HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:08 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad2323 View Post
I just ordered one of those Orange 9ch RX the other day for my build plus I ordered a satelite for it. Thank god I stink at flying I won't be going that far for awhile lol. hope you get it back up running fast.

Chet

Man when the Scarab lost signal it was only 25 ft up and 5ft out from me. I had just preformed a range test at 50ft with no issues shortly before the flight.
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:18 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
Scarab building tip #1:
Make sure to de-burr the ends of your booms where the motor wires run in and out of (keeps your wires from being cut from sharp edges!)

Tip #2:
Braid your motor wires as they exit the boom and go to your ESC; this will help keep your wiring nice and tidy inside the frame. Additionally, use some heat shrink tubing at the start and end of the braid to keep the wires braided and to protect them from rubbing on sharp stuff when exiting the boom.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:41 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
799 Posts
Crazyj, I also lost signal when flying. I had faulty antenna. But I had luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrM7mX5mb_Y
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:52 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadslo View Post
Crazyj, I also lost signal when flying. I had faulty antenna. But I had luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrM7mX5mb_Y

Wow your faulty antenna sounded scary with the Scarab going all over the sky! :O
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:53 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
I just ordered this for my FPV setup:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17141

Hopefully it is legit and works well...
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:11 PM
can't wait to retire..
Australia, ACT, Symonston
Joined Feb 2006
591 Posts
I run the orange rx's in over 8 planes and have had no problems.
Will not be risking one in the Scarab thou as too much non-gliding $$$ tied up and also find the remote telemetry on the DX8 very good. The low battery alarm is progressive and I set it to just vibrate mode.

Just ordered a heap of 10amp esc's so I can take some weight out of my Scarab. Have clocked up about 20 flights with no problems except some oscillation on one flight which was diagnosed on landing to be a loose motor mount screw. I could hear the different pitch coming from the craft and when I hovered it in close you could see a little viabration coming from the right front boom. This was also reflected on the image with a slight wave accross the screen.

Will have some more video soon but have lost some motivation using the standard gopro as the image is very fisheye looking. As I use the factory cover I did not like the idea of hacking it to suit the Sunex so have the RageCams 2.8mm version gopro on the way which fits into the standard cover.

Pretty stoked with the stock Scarab platform. So far so good. Flew it into some fog last weekend to get some footage. Note to self, if it's bloody cold, do not fly. I was hovering about and noticed a lost of power. Thought this was probably the Lipo as they don't seem to perform very well when very cold. Ended up needing 3/4 throttle to hover so landed to find all the props iced up! Footage was also no good so won't bother with that experiement again.

Would love to build something a bit bigger, perhaps a 6 engine'd craft for better lift, stability and flight redundancy.
hobidude is offline Find More Posts by hobidude
Last edited by hobidude; Jun 28, 2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 10:36 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobidude View Post
I run the orange rx's in over 8 planes and have had no problems.
Will not be risking one in the Scarab thou as too much non-gliding $$$ tied up and also find the remote telemetry on the DX8 very good. The low battery alarm is progressive and I set it to just vibrate mode.

Just ordered a heap of 10amp esc's so I can take some weight out of my Scarab. Have clocked up about 20 flights with no problems except some oscillation on one flight which was diagnosed on landing to be a loose motor mount screw.

Will have some more video soon but have lost some motivation using the standard gopro as the image is very fisheye looking. As I use the factory cover I did not like the idea of hacking it to suit the Sunex so have the RageCams 2.8mm version gopro on the way which fits into the standard cover.

Pretty stoked with the stock Scarab platform. So far so good. Would love to build something a bit bigger, perhaps a 6 engine'd craft for bigger lift and flight redundancy.
The Scarab is darn good and very modular - makes maintenance a breeze compared to other frames...

The Orange RX's are used a lot at my field too with no issues. My Scarab seemed to suffer from somthing that caused it to fall from the sky. At first I thought it was a low voltage cut-off but that wasn't the case since the batter was still at 12.1 volts after the crash (known good battery). My only other explanations for the crash are that it was a RX glitch, or all the ESCs went into a thermal shutdown at the same time.

I will continue to use the Orange RX's in small aircraft that I don't care about, but not on the Scarab. I'm glad it didn't go down when I was flying over water earlier that day!

Please post some videos/pics from the ragecam lens when you get it. I think there are quite a few of us who are interested in buying this lens.

Cheers,
Jason
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:20 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
799 Posts
I did not like the idea of hacking it to suit the Sunex

You just unscrew the plastic lens on the Gopro case and it fits
Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:24 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
799 Posts
I just recevied and installed Frsky 2.4 module. So easy to install and use. Also the failsafe has more features now.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:30 AM
can't wait to retire..
Australia, ACT, Symonston
Joined Feb 2006
591 Posts
yeh sorry, noticed that but I was refering to the mod where people are trying to keep it waterproof/dustproof as I prefer. I have already put mine in the drink once

From what I have seen they also don't seem to cope well with accident damage with a lens hanging out the front so will go with a mod that keeps it enclosed within the housing. The extra weight doesn't seem to effect the AV performance exept for run time so small compromise for the added protection of the case.

Small plug for Ragecam....Sent next business day, $350 (HD motor version) on my doorstep on the other side of the world so not much more than a stock unit and mod done with warranty.
Will give feedback/video once tested

Plan on building another Scarab soon.
hobidude is offline Find More Posts by hobidude
Last edited by hobidude; Jun 29, 2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:43 AM
Joined Jan 2011
143 Posts
Is it possible to mod the Scarab frame to use as a Hexacopter configuration with the addition of two arms?

Love the design, but after a Hex config ...
Strudel is offline Find More Posts by Strudel
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:05 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strudel View Post
Is it possible to mod the Scarab frame to use as a Hexacopter configuration with the addition of two arms?

Anything is possible, but the Scarab quad is really designed to be a quad. The carbon (or fibreglass) center plates are milled out to fit/capture the blocks that hold the four booms. Additionally, the plates are milled out in other areas to be kept lightweight - so there isn't much material in the stock plates to mod/add boom mounts.

Sorry mate
-Jason
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
143 Posts
Hi Jason!

Thanks for the advice, too bad - because I just love the look of the equipment. They've done a great job of putting the kit together and any owner should be proud of it.

I have had another look at the website, it may be possible to order the booms and boom holders and motor mount holders separately as they offer them - and put one together with my own centre boards (with 3mm plywood then later to some composite) - and still use the Paris board.

Exciting!

Miss out on that nice plexiglass covering though ... :-(

That might be the way forward.
Strudel is offline Find More Posts by Strudel
Last edited by Strudel; Jun 29, 2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:21 PM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strudel View Post

@Strudel - We have a NEW Scarab HEXA, SCARAB TRiCopter, SCARAB QUAD XL/OCTA and and SCARAB Y6 - all due for release in 7-10 days time. All metal / 100% carbon for maximum rigidity in flight. Quinton
AlouetteIII is offline Find More Posts by AlouetteIII
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:39 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlouetteIII View Post
@Strudel - We have a NEW Scarab HEXA, SCARAB TRiCopter, SCARAB QUAD XL/OCTA and and SCARAB Y6 - all due for release in 7-10 days time. All metal / 100% carbon for maximum rigidity in flight. Quinton
Awesome Quinton! Can't wait to see the kits along with the mysterious Paris v.4 board!