HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2011, 02:36 AM
Australia, NSW, Batemans Bay
Joined Feb 2011
223 Posts
In fact, just ordered my plates... does away with the screw which locks the mount into the arm as well... heaps better method, well done Quinton.... great evolution...

Gotta say I like lots thats happening on that site..... really powering ahead....

Artie in Aus is offline Find More Posts by Artie in Aus
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2011, 05:12 PM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie in Aus View Post
Well today I was flying the Scarab without autolevel on. The first time ive done so and I have to say that in normal flying, I probably wont use autolevel unless ive got the camera on board.

Anyway thats not what happened... I was cruising around at probably 50 metres and I 'experienced orientation issues', I ended up in the sun and lost it so I shut it down... dead drop and I really thought it was 'toast'.... I shut it down cause the sea was not far away and in the direction it was headed when last seen (bring on the monocoque frame!!) Ill be the first to admit I aint real good at this..... :-)

1 broken motor mount and 1 twisted mount.... no other damage, not even a prop....... I like tough!

I think Ill order a set of Quintons new motor mount reinforcments plates.

Hey Artie,

With those motors, i'd be inclined to push the motor shaft through to the other side and mount them upside down. There would be less stress on motor mounts and booms if you had them the other way, as they look
a little on the heavy side.

BTW the new motor mounts are excellent, well made and very easy to adjust the yaw offset.

Danny
drmgcm is online now Find More Posts by drmgcm
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:06 PM
Joined Feb 2011
223 Posts
I think you are right danny, although this was originally simply a test and training bed before i fitted all the gear to this....

Ive found I like it so much Im going to keep it operational once the FG chassis is sorted and I'll run them both, so Ive got another set of running gear on the bench, cant have too many birds right?

Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:46 PM
Joined Nov 2005
627 Posts
Sweet FG frame mate, like it a lot -

Danny
Old Dec 03, 2011, 10:40 PM
Joined Feb 2011
223 Posts
Thanks mate, she lives here.... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1519094 been a lot of fun...
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:58 PM
Quad beginner
Sverige, Stockholms Län, Österåker
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
Hi!

I'm Tobias from Sweden, first of all thanks for a very nice thread!
I've been reading every post here for about 3 months and during that building my Quad (being a father to 3 kids I'm happy to get a couple of minutes once in a while )

I've come so far that its time for me to do the first steps in "wiki". Tx is set to PPM and travel to 110%, trim to 0, ACRO mode. I've connected the FTDI to PARIS V4.0, downloaded software both for FTDI and the GUI (MultiWiiConf_1_9) for MAC. Following the steps in wiki gives me the correct port in GUI and when I press start both LED's are lit on the FTDI. After that (4 sec) I press "read" but everything is "0" and I get no readings from moving my sticks on TX. I've also tried with and without powering with BEC.

Please, can someone here help me? What am I doing wrong?

And please don't "read wiki again" me

BR
//Tobias

PS. Thanks Quinton for a very nice copter, outstanding quality. I'll post some pics of it as soon as I get it to work DS.
Dynamicc is offline Find More Posts by Dynamicc
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:30 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamicc View Post
Hi!

I'm Tobias from Sweden, first of all thanks for a very nice thread!
I've been reading every post here for about 3 months and during that building my Quad (being a father to 3 kids I'm happy to get a couple of minutes once in a while )

I've come so far that its time for me to do the first steps in "wiki". Tx is set to PPM and travel to 110%, trim to 0, ACRO mode. I've connected the FTDI to PARIS V4.0, downloaded software both for FTDI and the GUI (MultiWiiConf_1_9) for MAC. Following the steps in wiki gives me the correct port in GUI and when I press start both LED's are lit on the FTDI. After that (4 sec) I press "read" but everything is "0" and I get no readings from moving my sticks on TX. I've also tried with and without powering with BEC.

Please, can someone here help me? What am I doing wrong?

And please don't "read wiki again" me

BR
//Tobias

PS. Thanks Quinton for a very nice copter, outstanding quality. I'll post some pics of it as soon as I get it to work DS.
Welcome to the thread Tobias! Congratulations on the the copter building. Did you buy the Paris board PNP, or naked and build yourself? It sounds like your Paris board may have 1.8 code which doesn't work with the 1.9 GUI. Simply update your board's code to 1.9 so that the GUI will work. Good luck and happy flying!
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:36 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Ok, here's a new product soon to be released by a very busy AlouetteIII...

It's the Scarab Avatar Tricopter with twin-twisting booms. Carbonbird 775kv motors on 4s provides super power. Excellent yaw control is obtained by two motors twisting for yaw, instead of one, combined with the reliable Paris 4 Sirius combo. The copter looks good too (just like me)!

The copter can be built for funflying, FPV or even with a scale fuselage if you are so inclined (I'm doing it!)...

Enjoy the teaser...
MultiWiiCopter.com Scarab Avatar Tricopter (1 min 33 sec)
Last edited by crazyj; Dec 05, 2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:19 AM
Quad beginner
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
Thanks crazyj,

This is the board I bought: PARIS - Quad/Tri Sirius®600MP+ - v4.0 LLC Plug-n-play
It was shipped to me on 4:th of Oktober

Should I still upgrade/reload the Arduino Code?
If so, do I need to make any changes within the code?
Uploading is made from the Arduino app, right?

In wiki it shows a picture of the PARIS V3.0 above the steps in uploading the code. Is the procedur the same for all the versions of boards?

Many questions but you got a real noob here and I'm having a bit of a problem understanding all the steps in wiki

Thanks again.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 05:37 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,801 Posts
This one was shot with the scarab. Still having some jello issues I need to sort out.

FPV QUADCOPTER - Seaside Adventure (3 min 43 sec)
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:54 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamicc View Post
Thanks crazyj,

This is the board I bought: PARIS - Quad/Tri Sirius®600MP+ - v4.0 LLC Plug-n-play
It was shipped to me on 4:th of Oktober

Should I still upgrade/reload the Arduino Code?
If so, do I need to make any changes within the code?
Uploading is made from the Arduino app, right?

In wiki it shows a picture of the PARIS V3.0 above the steps in uploading the code. Is the procedur the same for all the versions of boards?

Many questions but you got a real noob here and I'm having a bit of a problem understanding all the steps in wiki

Thanks again.
No worries man. Yeah, try uploading the 1.9 code to the board - it's the same for all Paris Boards v.2 -> v.4. Also make sure to comment/select the correct settings in the code before uploading! I think MultiWiiCopter.com has pre-configured code for download that makes it easier. Uploading is done from the Ardunio app, correct.

Cheers,
Jason
Old Dec 06, 2011, 09:03 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydh View Post
This one was shot with the scarab. Still having some jello issues I need to sort out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhAMEmHbIMw
Cool video the Jello isn't too bad actually. Lots of those shots look like they were taken while flying at speed - which usually causes more jello than usual.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 03:53 PM
Quad beginner
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
After making the changes in 1.9 code described in wiki (all but "motor stop" that I cant find in code), I choose upload. Then the Arduino app says "Error compiling"!?

What am I missing here? I tried verify 1.9 code AS IS and get the same error...

Error message from app:

core.a(HardwareSerial.cpp.o): In function `__vector_19':
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/HardwareSerial.cpp:192: multiple definition of `__vector_19'
MultiWii_1_9_TD1.cpp.o:MultiWii_1_9_TD1.cpp:3325: first defined here
Old Dec 06, 2011, 04:18 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,801 Posts
I think most of the jello has come from slop in the motor mounts. Should add the new ones available now. Also I think the camera mount needs tweaking. The jello was really noticeable when I was flying up high trying to get sweeping shots and unfortunately I couldnt use that footage.

Ive enjoyed your recent videos Jason. Were the bike race organizers concerned about the quad falling out of the sky and hurting someone? Im not sure if you could do that at a public event in Australia
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Dec 06, 2011, 05:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
627 Posts
Zip Ties

Okay so i know this is a great way to iron out an unbalanced motor casing and then you would put some tape on the side that is lightest. However after seeing these two pics on the main site, is it a practise to leave the zip ties on? and if so are there any adverse effects?

Regards

Danny