HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:55 PM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
Looks great, the Paris 4.0 board is much more ready out of the box than arducopter. I got feed up with my APM as well.

Nice looking scarab.
Have to agree with you there, i got fed up and frustrated, i know this is DIY but i wanted to get flying and filming, not trying to tune the board to make my quad steady.

Paris V4 does it for me everytime, so close to the mark if not on the mark on defaults on most frames out there, and i've tried 3 other boards out there which cannot compare IMO.

Danny

PS and i am not a sponsored pilot or end user, just a very happy customer
drmgcm is online now Find More Posts by drmgcm
Last edited by drmgcm; Dec 22, 2011 at 02:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2011, 06:30 PM
Joined Jan 2011
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
Looks great, the Paris 4.0 board is much more ready out of the box than arducopter. I got feed up with my APM as well.

Nice looking scarab.
Yeah, the APM was a good learning experience, which out of frustration made me spend $4000 on a Mikrokopter. Worth every cent tho.

Although after the Scarab's maiden I would say that I would have settled for a Scarab and saved myself $3000.
htran is offline Find More Posts by htran
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:24 PM
Joined May 2011
369 Posts
New Scarab Gimbal

Hello everybody and happy holidays!

I thought i'd share a picture of my almost completed quadocta scarab. This would be my 5th scarab variation build and my first with the carbonbird motors and the new gimbal.

I really like the new gimbal...simple and effective, but I'm having some bad low frequency vibration issues while trying to carry my nex5n(I really didn't think it would be able to carry it, but it hovers at 60% throttle...I love the carbonbirds on 4s!!)...I don't think the TGY 380 servo is stuttering and causing the vibrations I just think it's normal inertial vibrations because of the weight and the relatively small rotation radius,the same setup without the tray and with the gopro mount instead has less vibrations)...there is also some play in the ball links which I guess is unavoidable. I tried to figure out a way to mount an rc car shock absorber but the only one I could get my hands on was too stiff and ended up slowing the gimbal's reaction....plus it wasn't easy to mount

Anyone tried the new gimbal? Any advice on how to eliminate the vibrations?
IconFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IconFlyer
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:35 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironframe View Post

I have this on my wish list.. Is there any advantage in adding the MWC gimbal to that setup for the GP2? I suppose unless you do flips and expect folks to watch the film (without feeling sick) a few banking turns shouldn't upset too many viewers?

Also it comes with a 5.8GHz tx/rx system for the video, is that ok for the UK? I know it can't be 2.4GHz as it conflicts with our R/C but we seem to have so many limits on what can and can't be used and ours conflict with the standards in the US so there's no uniformity (again)

CPF
The Stealth with the smaller 1200kv motors is great if you keep it lightweight - no gopro housing, no gimbals, no FPV gear. If you use 775kv motors, then the FPV gear and gimbal should be OK. I don't know about frequency regulations in other countries, but in the US you need to have a HAM license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydh View Post
How does the GoPro footage look on the Stealth?

I always thought for a steady quadcopter you needed longer arms plus the stealth seems to ignore the common rule of atleast one propeller diameter spacing between all props.

Just another thing - compared to the larger quads, what changes had to be made to the PIDs?
I think we're throwing the old quadcopter rules out the window. The Scarab Stealth with it's short booms flies super stable on the stock PIDs - thanks to the Paris & Sirius Navigator.
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:35 AM
Joined Jan 2011
573 Posts
I've flown the Stealth 4 times since I built it 2 days ago.

First flight was just hovering in my underground carpark and it was rock solid.
Second flight at the park it was good until I started medium speed forward flight, it started yawing and then banking about 30secs into forward flight, crashed into grass no damage, found one motor mount was lose allowing the motor to be able to be easily rotated. put blue loctite on all screws and tighten the motor mounts.
Third flight was in underground parking, got a bit carried away and flew into concrete pillar. Damaged a boom and prop.
Fourth flight was good in 10kt wind, I did find that going from a hover to a rapid accent using more than 3/4 power would cause the aircraft to make a woosh woosh woosh sound and appear to shake. Lower power had no shake, which would have shown up on my go pro footage.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 01:08 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Sounds like my first flights

I crashes a lot before i could fly it reasonably well.

I still suck at right handed circles (clockwise). I can make great smooth left handed circles but rights are more like boxes with round corners.

Just keep working at it. It will happen.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:19 AM
Joined Jan 2011
573 Posts
I'm still having problems with the woosh woosh woosh sound and shaking when 60%+ power is applied.

And level mode isn't really working well.
http://vimeo.com/34209040
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:00 PM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htran View Post
I'm still having problems with the woosh woosh woosh sound and shaking when 60%+ power is applied.

And level mode isn't really working well.
http://vimeo.com/34209040
Make sure everything is balanced! Then try decreasing the P a little bit or increasing the PID throttle attenuation a little bit.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 03:16 AM
Joined May 2011
369 Posts
Gimbal stutter issue solution

Hello everybody and happy new year!

I just though I'd share a solution to the gimbal stutter issue I reported before. I ended up raising the tray slightly closer to the center(using the lower two holes to on the uper two holes of the boom insert) to improve torque a bit and managed to reduce the resitance of the shock that I attempted to use by emptying out some of the silcon oil. Below are some picture of the new setup. I know it's not a very clean solution but ground tests with my nex5n show some improvement in the stutter issue. I will try to post some before and after videos once I get to it.
IconFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IconFlyer
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:56 AM
Quad beginner
Sverige, Stockholms Län, Österåker
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
For you who uses a Quanum telemetry or similar. At what voltage (cell) do you set your alarms 1 & 2?
Dynamicc is offline Find More Posts by Dynamicc
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:59 AM
Joined Jan 2011
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Make sure everything is balanced! Then try decreasing the P a little bit or increasing the PID throttle attenuation a little bit.
I've rebalanced all the props, tightened all the screws, put throttle attenuation to 0.20

Some improvement, vibration doesn't start to higher throttle.

http://vimeo.com/34245001
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:21 PM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htran View Post
I've rebalanced all the props, tightened all the screws, put throttle attenuation to 0.20

Some improvement, vibration doesn't start to higher throttle.

http://vimeo.com/34245001
What gyro are you using? if it's the ITG3200 try lowering the filter frequency. Also you can try using the 9x5x3 props (if the motors are 775kv on 4s).
Old Dec 27, 2011, 08:04 PM
France, IdF, Châtenay-Malabry
Joined Aug 2010
287 Posts
Hello my friends,

I have not posted anything for a while because I was working in preparing something… I did not like my out of range over the sea in French Polynesia, even if it was a happy end. So I married my Scarab with the Thomas Scherrer Long Range System.

This is my first try in FPV with the TSLRS and second flight with the Carbonbirds 775 combined with 0905 Tri Props. Gello is gone !!!

Regarding the Thomas Scherrer Long Range System, I have the TX V5 Pro and the RX NR 600, both received from Danish Aviation Systems. Steven Friberg there has been very supportive and helpful.

The quadricopter is a QuadOcta Scarab with a Whartox. Absolutely no problem in setting-up TSLRS with Multiwiicopter, very straight forward.

http://youtu.be/cGVeJTtdoLA

Gregory
glambert is offline Find More Posts by glambert
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:24 PM
Joined Jan 2011
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
What gyro are you using? if it's the ITG3200 try lowering the filter frequency. Also you can try using the 9x5x3 props (if the motors are 775kv on 4s).
I have the stealth quad reconn, I don't know which gyro it comes with, and I don't think the arms are long enough for 9x5x3 props

I thnk I might limit the throttle to 85%, it's got way too much power for something so small.

I have also just ordered some 8x4x3 props.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:33 AM
Joined Jan 2011
573 Posts
Some more flight tests today. Still getting vibration at high rpm.

But it it flies nice, I flew it hard and it was good, except the vibration.

I think that the 775kv carbonbird motors are too powerful for these soft 8x4 props. Aren't they designed to power the 10x4.5 props on larger quads?

The 8x4 props have too much flex and I suspect at high rpm they flutter.

I am hoping that 8x4 tri blades that I have on order will fix this, otherwise I might look for some APC props that are stiffer
http://vimeo.com/34317289
Last edited by htran; Dec 29, 2011 at 02:10 AM.