HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:03 AM
Creator of the 1st 6S HT-Flip!
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,431 Posts
@ap oz how do you like the stealth? how long does it fly and is it quiet? also what size bttery are you using?
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:34 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfc View Post
I have a question for those who have built a Scarab Y6. I putting one together, but already had my own carbon fiber 12mm arms. However, I'm confused as to the optimum length. In the online guide, they recommend 230mm for the length, but the arms on the Scarab Y6 kit are 290mm. What is the best length for the arms for the Scarab Y6 with the 775KV motors?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_OZ View Post
230 is the go mate. You could try 290 but during testing the prototypes we found 230 to be the best.
I'm curious about using 230 for the Y6 and if this is actually possible. I have a Scarab Tricopter with 230mm booms. If I would mount a prop below the motor (as the Y6 would do), the prop would strike the landing leg. Especially the 2 rear legs would require at least 30mm more clearance. So a 260mm boom seems to me the minium you can physically do on a Y6.
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Website and Showreel
Old Jan 05, 2012, 02:58 PM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgabor View Post
hello
yes. in GUI everythings seems ok:

i have tried reloading code, swapping things, etc

help..
So when you move the sticks you can see the values move in the GUI?
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:17 PM
www.fx-creative.com
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
So when you move the sticks you can see the values move in the GUI?
yep, exactly. and all 4 engines do their right job. in the gui.
mgabor is offline Find More Posts by mgabor
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:01 PM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
@ap oz how do you like the stealth? how long does it fly and is it quiet? also what size bttery are you using?
Hi mate, I love it. For some reason the small copters always give me more enjoyment than the big ones. Notwithstanding the fact that the bigger ones are absolutely required to unlock the ability to carry more weight and equipment.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 09:07 PM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike SF View Post
I'm curious about using 230 for the Y6 and if this is actually possible. I have a Scarab Tricopter with 230mm booms. If I would mount a prop below the motor (as the Y6 would do), the prop would strike the landing leg. Especially the 2 rear legs would require at least 30mm more clearance. So a 260mm boom seems to me the minium you can physically do on a Y6.
When I was doing the initial testing on the prototype Y6 I was running roughly 260mm arms and it was all good. However, to reduce harmonics and for the sake of testing I reduced the arms down to 230 and it just got better - knew it as soon as I took off. What you need to do is cut the legs down so you get more clearance. It's a bit more work cutting and drilling new holes but worth it from my experience. Quinton also told me straight up that he found the shorter arms were much better.

It's really a personal call and if you get the results you are looking for on longer arms you should just do it. The only thing to remember is that all the info on the MWC site has come from extensive testing from quinton, me and the rest of the team. Id hate to know how many hours goes into each airframe but interestingly we all have very different flying styles and all seem to agree on similar numbers when it comes to physical construction.

Cheers,

John
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:28 AM
So I have a head on my butt.
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2010
495 Posts
John,
Do you guys recommend putting a little dab of loc-tite blue on the bolts that hold everything together?

Jim C.
jimfc is offline Find More Posts by jimfc
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
531 Posts
Quote:
When I was doing the initial testing on the prototype Y6 I was running roughly 260mm arms and it was all good. However, to reduce harmonics and for the sake of testing I reduced the arms down to 230 and it just got better - knew it as soon as I took off. What you need to do is cut the legs down so you get more clearance. It's a bit more work cutting and drilling new holes but worth it from my experience. Quinton also told me straight up that he found the shorter arms were much better.

It's really a personal call and if you get the results you are looking for on longer arms you should just do it. The only thing to remember is that all the info on the MWC site has come from extensive testing from quinton, me and the rest of the team. Id hate to know how many hours goes into each airframe but interestingly we all have very different flying styles and all seem to agree on similar numbers when it comes to physical construction.

Cheers,

John
What do you mean with "cut the legs down so you get more clearance?" Any pictures on how this looks like?
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Website and Showreel
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:38 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
796 Posts
Yep
Quote:
John,
Do you guys recommend putting a little dab of loc-tite blue on the bolts that hold everything together?

Jim C.
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:43 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
Quote:
John,

Jim C.
I put it on all the metal nuts and bolts - ALWAYS...
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
The Scarab Avatar Tricopter with fuselage is complete! Time to fly!

MWC Scarab Avatar with Fuselage - Completed! (0 min 55 sec)
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
I just finished the weathering, and adding more details to it - NOW IT'S DONE!

Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:48 PM
So I have a head on my butt.
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2010
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
That one looks like too much fun!!

You guys have got to stop feeding my addiction!
jimfc is offline Find More Posts by jimfc
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:28 PM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,392 Posts
Quote:
John,

Jim C.
Hi Jim,

Yep, I use it on the engine bolts.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:41 PM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post

Wow!