HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:14 AM
Registered User
BayAreaCrasher's Avatar
Joined Feb 2011
1,063 Posts
pretty cool, but where did you get that orange dome from?
BayAreaCrasher is online now Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:15 PM
Registered User
Mike SF's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
610 Posts
Carbonbird circlips install

I removed some dirt from the inside of the carbonbird motors and now I cannot get this tiny circlip installed. I know there special pliers out there, but it seems there are all for larger clips.

Any help is appreciated or a link to a tool that works with these small clips.
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Website and Showreel
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:23 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
crazyj's Avatar
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike SF View Post
I removed some dirt from the inside of the carbonbird motors and now I cannot get this tiny circlip installed. I know there special pliers out there, but it seems there are all for larger clips.

Any help is appreciated or a link to a tool that works with these small clips.
I would try to gently clamp/hold the motor in a vice so it doesn't move/rotate. Then take two precision pics and pull the clip gently apart and on to the shaft.

Since I've never done this before this is all theory

Here's what PIC looks like [to me] (not sure what they are called):
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:33 PM
Registered User
Mike SF's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
610 Posts
Thanks Jason, sounds like a good idea. I will try that. Those tiny buggers are hard to deal with.

I spent a long time searching for a good solution and an appropriate snap ring plier, but they all seem to be made for bigger and wider clips. On the other hand those carbon bird motors (and other motors) are supplied with a spare shaft and circlip, so I would assume there should be a method to install them without messing around too much.
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Website and Showreel
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:58 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
crazyj's Avatar
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Here's a video I shot using the MultiWiCopter.com Scarab Quad and Hexii controlled by the Paris v.4 with Sirius Navigator IMU.

The location is the O'Neill Forebay in Los Banos, CA. It was a bi-annual RC float-fly. I had more fun flying FPV and chasing the float planes, then flying the float planes I brought! Everything came home in one piece and dry.

Cheers,
Jason

MWC Scarab Hexii and QuadOctaKopta - Los Banos Float Fly (2 min 31 sec)
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:03 PM
Registered User
France, IdF, Châtenay-Malabry
Joined Aug 2010
287 Posts
Great flights Jason. Could you place your Gopro differently to avoid having the props in the field of the camera?
My props are equilibrated, my scarab is now dismantled and carefully packed in my suitcase ready to fly to Tahiti, bora bora and the other French Polynesia islands... I hope that I did not forget anything in my pack to come back with nice FPV videos.
Gregory
glambert is offline Find More Posts by glambert
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:07 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
crazyj's Avatar
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambert View Post
Great flights Jason. Could you place your Gopro differently to avoid having the props in the field of the camera?
My props are equilibrated, my scarab is now dismantled and carefully packed in my suitcase ready to fly to Tahiti, bora bora and the other French Polynesia islands... I hope that I did not forget anything in my pack to come back with nice FPV videos.
Gregory
Some of the earlier flights were in 720p so the viewing angel is really wide. When I siwtched to 1080p the props were almost out of the view on the Quad.

With the Scarab HexiiKopta I was able to mount the GoPro in a position where at 720p everything was out of the view. I will post photos of the Hexii's Gopro mount after I do a little maintenance on the copter first.

Good luck and have fun on your trip! I look forward to seeing some nice videos!
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:36 PM
Registered User
drmgcm's Avatar
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
624 Posts
Awesome video man, you just get better and better.

I bet you had ton's of fun.

Danny


Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Here's a video I shot using the MultiWiCopter.com Scarab Quad and Hexii controlled by the Paris v.4 with Sirius Navigator IMU.

The location is the O'Neill Forebay in Los Banos, CA. It was a bi-annual RC float-fly. I had more fun flying FPV and chasing the float planes, then flying the float planes I brought! Everything came home in one piece and dry.

Cheers,
Jason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rgjKcwePwg&hd=1
drmgcm is offline Find More Posts by drmgcm
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:35 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
crazyj's Avatar
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmgcm View Post
Awesome video man, you just get better and better.

I bet you had ton's of fun.

Danny
Thanks Danny! I still have a lot to learn about shooting/editing and making a good presentation/video. I get a lot of help from Quinton when it comes to what to include in the shots, and editing - he's a real PRO. You can learn a lot from guys like him.
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:05 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Stunt Double's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,779 Posts
It takes a lot of balls to fly out over the water like that. I dont mind doing it with fixed wing but youve really gotta know what youre doing with a multi-rotor. Keep up the good work. BTW crazyj I think youre ready to do fpv aerobatics..... think about it
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:15 PM
manual flying apologist
Adidas4275's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i have seen him do flips and rolls via FPV
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:44 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
crazyj's Avatar
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydh View Post
It takes a lot of balls to fly out over the water like that. I dont mind doing it with fixed wing but youve really gotta know what youre doing with a multi-rotor. Keep up the good work. BTW crazyj I think youre ready to do fpv aerobatics..... think about it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
i have seen him do flips and rolls via FPV
Adidas is correct, I have been there and done that. But, still willing to do some more aerobatics. I want to get the new Hexiikopta tuned and doing flip and rolls too - all in good time... Until then, enjoy:

MWC Carbon Scarab QuadOcta - Hot Ride FPV (2 min 13 sec)
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 01:58 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Stunt Double's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,779 Posts
Very nice. Bring a scarab or 2 down to Australia, weve got heaps of nice scenery for you to shoot.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:47 PM
Registered User
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
822 Posts
My indoor Scarab is finally flying.
This quad is suitable as a pilot trainer and indoor commercial buildings type fly-thru vehicle. It can survive quite rough landings. And with the weight of 600g it can't do lot of damage if it crashes.

motors: CarbonBird 1220kva 30g
props: 8x4,5
board: Paris 4.0 Sirius 600
Lipo: 3S 2200mah
weight: 580g
flight time: 15min

More about this quad here: Multiwiicopter.com

quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Last edited by quadslo; Oct 20, 2011 at 05:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:50 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
crazyj's Avatar
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Nice Nejc! Welcome to the Indoor Scarab club! Doesn't it fly great? The 1220kv carbonbird motors do the trick on the little and lightweight Scarab!

----

I shot aerial video of the Bay Area Super Prestige Cyclocross Race today - held at Candlestick park in San Francisco. Below are shots from one of the many friends I made today:
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Radical RC Stick 400 Build Thread~~~Now with Video Carnifax Electric Plane Talk 186 Aug 20, 2014 08:55 PM
Build Log Twisted Hobbys - Telink 43" SU 29 - Build, Fly, Vid hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 633 Aug 20, 2014 02:34 PM
Question Skywalker 3 Build Advice and Eventual Build Thread! Ecibob FPV Talk 2 May 01, 2011 04:46 PM
Discussion Easyglider Build Thread (Help wanted) worzul Foamies (Kits) 2 Mar 18, 2011 07:45 AM