HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:35 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
BTW, I just tried the new DEV code on my MultiWiiCopter.com Scarab HexiiKopta with great results! No more need for the PPM SUM device with my Spektrum RX!

Thanks to AlexInParis and friends!

Of course this is a dev code, so you use at your own risk!

UPDATE: I just found out that the P value needed to be increased to 11 to fly well - very strange. Don't recommend the DEV code now..

crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Last edited by crazyj; Oct 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:02 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,394 Posts
Great development alex!! should make 6 engines much more obtainable for people now!

p.s. like the look of your hex Jason - have you flown it yet? if so, what do you think?
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:03 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,394 Posts
forgot to ask.....

is there any other new features on the dev version?
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:17 AM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_OZ View Post
Great development alex!! should make 6 engines much more obtainable for people now!

p.s. like the look of your hex Jason - have you flown it yet? if so, what do you think?
Thanks John, yes I flew it with an old Warthox board with Wii gyro using the DEV code because I didn't want to modify the board for a HEX and use a PPM sum. So with that said the copter flies great but I think there's something very strange with the new DEV code. With the stock PIDs (p=4) the copter was really soft flight/gyros were not crisp like usual. The only way to get the copter to fly like my others on 1.7/1.8 was to increase the P to 11!

I'm going back to 1.8/1.7 code and will wait for my new Paris board to arrive in the mail. Then a real flight test will proceed.

Cheers,
Jason
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:58 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
665 Posts
Orientation help

I read in another thread that using orange or green blades are the best and easiest remedy to keep your orientation. So I painted the two front blades of my tricopter in orange and it worked really well. Very easy to spot and follow when you are flying. The paint added 1g per blade and I balanced them after the paint job.
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pictures of my Myanmar trip
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:02 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
665 Posts
Engine clips became loose

Today, after changing the battery, the tricopter started to twitch. When I came home I saw that one of the motor shaft clips became loose. I assume this was the reason for the twitching, since now I can push the prop down without too much pressure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:03 PM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
OK! The HexiiKopta is complete and flying great! The build went very smoothly and quickly. Even the first flight was perfect! The Hexii came out to about 3 lbs. (1360g) ready to fly with the GoPro and a servo-tilt camera mount. FPV gear will be installed shortly as I'm making the FPV gear modular for all my models. Anyways, below is a time-lapse video of the build and the first flight. Enjoy!

MWC Scarab Hexii - Build and First Flight (2 min 43 sec)
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:32 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike SF View Post
Today, after changing the battery, the tricopter started to twitch. When I came home I saw that one of the motor shaft clips became loose. I assume this was the reason for the twitching, since now I can push the prop down without too much pressure.
Check the other end there is probably a screw to attach the shaft to the bell of the motor.
If not... check if the shaft is all way down in the bell hole.
Dialfonzo is online now Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:11 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Quote:
I read in another thread that using orange or green blades are the best and easiest remedy to keep your orientation. So I painted the two front blades of my tricopter in orange and it worked really well. Very easy to spot and follow when you are flying. The paint added 1g per blade and I balanced them after the paint job.
what did you paint it with?
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:16 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
what did you paint it with?
I used Rust-Oleuem Fluorescent and sprayed two layers. Nothing fancy, but the rotating props are highly visible afterwards.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:19 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialfonzo View Post
Check the other end there is probably a screw to attach the shaft to the bell of the motor.
If not... check if the shaft is all way down in the bell hole.
Yes, there is a set screw which looks tight to me. Also the shaft is aligned with the bottom the same as the other motors, maybe slightly more. I will check once I get the clips back in and also use a little lock tight for the set screw.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:20 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Quote:
I used Rust-Oleuem Fluorescent and sprayed two layers. Nothing fancy, but the rotating props are highly visible afterwards.
great idea, i must try it

why just one blade? to save weight?
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:31 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
great idea, i must try it

why just one blade? to save weight?
2 blades, both front blades. The clearly mark the front "face" of the copter.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:46 AM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,877 Posts
crazyj another fine video. What is the silver material youre using to balance the props? What do you think about the motor and legs visible in your video - are you going to move things around or change the position of the gopro?
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:01 AM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydh View Post
crazyj another fine video. What is the silver material youre using to balance the props? What do you think about the motor and legs visible in your video - are you going to move things around or change the position of the gopro?
Thank you sir!

I built the Scarab WRONG with the front legs in front of the booms, they should have been behind the booms instead. I have already fixed this by switching the left and right legs - perfect!

The camera is mounted under the center section on a servo operated tilt mount. I can control the angle of tilt on a slider switch and easily get the motor out of the video frame.

Here's a pic showing the correct leg placement:

And quick pics of my camera mount & FPV stuff mounted: