HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:06 AM
Quad is the new black
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_OZ View Post
The frames are modular. you could just buy the parts individually and build one yourself.
Unfortunately the centre plates are not available in G10 as far as I can see.
rocketheli is offline Find More Posts by rocketheli
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:02 AM
Awaiting software update..
United Kingdom, Yorkshire
Joined Sep 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Here's a new quadcopter that will be offered by MultiWiiCopter.com soon. It is called the Indoor Scarab quad. The new copter is essentially a Scarab 12 Euro but with the smaller CarbonBird 1220kv motors, 8x4.5 props and really short booms.

The Paris 4 with Sirius controls the little copter perfectly. Since the Scarab is so small and lightweight (1.3lbs/580g flying) the PIDs (P) needed to be increased to about 5! Awesome stability and agility with the Paris 4 Sirius!

The key to this copter is to keep it LIGHTWEIGHT! Use the CarbonBird 1220kv motors, recommended 8x4.5 props, 10amp ESCs and proper 2200 3s battery and you'll have a winning combination! At 1.3 lbs, you can easily get 15 minute flights with the 2200 3s. For even better performance use a 1600 3s and the copter is going to ZOOM-ZOOM!

The build commenced at 8am today and the first test flight was at 2pm. Yes, I know, I'm a MACHINE...

I find it interesting that someone can just receive a kit in a box, spend 6 hours doing the assembly and set up and then go out into the field and fly it like a dream, no flipover on take off, no drop-out in flight or runaways/oscillation/unwanted spinning/leaning/wobbles...

I will acknowledge crazyj has a few hours flying/building under his belt but when using something as seemingly well designed as the Paris board with all its addons (Sirius etc.) why aren't all the other builders out there simply submitting superb videos of their flights rather than chains of pleas for help?

I guess that most of the difficulties are in the original setup through (perhaps) unfamiliarity with the GUI and screen readouts of graphs and PID numbers and so on? At the moment I'm slowly trying to assemble a Y6 (William Thielicke's BOLT) but as a novice in all departments I'm looking seriously at this one mentioned above as a possible REAL #1 build to have success with in short(er) order than the mini I'm doing. Would I be right thinking that all the 'rescue me' questions are from builders who haven't been really painstaking in their assembly and testing and fully understanding all the necessary things you have to know or, CJ, is it REALLY as easy as your time-lapse shows - you unpack, build, setup and fly?
I'd love to think it IS that 'simple' (not wishing to infer it's dead easy cos I can see it's not and I've read enough on here to know that too!)

I'll watch and wait for this hot little mini to hit the site and order one.
I'm also not suggesting for a minute that you guys aren't doing a whole lot of testing and troubleshooting but I think you can see what I'm asking

CPF

You watch - when I get one I'll be here asking Qs too - but I hope to post a maiden video like this one I've just viewed.
Ironframe is offline Find More Posts by Ironframe
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:02 AM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketheli View Post
Unfortunately the centre plates are not available in G10 as far as I can see.
@rocketheli - you must be a psychic - such a thing will exist this time next week It's intended for a special kind of Quad - but can be used for what your talking about as well..... or both
AlouetteIII is offline Find More Posts by AlouetteIII
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:55 AM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironframe View Post

I find it interesting that someone can just receive a kit in a box, spend 6 hours doing the assembly and set up and then go out into the field and fly it like a dream, no flipover on take off, no drop-out in flight or runaways/oscillation/unwanted spinning/leaning/wobbles...

I will acknowledge crazyj has a few hours flying/building under his belt but when using something as seemingly well designed as the Paris board with all its addons (Sirius etc.) why aren't all the other builders out there simply submitting superb videos of their flights rather than chains of pleas for help?

I guess that most of the difficulties are in the original setup through (perhaps) unfamiliarity with the GUI and screen readouts of graphs and PID numbers and so on? At the moment I'm slowly trying to assemble a Y6 (William Thielicke's BOLT) but as a novice in all departments I'm looking seriously at this one mentioned above as a possible REAL #1 build to have success with in short(er) order than the mini I'm doing. Would I be right thinking that all the 'rescue me' questions are from builders who haven't been really painstaking in their assembly and testing and fully understanding all the necessary things you have to know or, CJ, is it REALLY as easy as your time-lapse shows - you unpack, build, setup and fly?
I'd love to think it IS that 'simple' (not wishing to infer it's dead easy cos I can see it's not and I've read enough on here to know that too!)

I'll watch and wait for this hot little mini to hit the site and order one.
I'm also not suggesting for a minute that you guys aren't doing a whole lot of testing and troubleshooting but I think you can see what I'm asking

CPF

You watch - when I get one I'll be here asking Qs too - but I hope to post a maiden video like this one I've just viewed.
I've been building and flying RC stuff for 18 years. This is my fifth Scarab that I've built. My Scarabs have been rebuilt countless times too (have you seen my blooper video?). Lots of experience with the kits translates into knowing exactly what to do, what tool to use, and how it all should go together without looking at the instructions. With that said, I know of a few guys who built and flew their Scarab 12 with the Paris 3/4 successfully on their first try (it was their firs quadcopter too).

The Scarab kits are really well designed and made. It wouldn't have been possible to build and fly this Scarab in such a quick time frame if the quality wasn't there. The building process goes by fast because you don't have to re-engineer something, or screw around with poor quality parts. Everything fits and works as it was designed - that goes for all the MultiWiiCopter.com kits.

I think a lot of the problems we see are from people trying to rush their build, cut corners, not pay attention to the details (which makes a big difference) and use parts that are not recommended.

Anyways, I'm really glad you liked the build video and that you've been inspired to get the little Scarab. I wish you good luck too on your interesting Y-6 copter.

Best,
Jason
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:38 AM
Sees Dragons in the Clouds
Joined Aug 2011
21 Posts
Tricopter!

Hey guys--

Been following this thread since it's birth, and have been quietly building a Scarab Tricopter. It's been through multiple incarnations, from using Robbe Roxxy motors and Graupner 11x5 props, to the current setup using the recommended CarbonBird 775's and GWS 9050's on 4s.

Unfortunately, I did not compile a build log, but I can wholeheartedly agree that the kits are very well designed and go together easily. Low parts count keeps things simple! Excellent flight characteristics, VERY light and rigid, great flight times.

I'm now using an Openpilot CopterControl board (the Paris boards were always out of stock when I was putting things together, but I'm aim to get one SOON), CarbonBird 775's, GWS 9050 3-blades (much easier to balance than I thought they would be), Turnigy Plush 18amp ESC's, booms cut to 230mm, BlueBird 375 DMG tail servo, both 2200 and 2650 mAH Turnigy Nano-Tech lipos, Scarab GoPro hard mount, flown with a Spektrum Dx6i.

The result is a machine that I'm having a TON of fun with, and makes the guys I fly with jealous (and let's face it, that's part of the fun!)

AUW is around 1.3 kg. It's a little on the heavy side, but I find that helps buck the wind a little more. Still working on the tuning, but here's where I am so far:

Scarab Tricopter at Parliament Pond Part 1 (5 min 36 sec)

Happy flying!

Kyo
Kyodai is offline Find More Posts by Kyodai
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:21 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
not buying quality parts (motors and ecs) and not paying attention to detail makes a big deal.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:26 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,543 Posts
Guess what I've been building...

Here's a photo of my HexiiKopta from MultiWiiCopter.com. It's using six 775kv CarbonBird motors, six Hobbywing 10amp ESCs, and one Paris v.4 Sirius flight controller. Props are the GWS 9050 three-bladed and battery is a 4s 2650 40c. 10 minute flight times should be achievable as well as heavy lifting of multiple pounds.

Flying weight without camera gear is only 2.5 pounds (1130g).

A build video will be done in a few days.

8)
Last edited by crazyj; Oct 12, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:31 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyodai View Post
Hey guys--

Been following this thread since it's birth, and have been quietly building a Scarab Tricopter. It's been through multiple incarnations, from using Robbe Roxxy motors and Graupner 11x5 props, to the current setup using the recommended CarbonBird 775's and GWS 9050's on 4s.

Unfortunately, I did not compile a build log, but I can wholeheartedly agree that the kits are very well designed and go together easily. Low parts count keeps things simple! Excellent flight characteristics, VERY light and rigid, great flight times.

I'm now using an Openpilot CopterControl board (the Paris boards were always out of stock when I was putting things together, but I'm aim to get one SOON), CarbonBird 775's, GWS 9050 3-blades (much easier to balance than I thought they would be), Turnigy Plush 18amp ESC's, booms cut to 230mm, BlueBird 375 DMG tail servo, both 2200 and 2650 mAH Turnigy Nano-Tech lipos, Scarab GoPro hard mount, flown with a Spektrum Dx6i.

The result is a machine that I'm having a TON of fun with, and makes the guys I fly with jealous (and let's face it, that's part of the fun!)

AUW is around 1.3 kg. It's a little on the heavy side, but I find that helps buck the wind a little more. Still working on the tuning, but here's where I am so far:

http://youtu.be/8QTjs1un11E

Happy flying!

Kyo
Nice flying there Kyo. Looks like you've got the tricopter dialed-in pretty good. One recommendation, don't land in the water (you got close a few times)!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:40 PM
FPV MultiWiii
Joined Mar 2011
356 Posts
FPV Detroit's Decy of Abandoned Buildings

Urban Decay of Detroit's abandoned buildings
I tried to mix this one up a bit and not go for the usual beautiful FPV footage.
this time i went for the down and ugly side of things.
(yet it's still art in a different way)
This is some of the craziest footage i have ever taken.
FPV through buildings and burnt down homes.
Hope you enjoy it.

Detroit's Abandoned Buildings FPV (2 min 19 sec)
Tretch5000 is offline Find More Posts by Tretch5000
Last edited by Tretch5000; Oct 13, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:47 PM
Awaiting software update..
United Kingdom, Yorkshire
Joined Sep 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
I've been building and flying RC stuff for 18 years. This is my fifth Scarab that I've built. My Scarabs have been rebuilt countless times too (have you seen my blooper video?). Lots of experience with the kits translates into knowing exactly what to do, what tool to use, and how it all should go together without looking at the instructions. With that said, I know of a few guys who built and flew their Scarab 12 with the Paris 3/4 successfully on their first try (it was their firs quadcopter too).

The Scarab kits are really well designed and made. It wouldn't have been possible to build and fly this Scarab in such a quick time frame if the quality wasn't there. The building process goes by fast because you don't have to re-engineer something, or screw around with poor quality parts. Everything fits and works as it was designed - that goes for all the MultiWiiCopter.com kits.

I think a lot of the problems we see are from people trying to rush their build, cut corners, not pay attention to the details (which makes a big difference) and use parts that are not recommended.

Anyways, I'm really glad you liked the build video and that you've been inspired to get the little Scarab. I wish you good luck too on your interesting Y-6 copter.

Best,
Jason
Thanks for the feedback Jason - any idea of the ETA of the quad you demo there? I think I will be building that sooner than finishing the BOLT since I have to make up the I2C units and they are 16mm x 12mm, populated with SMD parts and I have 6 to do..

If there's a shopping list of parts, I could get those ordered since I have a large box being put together at HK and I'm 991g in hand on a 5kg postage rate! Waiting on an Eagle Tree part (mid Nov latest est of del at ET) so I could get a head start on being all ready for when MWC put this one out for purchase. Thinking of postponing the delaying part to get access to everything else.
Your list of parts would be most useful since that combo evidently works. Can it be used as a camera ship - with something like the CCD-killer which is very very light?

I guess starting a RC bits box can never have too much stuff in it..

CPF
Ironframe is offline Find More Posts by Ironframe
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:48 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretch5000 View Post
Urban Decay of Detroit's abandoned buildings
I tried to mix this one up a bit and not go for the usual beautiful FPV footage.
this time i went for the down and ugly side of things.
(yet it's still art in a different way)
This is some of the craziest footage i have ever taken.
FPV through buildings and burnt down homes.
Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfb8DoE2TtU
Sweet video and awesome risky flying! You could have chosen a different song, Mr. Black Sheep... I think run-down buildings and ruins are spectacular FPV choices.

Part 3 of my trip to San Francisco I FPV'd around the ruins of Sutro Baths, build in the 1890's.

This is what it used to look like:

This is what it looks like now:
MWC Scarab QuadOcta - San Francisco Part 3 (2 min 9 sec)
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:04 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Jason - any idea of the ETA of the quad you demo there? I think I will be building that sooner than finishing the BOLT since I have to make up the I2C units and they are 16mm x 12mm, populated with SMD parts and I have 6 to do..

If there's a shopping list of parts, I could get those ordered since I have a large box being put together at HK and I'm 991g in hand on a 5kg postage rate! Waiting on an Eagle Tree part (mid Nov latest est of del at ET) so I could get a head start on being all ready for when MWC put this one out for purchase. Thinking of postponing the delaying part to get access to everything else.
Your list of parts would be most useful since that combo evidently works. Can it be used as a camera ship - with something like the CCD-killer which is very very light?

I guess starting a RC bits box can never have too much stuff in it..

CPF
If you can wait (not sure how long) there might be a bundled package for the frame, motors, escs, and controller, etc for the Indoor Scarab Quad.

But if you can't wait here are the parts:

Frame: http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...-12-quadx-euro
Motors: http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...icopter-motors
Props: http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...-pairs-8-props
Frame tool: http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...-16th-1-5875mm
ESCs: http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...-10-amp-flyfun
Controller board:
http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...lc-plug-n-play

The main difference between the Euro frame and the Indoor Scarab frame are the boom lengths. The Indoor's booms are only 150mm long. Build it lightweight with the motors and ESCs recommended, and it will fly awesome.

The Indoor Scarab has lots of power, so I do believe it can lift a lightweight FPV setup. In my opinion, you don't need a PAN/TILT setup for the FPV camera on a quadcopter.

Cheers,
Jason
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:01 PM
Sees Dragons in the Clouds
Joined Aug 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Nice flying there Kyo. Looks like you've got the tricopter dialed-in pretty good. One recommendation, don't land in the water (you got close a few times)!
Thanks! Yeah, I was dipping the landing gear in the water Recently I've had this obsession with flying low...dunno what that's all about, but it's fun!

My FPV tx and camera got destroyed in a recent quadcopter *mishap*, but replacements should arrive shortly. FPV videos to follow. I almost prefer to FPV my cheaper small frames, as I like to fly proximity. The trees in my area tend to reach out and grab my multi's with alarming regularity. So far, my Scarab flights have been only LOS...but, it just flies too nicely to NOT get a few FPV flights!

Kyo
Kyodai is offline Find More Posts by Kyodai
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:27 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
552 Posts
Quote:
[COLOR=Blue]

I have a Scarab Tricopter and flew it today the second time. It flies beautifully, very smooth. Both in ARCO and LEVEL mode. I had some anxiety to get it into the air the first time. But once you are over the first two lift offs, it's actually quite easy. I had one "major" problem with the YAW direction being wrong. Apperantly this depends on the servo brand you use and I broke one boom during the first lift off. But once this was fixed, it just needed to do the usual trimming.

There is a great thread that explains in detail how to set up the GUI and TX for your tricopter and how to check that everything is ok before you start flying. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348268

It was a steep learning curve for me, but not so much the building process (the Scarab copters come with detailed instructions), instead understanding the GUI, the config parameters, the sketch params and should I use the WP+, or the 3200 gyro. Or just to understand the difference between ARCO and LEVEL mode. I guess you have to be prepared to spend some real time in the beginning.

Btw. I saw that Quinton has improved the website a lot during the last week. There is now more documentation online and even 1.8.2 software downloads specifically for each copter they support.
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Website and Showreel
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:56 PM
FPV MultiWiii
Joined Mar 2011
356 Posts
Quote:
Sweet video and awesome risky flying! You could have chosen a different song, Mr. Black Sheep... I think run-down buildings and ruins are spectacular FPV choices.

Part 3 of my trip to San Francisco I FPV'd around the ruins of Sutro Baths, build in the 1890's.

This is what it looks like now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3MVjgllk24&hd=1
i first heard that song on a wingsuit video a few years ago and loved it.
i forgot that BS used it as well. oh well it went good with the video..lol

i agree ruins are great for FPV. everyone is saying i should have shot the good parts of detroit as well. but the problem with that is, the good parts have people all over the place. can't exactly fly over a crowd of people or populated city.. it's not worth it.

nice smooth video BTW. love the shots over the water..
Tretch5000 is offline Find More Posts by Tretch5000