24 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Assuming you are in USA, why not get the Bixler from the HK US warehouse, that way you will be getting everything you need except the ESC and your own receiver and lipo. Overall it is cheaper than BH. The Bixler includes the brushless motor and all 4 servos already installed and wired.
They are all out of stock except the mode 1. I wonder if you can change the radios over?

Edit -
Yep in USA. I just updated my profile too. :-)
Old Jun 09, 2011, 05:44 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
They are all out of stock except the mode 1. I wonder if you can change the radios over?

Edit -
Yep in USA. I just updated my profile too. :-)

Hopefully they will be getting a restock at the USA warehouse in the near future.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 05:47 PM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Aug 2005
341 Posts
I just ordered one with the mode 1 radio and added a HB 6 channel, mode 2 radio for an additional $23.
ddierking is online now Find More Posts by ddierking
Old Jun 09, 2011, 06:02 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Bixler ready for maiden

My HK bixler ARF is all setup and ready for maiden. It's all stock except for the notable changes:

Removed the 6 washer weights from the nose, net savings: 55 grams.

replaced the aileron control linkages, as soon as I snapped off the plastic links to adjust the surfaces, the broke, very cheap plastic hardware which is typical of these models. I bent up my own music wire linkages and with my Zbender and a couple of EZ connector type keepers from Hobby King, the lonkages are much more solid.

I'm using a Mystery brand 30a ESC, and a HK 6x5e prop, instead of the stock prop looks very wimpy. The model with a Turnigy 2200 mah 20C 2S lipo balances just about right on the middle of the spar. AUW with this setup is a svelte 604 grams. My wattmeter tells me that at WOT, this setup is pulling just over 9 amps and approx. 74W. I plan to try an APC 6x5.5e to get a bit more thrust out of my 2s setup.

BTW, the control surfaces on this model are fairly substantial and should make it pretty aerobatic. Unlike the AXN CloudsFly that has tiny ailerons and elevator which is why that model has somewhat a lethargic feel on the sticks. The Bixler/SkySurfer looks like it will be much more lively and should have a pretty good axial roll rate. I always setup my ailerons with the most EPA and the high rate maxed out for a blistering axial roll. Paired -70% Expo to keep control response smooth and gentle right off the center for precise maneuvering, but when I bang the stick, I want my planes to roll like they are on a drill.