SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:31 AM
Registered User
Mike SF's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nek View Post
Hey guys a quick question, my friend's tricopter scarab is 860g with GoPro and no LiPo. Is that a good weight for it or should I tell him to start shortening some wires

Just asking because we did a little comparison and with the same onboard stuff my diy wood tri is the exact same weight.
Mine is 705g without GoPro and no LiPo. A GoPro with housing and battery is 167g so 860g is very close to mine.
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Website and Showreel
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:32 PM
Registered User
BayAreaCrasher's Avatar
Joined Feb 2011
1,076 Posts
So if I were to be coming from a witespy 450 quad to a scarab, could I potentially use the same motors and props or do I need to go to a 4S setup?
BayAreaCrasher is offline Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:41 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
crazyj's Avatar
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderLustMan View Post
So if I were to be coming from a witespy 450 quad to a scarab, could I potentially use the same motors and props or do I need to go to a 4S setup?
You could potentially use the same motors on the original Scarab 12 on 3s. 4s and the CarbonBird motors on any Scarab is a match made in heaven. The larger Scarab QuadOcta should use the CarbonBird motors on 4s for BEST results.

Good luck!
Jason
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:59 AM
manual flying apologist
Adidas4275's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
didnt notice my question was answered before
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Last edited by Adidas4275; Oct 11, 2011 at 01:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:47 PM
manual flying apologist
Adidas4275's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
They are similar sized motors to the KDA but with lower KV (775), better bearings and longer wires to go though the boom.

Ultimately, I think the CarbonBirds are a much better choice, especially when running on 4s - great performance and run time!

I will be getting some more motors soon and can test the amp draw with different props. I can't easily measure thrust at the moment, but will try!

i like the price point on the carbon's but i already own 7 KDA 20-22ls

I am looking at revamping my hanger to have a heavy lifting Y-6 and a foldable lighter x4

so I am really looking for heavy lifting motors for my Y-6, the Quad will use my KDAs for now.


I am looking at the scarab Y-6 but I really need something that is easy to take apart and put together, as I will be traveling with it, and will have larger gear (like the droidworx with a gimble)

from all of your experiences with the larger frame is it easier to remove the booms and put them back together?

with the small frame it was hard to work on because you had to remove the FC before working with all the screws.


should I look else where for a traveling Y-6?
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:04 PM
All who wander are not lost
w2hef's Avatar
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined May 2011
305 Posts
The only folding ones i've seen is the new xAircraft x650 V4-8 or the Gaui 500x
w2hef is offline Find More Posts by w2hef
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:59 PM
manual flying apologist
Adidas4275's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Yeah there are others, I am not looking for a folding Y-6 but rather one that can be assembled and desemebled on a regular basis without major work.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:25 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
crazyj's Avatar
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
Yeah there are others, I am not looking for a folding Y-6 but rather one that can be assembled and desemebled on a regular basis without major work.
The Scarabs with there round booms are super easy to break down and assemble. When first building the Scarab leave the motor and ESC wires long and solder 2mm bullet plugs on them. This way you can easily disconnect the motor from the ESC without pulling apart the copter. To remove a boom simply loosen the 4 screws on a boom mount and slide out the boom/motor assembly, reverse the process to install the boom.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose.
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:29 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
crazyj's Avatar
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
NEW - Indoor Scarab Quadcopter

Here's a new quadcopter that will be offered by MultiWiiCopter.com soon. It is called the Indoor Scarab quad. The new copter is essentially a Scarab 12 Euro but with the smaller CarbonBird 1220kv motors, 8x4.5 props and really short booms.

The Paris 4 with Sirius controls the little copter perfectly. Since the Scarab is so small and lightweight (1.3lbs/580g flying) the PIDs (P) needed to be increased to about 5! Awesome stability and agility with the Paris 4 Sirius!

The key to this copter is to keep it LIGHTWEIGHT! Use the CarbonBird 1220kv motors, recommended 8x4.5 props, 10amp ESCs and proper 2200 3s battery and you'll have a winning combination! At 1.3 lbs, you can easily get 15 minute flights with the 2200 3s. For even better performance use a 1600 3s and the copter is going to ZOOM-ZOOM!

Here is a video of it being built and test flown by yours truly:

MWC Scarab Stealth Amour - Build and 1st Flight (2 min 9 sec)


The build commenced at 8am today and the first test flight was at 2pm. Yes, I know, I'm a MACHINE...
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:22 PM
Quad is the new black
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2011
66 Posts
I wouldn't class that as an indoor quad unless you live in a warehouse! It doesn't look much smaller than my (hopefully) soon to be completed 'outdoor' quad.

More importantly when will MWC release an affordable hex frame kit along the lines of the scarab 12. That's what I'm hanging out for!
rocketheli is offline Find More Posts by rocketheli
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:22 PM
disenfranchised...
AP_OZ's Avatar
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
indoor SCARAB is looking good mate!!
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:23 PM
disenfranchised...
AP_OZ's Avatar
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketheli View Post
I wouldn't class that as an indoor quad unless you live in a warehouse! It doesn't look much smaller than my (hopefully) soon to be completed 'outdoor' quad.

More importantly when will MWC release an affordable hex frame kit along the lines of the scarab 12. That's what I'm hanging out for!
The frames are modular. you could just buy the parts individually and build one yourself.
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:27 PM
disenfranchised...
AP_OZ's Avatar
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
i like the price point on the carbon's but i already own 7 KDA 20-22ls

I am looking at revamping my hanger to have a heavy lifting Y-6 and a foldable lighter x4

so I am really looking for heavy lifting motors for my Y-6, the Quad will use my KDAs for now.


I am looking at the scarab Y-6 but I really need something that is easy to take apart and put together, as I will be traveling with it, and will have larger gear (like the droidworx with a gimble)

from all of your experiences with the larger frame is it easier to remove the booms and put them back together?

with the small frame it was hard to work on because you had to remove the FC before working with all the screws.


should I look else where for a traveling Y-6?
All the available multicopters around at the moment offer similar challenges when wanting something that can be broken down & rebuilt easily.

The best thing you can do is just build the model to fit the requirements through the use of bullet plugs. It wont be very difficult.. I have pulled apart my hex a few times to travel with and it probably takes about 20 mins to pull apart and pack up and about the same to put back together. This could be done quicker but i am quite pedantic with my models and check, double and sometimes triple check components.

The only thing I would recommend is making sure you have heaps of spare hardware so you dont strip the screws and can't reassemble.
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:27 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
crazyj's Avatar
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketheli View Post
I wouldn't class that as an indoor quad unless you live in a warehouse! It doesn't look much smaller than my (hopefully) soon to be completed 'outdoor' quad.

More importantly when will MWC release an affordable hex frame kit along the lines of the scarab 12. That's what I'm hanging out for!
Haha, yeah it's an Indoor Quad if you hover/fly gently inside. Either way, it's a cool little Scarab quadcopter. It's so lightweight and peppy - lots of fun to fly! I just flew for almost 10 minutes on a 2s 1600 in my living room (15'x15' room). The 2200 3s gives about 15 minutes of flying, you almost get board with such a long flight time. I think the next thing is to mount a small 5.8Ghz FPV system on it and go on some long adventures.
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:08 AM
manual flying apologist
Adidas4275's Avatar
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_OZ View Post
All the available multicopters around at the moment offer similar challenges when wanting something that can be broken down & rebuilt easily.

The best thing you can do is just build the model to fit the requirements through the use of bullet plugs. It wont be very difficult.. I have pulled apart my hex a few times to travel with and it probably takes about 20 mins to pull apart and pack up and about the same to put back together. This could be done quicker but i am quite pedantic with my models and check, double and sometimes triple check components.

The only thing I would recommend is making sure you have heaps of spare hardware so you dont strip the screws and can't reassemble.

yeah, i already have bought like 3 packs of your 2mm button head screws and the scarab tool.

I just sold my original scarab 12 frame, so hopefully soon ill be building my Y-6
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Radical RC Stick 400 Build Thread~~~Now with Video Carnifax Electric Plane Talk 186 Aug 20, 2014 08:55 PM
Build Log Twisted Hobbys - Telink 43" SU 29 - Build, Fly, Vid hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 633 Aug 20, 2014 02:34 PM
Question Skywalker 3 Build Advice and Eventual Build Thread! Ecibob FPV Talk 2 May 01, 2011 04:46 PM
Discussion Easyglider Build Thread (Help wanted) worzul Foamies (Kits) 2 Mar 18, 2011 07:45 AM