HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:06 PM
Village Idiot!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2011
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfc View Post
Sorry - that was my error - I meant to state that mine are 12mm/11mm - 11mm inside diameter! The 10mm ID are the thicker wall versions. The ones I have were intended for a 450 helicopter.

Jim
Here you go! 11mm is .433". You could put a strip of this vertically inside with some epoxy. It would be stronger than the 12/10 arms and cheap. 48" for $3.70.

http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/pro...pID=919&cID=45
ScooterInVegas is offline Find More Posts by ScooterInVegas
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:24 PM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfc View Post
Hey John - Thanks! No - I plan to use this with a GoPro and FPV, so I don't plan to fly it too hard (gonna have to build another for that! - yeah - I'm addicted). One more thing - is the 230mm the measured length of the arm, or the length that extends from the base? I'm using the Scarab 150mm base with the custom red aluminum mounts.

Thanks for all the help, mate!!

Jim
No probs. it's total length of the boom.
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Old Jan 02, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Dec 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambert View Post
Why did I wait so long to upgrade to 4S and triples. Nice and smooth video and all the gello gone!...
What is "4S and triples"? Thanks.
-Joel G.
jdg239 is offline Find More Posts by jdg239
Old Jan 03, 2012, 12:03 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,805 Posts
4 cell lipo running on 3 bladed GWS 9x5 props.

Thats the setup im using at the moment too and it works well.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:46 AM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunt Double View Post
4 cell lipo running on 3 bladed GWS 9x5 props.

Thats the setup im using at the moment too and it works well.
Just to note, this is the prefered setup, less vibrations when you balance your props correctly, and more power at less amps, thus giving you better flight times.

Also your ESC's and motors perform more efficiently on this setup.

All the best

Danny
drmgcm is offline Find More Posts by drmgcm
Old Jan 03, 2012, 08:09 AM
So I have a head on my butt.
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2010
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_OZ View Post
No probs. it's total length of the boom.
Thanks again!

Jim
jimfc is offline Find More Posts by jimfc
Old Jan 03, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
When balancing the 9x5 props, I've gone through a full sheet of the holographic balancing tape for just 3 props. I'm putting sometimes two strips consisting of 3 layers of tape on a blade to get it to balance with the "heavy" blade.

Is this typical?
nathasm is offline Find More Posts by nathasm
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:04 AM
Quad beginner
Sverige, Stockholms Län, Österåker
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathasm View Post
When balancing the 9x5 props, I've gone through a full sheet of the holographic balancing tape for just 3 props. I'm putting sometimes two strips consisting of 3 layers of tape on a blade to get it to balance with the "heavy" blade.

Is this typical?

Sounds like very much tape or is it thin and light? I normally use 1,5 cm tape going around the leading edge on each blade opposite the heaviest. I use electrical tape, what is "holographic balancing tape"?
Dynamicc is offline Find More Posts by Dynamicc
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:06 AM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
627 Posts
Quote:

Is this typical?
Definately doesn't sound right to me, i use very little tape on my blades and only one layer.

What you should see is that once you balance one 3 bladed prop, the rest will balance in exactly the same way with tape in the same areas on the other sets of props.

Danny

PS it could be the type of tape, i use heavy tape as in the pictures bellow, so if your using light tape that could be why.
drmgcm is offline Find More Posts by drmgcm
Last edited by drmgcm; Jan 03, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Dec 2010
495 Posts
Quote:

Is this typical?
I just balanced my 9x5 triple props and this is the first time I've used these GWS triples, but I had to use 2+ layers of scotch tape on the lightest blade to balance them. I put my props on a magnetic balancer, then marked the heaviest, middle and lightest blades. I then balanced the lightest blade to the heaviest and finally added tape to the middle blade to complete the balance.

Jim
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamicc View Post
Sounds like very much tape or is it thin and light? I normally use 1,5 cm tape going around the leading edge on each blade opposite the heaviest. I use electrical tape, what is "holographic balancing tape"?
The holographic balancing tape is the tape that comes with the MWC kits. It seems pretty light so that may be why it's taking so much tape.

I guess others are using electrical tape?
nathasm is offline Find More Posts by nathasm
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:26 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i have some red balancing tape i got at my LHS
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Dec 2010
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas View Post
Here you go! 11mm is .433". You could put a strip of this vertically inside with some epoxy. It would be stronger than the 12/10 arms and cheap. 48" for $3.70.

http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/pro...pID=919&cID=45
Not a bad idea - thanks!!

Jim
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:38 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,482 Posts
does anybody know when the multiwii avatar tricopter will be released? i think it looks awesome and i would like one
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:00 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmgcm View Post
What you should see is that once you balance one 3 bladed prop, the rest will balance in exactly the same way with tape in the same areas on the other sets of props.
I dont agree with that. The 3 blade props seem to be just like 2's, they are all a little bit different and you find that out once you put them onto a balancing rig. Ive had some props that need just a tiny bit of tape on one blade, others that need quite a lot on 2 blades.

Havent tried electrical tape yet. Ive been using fibre reinforced strapping tape but im still looking around for something better.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double