SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 27, 2011, 04:27 PM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
yes, but with Y adapters you need the props to spin the same direction, since the FC does not know it has 8 motors it has to act like there are 4 for yaw.... where as a true 8 motor config has control of all 8 motors independently.

I have not done it, but many on here have with fairly good results.
Tks for the update.

Danny
drmgcm is online now Find More Posts by drmgcm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:57 AM
Joined May 2008
41 Posts
:Hi all I plan on getting the Carbon SCARAB hexiiKopta shown here.....http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...opter-multiwii

I plan on using a ReplayXD for video and a fpv unit for visual just not sure how i'm gonna mount everything and what kind of fpv system i'm gonna use. Is everything they recommend a good setup for the camera system i'll be using?
Is the flight control board stable enough to keep the heli in one spot and self level if I get into trouble? How reliable is their electronics and what kind of maintenance(if any) will be needed on motor bearings and everything else?

if all goes well i'll be getting one by next week
VegasFreak is offline Find More Posts by VegasFreak
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:03 AM
Do it once, do it right
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFreak View Post
:Hi all I plan on getting the Carbon SCARAB hexiiKopta shown here.....http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...opter-multiwii

I plan on using a ReplayXD for video and a fpv unit for visual just not sure how i'm gonna mount everything and what kind of fpv system i'm gonna use. Is everything they recommend a good setup for the camera system i'll be using?
Is the flight control board stable enough to keep the heli in one spot and self level if I get into trouble? How reliable is their electronics and what kind of maintenance(if any) will be needed on motor bearings and everything else?

if all goes well i'll be getting one by next week

Hi. I have just finished building the hex using all the recommended motors,esc, etc. Still in the process of trimming and fine tuning.

This is my first multirotor. The level mode is a saviour. While flying in acro when things have started to go pear shaped I have just given it a bit of throttle and flicked the level mode.

Hex gains control, I stop holding my breath and can relax, compose myself and bring the hex slowly back to the ground and then breath a sigh of relief.

The carbonbird motors run very smooth and the triple props are fairly easy to balance once you get going.

For a first multirotor I have found this hex a joy to built and very stable to start with.

Only heil's I have flown in the past is a $40 co-axial IR indoor toy.

I am planning to put fvp and camera gear on it once I get proficient at flying.

I have no doubts you will love it.

Cheers

Richard
mrrf900 is offline Find More Posts by mrrf900
Last edited by mrrf900; Nov 29, 2011 at 04:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:51 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
848 Posts
I've received the new gimbal for the GoPro to fit the Quad/octa or Trikopta. Made by Multiwiicopter. So I'm just waiting for the servo to come from HK Gimabal has roll compensation.
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:11 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Cool are they selling it, I looked yesterday and saw the pic but no link to buy.
Is it direct drive.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:38 PM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
848 Posts
It is not avalaible yet, but I think it will be soon.

I will be using this servos: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8760&aff=34224
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:17 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Why not some savox or futaba's?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:35 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
mrrf900, youre a brave man starting out with an expensive hexacopter as your first multi-rotor!! Although if you do crash a scarab its usually just a broken arm or prop, the central core is super strong. Would be great to live in NZ as an FPV pilot.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:53 PM
Do it once, do it right
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydh View Post
mrrf900, youre a brave man starting out with an expensive hexacopter as your first multi-rotor!! Although if you do crash a scarab its usually just a broken arm or prop, the central core is super strong. Would be great to live in NZ as an FPV pilot.
Hi, brave or silly, I still havent decided.

Im not intending to do anything other than slow training flights around a rugby field until I get the hang of things.

One of the best things I did was put a piece of a pool noodle on the front arm for orientation. It was been a saviour a few times now. I might even end up leaving it on there.

As far a FPV goes it will be a while till I get to that point.

I have been thinking about FPV though. To a certain point it must be a bit easier to fly as you dont need to worry so much about orientation as you are always looking forward through the camera.

On the subject of FPV, of the people that are using clover leaf aerials, has anyone noticed much loss having it sideways instead of pointing up?

Cheers

Richard
mrrf900 is offline Find More Posts by mrrf900
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:00 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
With a nice stable hexacopter im sure you will pick up FPV very quickly.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Nov 29, 2011, 11:32 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
fpv has its challenges.... your camera resolution needs to be good to pick up detail and little vibrations.

g/l with the hex.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:34 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
848 Posts
Quinton suggested this one, and it was already tested on this gimbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
Why not some savox or futaba's?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:09 AM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
cool, thanks for the link then. They are digital and metal gear.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:05 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrf900 View Post
Hi, brave or silly, I still havent decided.
I have been thinking about FPV though. To a certain point it must be a bit easier to fly as you dont need to worry so much about orientation as you are always looking forward through the camera.

Richard
I just made this transition to FPV and I find it much easier than I thought. After the first 2-3 flights I could start relaxing (a little). The tricky part for me is not orientation anymore, but altitude. It's not so easy to see if you are going up or down once you reached a certain altitude. But I hope with more flights I get more used to it.
Mike SF is online now Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Website and Showreel
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:10 PM
Australia, NSW, Batemans Bay
Joined Feb 2011
223 Posts
Im suffering the orientation blues... the Tri is much easier than the quad (naturally) looking forward to viewing through the cam.... have it all now cept the goggles but Id like a head tracker.... might have to just jump in here with both feet...
Artie in Aus is offline Find More Posts by Artie in Aus