HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Jan 2011
571 Posts
I wouldn't waste your money on the ArduPilot Mega, it will probably cause your nice scarab to get damaged.

I tried with a Arducopter quad stock frame and motors, and a hexa with carbon frame and stock motors. It never flew nice and stable.

I would recommend you just get a PARIS board, on the stock PIDs, my Scarab stealth flies super smooth with the PARIS board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison256 View Post
Soo I know I should have asked this before I'm halfway through my build...

MWC Scarab Hex Frame
6 x 750kv Carbonbirds
6 x 10a ESC
ArduPilot Mega 2.0

But what kind of top speed should I expect to get out of this and what sort of reasonable forward filming speed should I expect? (I initially started this project for wakeboard filming which is around 19-24 mph)
htran is offline Find More Posts by htran
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Jan 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadslo View Post
Why do you have extra fpv camera?
besides the risk that the GOPro shuts down if you forget to switch on record, it doesn't do video out at R3 (720p60)
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
Def sticking with APM 2.0

GPS, Waypoints, Mag, SD, Full Plug and Play no Soldering, and Gimbal outputs among other things all included right out of the box for 199... thats a steal
Harrison256 is offline Find More Posts by Harrison256
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Jan 2011
571 Posts
Yeah ok lots of features, just like Android, it would be a steal if it actually worked. Its not about the hardware, its about the software.

One software version alt hold is perfect, next version the thing is bouncing like a yoyo. One day its kinda stable, the next day its all over the place. Enjoy PID tuning. i spent a year, and 2 arducopters hexa and quad, one failed oilpan gyro, one failed mux pwm channel, one failed ESC, all in random order, before I gave up and bought a Mikrokopter, and Multiwiicopter and now a WooKong.

3 out of 4 flew well and stable out of the box, however the Arducopter is unreliable and unstable. Maybe in a year it might be ok. Right now its got quantity but not quality.

However, APM on a fixed wing works perfectly.

Quote:
Def sticking with APM 2.0

GPS, Waypoints, Mag, SD, Full Plug and Play no Soldering, and Gimbal outputs among other things all included right out of the box for 199... thats a steal
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
Well considering its not out yet.... I'd wait to pass judgement on the new hardware

Plus, I've been on pre order list forever for APM 2.0 and I'm definitely not canceling it a week before its supposed to ship to purchase a product that's out of stock until March.

Anyways the point of that question was not to gain feedback on the parts I chose for my system, It was to find out top speed and film speed..

So if anyone has any thoughts on this? let me knoww
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:37 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Well considering its not out yet.... I'd wait to pass judgement on the new hardware

Plus, I've been on pre order list forever for APM 2.0 and I'm definitely not canceling it a week before its supposed to ship to purchase a product that's out of stock until March.

Anyways the point of that question was not to gain feedback on the parts I chose for my system, It was to find out top speed and film speed..

775kv motors on 4s with 9x5x3 props will give you more than enough speed for what you need. I think the max theoretical speed for the system is around 50mph. Of course, you'll never see that speed since this is a helicopter and most of the thrust is going to lift, not forward flight.
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
ahh sorry I shoulda mentioned 4s and triples, but you nailed it anyways. Appreciate the response, 50 is plenty

As long as I can work out a good camera mount that will keep the props out of view from the angle at 20mph i should be set

thanks
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:32 PM
Joined Jan 2011
571 Posts
Its not about the APM2 hardware, the APM1 hardware was good enough and the APM2 hardware is better, but the software which gives you all the features is hit and miss for Arducopter.

Good luck with it, i was so glad I put a paris board in my scarab. My APM are now just used for fixed wing.

Quote:

Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
Well software version 3.0 is coming out soon, and they recently updated their 2.x software as well so hopefully your complaints are no longer valid we will have to see though

At least we can both agree on everything else besides the flight controller it seems since were both sitting here in the MWC forums.

*If I have issues with APM I'm definitely going to hit you up for your PID's :-) for your carbon hex frame
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Jan 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
*If I have issues with APM I'm definitely going to hit you up for your PID's :-) for your carbon hex frame
And I'll tell you to stick a MWC Paris board on the scarab. :-)

My Scarab Stealth Quad Reconn flies so so nicely in manual mode with stock PIDs and 8x4x3 props. I wish that Arducopter flew as nice, and then I could use all the features.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:24 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
839 Posts
Here is my new video made with the Quad/Octa and Paris V4 board. GoProHD od Mode 5 and 3.

Scarab - December (2 min 21 sec)
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:56 AM
Awaiting software update..
United Kingdom, Yorkshire
Joined Sep 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Here is my new video made with the Quad/Octa and Paris V4 board. GoProHD od Mode 5 and 3.
Nice region (great snow!) and good steady platform but the watermark was in the way the whole time..

CPF
Ironframe is offline Find More Posts by Ironframe
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:35 PM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
839 Posts
CrazyJ, any news on the Y6 build?
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:32 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
CrazyJ, any news on the Y6 build?
Nice video dude. No, no news on the y-six. I got the new motors in the mail yesterday, but I won't be home for the next 5 days. I have all the parts but just don't have the time!
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
Does anyone know the thrust figures for the CarbonBird 775 on a 4s with the triples while I'm at it?