to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Jun 2011
3 Posts
Bixler Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by edak View Post
okay, got my bix today.
The body is not glued so that makes it easy to attach the esc to the motor and also makes it easy to get the weights out (so I can put my 2200 3s in there).

I will go to my LHS and see if I can get better control clevis' and horns, I will also see if I can get anything to reinforce the spar.
Anything else I should look for when I am there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
I got a few hundred mm of dual lock off ebay for $5 delivered. haven't used it all yet.

I only used GG to glue the Tail (incl. Hoz and vert stabilizers and about 3 inches up the fuse) and then medium CA for the rest of it. This way it should be easier to separate if need be. I find it easier to cut CA than GG.
Just want to thank you Guys especially Edak & Nogas for your contributions on the Bixler. I returned to RC flight a couple of years back, since the mid 1970's. I have waded through this thread & was beginning to wonder if anyone else had received their Bixler with separated fuselage halves. Well I'll go & do some glueing on the fuselage halves. Thanks again Fellas !!! Cid
Cid The Merciful is offline Find More Posts by Cid The Merciful
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid The Merciful View Post
Just want to thank you Guys especially Edak & Nogas for your contributions on the Bixler. I returned to RC flight a couple of years back, since the mid 1970's. I have waded through this thread & was beginning to wonder if anyone else had received their Bixler with separated fuselage halves. Well I'll go & do some glueing on the fuselage halves. Thanks again Fellas !!! Cid
RC Foam Tac glue is a contact cement formulated for RC foam. Works great.

Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Jun 2011
3 Posts
Many Thanks Prof100. I have already obtained some foam safe CA 'ROKET odourless by Deluxe Materials. Is that suitable. Not used to these modern materials yet, it was balsa, ply & cascamite glue back then when I used to build planes. Cid
Cid The Merciful is offline Find More Posts by Cid The Merciful
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:48 PM
Hungary, Borsod-Aba˙j-ZemplÚn, Miskolc
Joined Mar 2011
162 Posts
I'd recommend UHU por or something other foamsafe glue that bonds strong but remains elastic. CA bond can break up on harder landings.
Sterby is offline Find More Posts by Sterby
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:23 AM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,076 Posts
Here's a crash video of my bixler. Built really well with take on the wings as belly.

Low Flying Bixler Fail (3 min 55 sec)

It's all better now.
RUBNorris is online now Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:30 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
FYI - I Just did an amp draw in real flying conditions.

Setup
Stock motor & prop. Hobbyking SS Series 18-20A ESC with a Turnigy S3 2200 20c Lipo.

Max amount of amps drew was 13amps at WOT. ESC was around 50c in temp while we had a 39c sunny clear day. Put about 900mAh back in the Lipo.

Readings was done from my Quanum telemetry system.

Cheers
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Well had second good flight with the Bixler today added some led strips too
Bixler 2nd flight with added lights (5 min 3 sec)
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:43 PM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
night fly by george & luke

Bixler & AXN led night fly plane was catch by cameraman at the end

Bixler & AXN led night flyIng (10 min 36 sec)
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
Last edited by Westwood; Feb 06, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 01:14 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
FYI - I Just did an amp draw in real flying conditions.

Setup
Stock motor & prop. Hobbyking SS Series 18-20A ESC with a Turnigy S3 2200 20c Lipo.

Max amount of amps drew was 13amps at WOT. ESC was around 50c in temp while we had a 39c sunny clear day. Put about 900mAh back in the Lipo.

Readings was done from my Quanum telemetry system.

Cheers
If you want some more performance, get a TGS 6x4 from HK (or even better a genuine speed 400 APC 6 x 4) but you'll need a slightly higher rated esc. The TGS pulls 19A at WOT and peaks to about 21A under hard acceleration (with the stock motor)
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Feb 06, 2012, 01:23 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBNorris View Post
Here's a crash video of my bixler. Built really well with take on the wings as belly.

It's all better now.
It bounced off the light pole pretty good, the Go pro didn't fair so well when it hit the ground though............ Was it just the case? any damage to the plane?

I thankfully haven't crashed mine................yet!!!!!!!
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:53 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
If you want some more performance, get a TGS 6x4 from HK (or even better a genuine speed 400 APC 6 x 4) but you'll need a slightly higher rated esc. The TGS pulls 19A at WOT and peaks to about 21A under hard acceleration (with the stock motor)
Thanks for the info. I might change the prop down the track, but for now I'm pretty happy with what I have.

In regards to the TGS pulling 19A at WOT and can peak about 21A.. Could I just lower my throttle endpoint to trim out a Max of 18A and peak at 20A?
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:00 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
Thanks for the info. I might change the prop down the track, but for now I'm pretty happy with what I have.

In regards to the TGS pulling 19A at WOT and can peak about 21A.. Could I just lower my throttle endpoint to trim out a Max of 18A and peak at 20A?
You can't endpoint adjust your way out of over amping an ESC. It has to do with how ESCs work. The ESC always sees max amps. The ESC uses PWM to work and providea throttle variation. It's like a really, really fast switch but it is ON or OFF, not in between, so the ESC always sees max amps whether at full or 1/4 throttle. So, either prop down or increase the size of your ESC.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:17 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
2,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
You can't endpoint adjust your way out of over amping an ESC. It has to do with how ESCs work. The ESC always sees max amps. The ESC uses PWM to work and providea throttle variation. It's like a really, really fast switch but it is ON or OFF, not in between, so the ESC always sees max amps whether at full or 1/4 throttle. So, either prop down or increase the size of your ESC.
Thanks for that. Might have a look at differnt props in the future.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 04:16 AM
Joined Oct 2011
17 Posts
Hi I am sure I have seen somewhere a perspex/plastic canopy with pilot for the Bix.Has anyon eseen one and if so do they know a link to the site.
Maybe it was home made dont know?????
If there is such a canopy could it be attached with magnets as per the original.
Thanks in anticipation.
suneagle is offline Find More Posts by suneagle