SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:58 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
thx....my bixler is being shipped today...should get it by next week. o ya...does the stock motor comes with 3.5mm cons?.....
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Last edited by CPMBOY; Feb 18, 2012 at 02:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:48 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Hi, I have ordered a RTF Bixler and have been extensively reading all the related posts on this forum. Since reading madly for the last three days I will be ordering pretty much every recommended upgrade. I will be using the 2200 mAh battery with a 6x4 APC prop. I understand that I need to upgrade the ESC (am i right?) but the recommended one is on back order. Will this one suffice (TowerPro W30A Brushless Speed Controller) ? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...?idProduct=658.

What Rx/Tx upgrade would you recommend?

Thank you in advance, I have the bug bad! This will be my first RC plane.
jpolsonb is offline Find More Posts by jpolsonb
Last edited by jpolsonb; Feb 18, 2012 at 03:53 AM. Reason: grammar errors
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:56 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
thx....my bixler is being shipped today...should get it by next week. o ya...does the stock motor comes with 3.5mm cons?.....
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpolsonb View Post
Hi, I have ordered a RTF Bixler and have been extensively reading all the related posts on this forum. Since reading madly for the last three days I will be ordering pretty much every recommended upgrade. I will be using the 2200 mAh battery with a 6x4 APC prop. I understand that I need to upgrade the ESC (am i right?) but the recommended one is on back order. Will this one suffice (TowerPro W30A Brushless Speed Controller) ? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...?idProduct=658.

What Rx/Tx upgrade would you recommend?

Thank you in advance, I have the bug bad! This will be my first RC plane.
If you want run a 6x4 APC the stock 20A esc will struggle. But the 30A esc will be fine.

I've been flying the bixler on a cheap HK 6Ch Tx but have got the 9X on backorder. If you are keen on getting into planks, get your self a computer radio.
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:04 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Thanks for the reply nogas.

Can you recommend a Rx/Tx setup? I want to experiment with gyros as I learn. Quite interested in the technical aspects of the hobby. Hello from Perth by the way.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
emm,
myb later i'll setup mine like this:
1. 3s 2200mah
2. 6x5 prop
3. ESC 30-40A
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:32 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Just placed a second order that covers every upgrade and reinforcement, plus gyros. I am so excited to set this baby up. Heres hoping I dont write it off on the maiden! On a side note I'll also be contributing the original parts from the bixler to knock up a first attempt at the slow COD design from the combat section on this forum, just for fun!
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Just placed a second order that covers every upgrade and reinforcement, plus gyros. I am so excited to set this baby up. Heres hoping I dont write it off on the maiden! On a side note I'll also be contributing the original parts from the bixler to knock up a first attempt at the slow COD design from the combat section on this forum, just for fun!
wats your mate?...
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:23 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
wats your mate?...
Sorry, what do you mean?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:04 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,414 Posts
Quote:
I do have a suggestion for you. When you maiden set the gyro gain to zero. Once you get comfortable flying the plane you can bring the gyros on-line.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:28 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I do have a suggestion for you. When you maiden set the gyro gain to zero. Once you get comfortable flying the plane you can bring the gyros on-line.
+1 also better to set the plane up properly without the gyro's masking any problems
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, what do you mean?
upgrades mate
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
+1 also better to set the plane up properly without the gyro's masking any problems
sorry my noob question....is there a gyro in planes?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:31 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Thanks for this tip, it led me to further reading. I'll be installing the gyros but doing my best to mechanically trim the plane before utilising them. This will of course be after I learn to fly it! The way I look at it is once I have all the upgrades and bit and pieces hopefully the plane will hold up to my learning curve, if not I can replace what I need to and/or transfer the components. From what I've read about this plane I should be right as its reasonably tough and most damage can be repaired.

CPMBOY because I'm so keen to work on the plane I'll be strengthening the empennage and upgrading the wings with carbon fibre tubes and rods, replacing the servos and control linkages (horns and clevises (is that a word?) and loctite on the threads ), reinforcing with weave tape, upgrading the ESC to 30A, possibly adding some vents for cooling, running a 6x4 APC prop, balancing the aircraft for 2200 mAh 3S 20c batteries (removing nose washers), making stable platforms for the battery and some electronics out of balsa and a velcro strap, adding a small amount of spongy foam to the interior of the nose to cushion the battery in any impact, using the hook and rubber band method to secure the wings, checking any area that came glued from the factory and re-gluing if neccesary, installing gyros for the ailerons and elevators just for fun, flexing and possibly removing the ailerons and elevators and adding hinges and tape, flexing the rudder to free it up a bit and finally securing the cockpit with a rubber band as I've read you can lose it in flight sometimes.

Because I'm keen to experiment with foamies and DIY designs I'll be looking at upgrading the Tx/Rx which will also allow me to play with the gyros and mix in rudder with aileron for playing around. Any suggestions for around a hundred dollars?
Last edited by jpolsonb; Feb 18, 2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:51 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,414 Posts
Quote:
sorry my noob question....is there a gyro in planes?
No, they do not come with gyros. They can be added just like they can be added to any plane.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for this tip, it led me to further reading. I'll be installing the gyros but doing my best to mechanically trim the plane before utilising them. This will of course be after I learn to fly it! The way I look at it is once I have all the upgrades and bit and pieces hopefully the plane will hold up to my learning curve, if not I can replace what I need to and/or transfer the components. From what I've read about this plane I should be right as its reasonably tough and most damage can be repaired.

CPMBOY because I'm so keen to work on the plane I'll be strengthening the empennage and upgrading the wings with carbon fibre tubes and rods, replacing the servos and control linkages (horns and clevises (is that a word?) and loctite on the threads ), reinforcing with weave tape, upgrading the ESC to 30A, possibly adding some vents for cooling, running a 6x4 APC prop, balancing the aircraft for 2200 mAh 3S 20c batteries (removing nose washers), making stable platforms for the battery and some electronics out of balsa and a velcro strap, adding a small amount of spongy foam to the interior of the nose to cushion the battery in any impact, using the hook and rubber band method to secure the wings, checking any area that came glued from the factory and re-gluing if neccesary, installing gyros for the ailerons and elevators just for fun, flexing and possibly removing the ailerons and elevators and adding hinges and tape, flexing the rudder to free it up a bit and finally securing the cockpit with a rubber band as I've read you can lose it in flight sometimes.

Because I'm keen to experiment with foamies and DIY designs I'll be looking at upgrading the Tx/Rx which will also allow me to play with the gyros and mix in rudder with aileron for playing around. Any suggestions for around a hundred dollars?
Get a DX6i...its a simple and easy to use tx without the unneeded programmes. I hd two at home....futaba T8FG and DX6i. I use these with my 2 450's. Let me knw when you received your bird.
Last edited by CPMBOY; Feb 18, 2012 at 09:00 PM.