Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:53 PM
can't wait to retire..
Australia, ACT, Symonston
Joined Feb 2006
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
The Scarab was out 200 meters on the side of a hill and it suddenly flipped on it's back and went down. It was far enough away where I couldn't tell want caused it, maybe a prop came loose? The grass is about 1.5 meters high with even larger/thicker bushes the size of small homes. I tried looking for it over the span of many hours over the course of 5 days. Even took a machete out and started cutting into the bushes looking for it, and someone called the police on me! I lost everything, including my GoPro camera...

Anyways, I bought a new Scarab, GoPro and electronics, now it's just a waiting game for the post office, FedEx and UPS to deliver the goods.
Bugger, was that your first flight with the camera or do you have some footage using that mount?

Hope you included a lost model alarm in your recent order
hobidude is offline Find More Posts by hobidude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:58 PM
can't wait to retire..
Australia, ACT, Symonston
Joined Feb 2006
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salisbug View Post
I'm running out of excuses.....

GoPro arrived yesterday, wire, strip lights, servo plugs & prop adaptors today.

I think that's all I need to complete her. Where do I buy some motivation?
Knowing that the slowest builder out there has his in the air should be motivation enough

Just revised my gopro mount so there is no landing gear in shot. Will post a photo.
Don't throw away the packaging. Its the most universal mount there is.
hobidude is offline Find More Posts by hobidude
Old Jun 16, 2011, 08:33 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobidude View Post
Bugger, was that your first flight with the camera or do you have some footage using that mount?

Hope you included a lost model alarm in your recent order
I have one video of nothing interesting, it's of a 30 second hover in my small living room. :P

I have 10 LMAs in the mail, and plan to sell some to the local flying guys, as they can benefit from them too. I know I helped one fellow out by doing video ops with my older quadcopter over a field looking for his downed airplane, we never did find it!
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Jun 17, 2011, 01:57 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
156 Posts
Thanks for that Alouette111
And I guess that there is no switch, Just like the Walkera heli setups.

Man I am getting close to ordering. I Just have to work out what board to use.
Swampbuoy is offline Find More Posts by Swampbuoy
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:42 AM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbuoy View Post
Thanks for that Alouette111
And I guess that there is no switch, Just like the Walkera heli setups.

Man I am getting close to ordering. I Just have to work out what board to use.
@swampboy - As multicopters are 100% fly-by-wire with single redundancy (no duplicated or triplicated systems you would expect on an Airbus, no autorotation and no wings) I design all of my personal copters to be as reliable as possible - for this reason I would not be recommending a power switch like the one you linked to - I just see that as weight - and risk. It is also important to do a pre-flight and check all connectors are locked firmly. This is also the reason I supply the extra long 2mm gold connectors and recommend removing the short 3.5mm connectors which are (poorly) induction soldered at the motor factories, using FLUX, and recommend frequency hoping Rx over basic 2.4 Rx like DSM2.

Because all multiWii based copters use/share the same software (which controls the vehicle) the main job of the hardware is to be super tough, electrically speaking. PARIS boards are full 2mm thickness and use triple thickness 105 copper traces for the least resistance; Same applies to SCARAB - the carbon is slightly more expensive but is many times stronger than fibreglass or aluminium - especially in terms of the rigidity of the aircraft in-flight - but all these things won't count as much as your personal skill to make sure you tune your personal copter to the max, or how well you can balance props on a magnetic balancer. Ultimately your sensors will ask for a silky smooth magic carpet ride - and that takes time and a lot of effort from each pilot/modeller - not something money can buy.

Take a look at Trech5000's PARIS v3.0 plug-n-play equipped Tricopter at 2:24 - A repeat customer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3hXsE0Zvxs
AlouetteIII is offline Find More Posts by AlouetteIII
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:03 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
156 Posts
Thanks for the link..That was some good flying. I have some work ahead of me to be close to that type of flying.

I just thought that a switch was like a safety device. Like a quick shut down if something goes wrong.

I like the on board vid action , thats the direction that I want to go in with my first quad.
The SCARAB is a great looking frame. But is the carbon frame worth $100 more than the Alum frame. Is it worth the extra $ for a carbon frame?
I guess if I am going to do this I want to do it right. Thats why all the Questions.

What do you guys recommend for the motors? I would love to fit Scorpion motors but they are a bit on the high side of my budget.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:07 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
156 Posts
So what is a good board for the Scarab frame? The paris or the warthox FPV?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:49 AM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
650 Posts
Quote:
So what is a good board for the Scarab frame? The paris or the warthox FPV?
SCARAB 12mm is designed around these parameters -
  • 10 amp ESCs x 4 - preferably running 4S (All low kva motors run way better on 4S - efficiency wise - also makes full use of the ESC 168watts - over 126watts on 3S - same wires. Use 4S
  • Motors are best between 35g - 75g
  • Wires - 20AWG wires
  • LiPo 150-180g
  • Props 8x4 or 10x4.5
  • Recommended boom length depends on motor weight ~230mm Ali -270mm-Carbon

General recommendation is bigger is NOT better for ESC and motors - see the GEAR LIST here - Carbon flies better because it is more rigid - it's a material property - Race cars don't use carbon only because its lighter - it's main features is strength and rigidity for it's weight. But if you are going to crash a lot - then the aluminium booms are cheaper to replace..... that's why the carbon comes with a set of Ali booms - for the first few flights while the pilot settles down.
AlouetteIII is offline Find More Posts by AlouetteIII
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:15 AM
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined May 2005
631 Posts
Quote:
I am looking buying a Scarab air frame and a Paris board to start me off in the world of multi rotors.
Just one Question at the moment. Can you get a power board to fix all the ESCs to and a switch ?
Like this one in the link.http://www.multicopter.kr/skin/goods...xcopter_26.jpg
not that this is some break thu design, but its what I do when I built my quads

hauntfreaks is offline Find More Posts by hauntfreaks
Old Jun 18, 2011, 01:57 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntfreaks View Post
not that this is some break thu design, but its what I do when I built my quads

That looks neat, clean and safe. I might use that idea
So those wires at the top and center of your pic go straight to your lipo.
Itís a four-way deans connection.

Thank for sharing
Old Jun 18, 2011, 02:03 AM
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined May 2005
631 Posts
Quote:
That looks neat, clean and safe. I might use that idea
So those wires at the top and center of your pic go straight to your lipo.
Itís a four-way deans connection.

Thank for sharing
yep there female deans for center (cross) and male for ESC's

and yes.... those wires go to another male dean for the lipo....

this makes for VERY fast ESC and Boom replacement
hauntfreaks is offline Find More Posts by hauntfreaks
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:10 PM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
813 Posts
I've cut the booms to 230mm in length. The quad is now more stable in windy conditions.

Now the take off weight (2200 3S, without plastic cover and 10x4.5 props) is : 844g
And I could also shorten the wires in the booms and save another 15g.
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:23 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadslo View Post
I've cut the booms to 230mm in length. The quad is now more stable in windy conditions.

Now the take off weight (2200 3S, without plastic cover and 10x4.5 props) is : 844g
And I could also shorten the wires in the booms and save another 15g.

Nice quadslo, I got my replacement Scarab flying yesterday. Soon some nice videos will follow.
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:03 PM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
813 Posts
Crazyj, which setup will you have now?
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:42 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Nov 2005
1,324 Posts
Hello all think I might go with the scarab frame for my first build. I'm going to use the cc board . On their site they have a list of motors to use and I'm thinking on going with these
2210N 1000Kv Brushless Motor and TURNIGY Plush 10amp 9gram Speed Controller. I'm just not sure what size motor would be better. I'm not a sport flyer just want to do some fpv with my gopro. There is so many motor combinations and I get lost on whats the best. I also like the 2830-13 850KV Outrunner Brushless Motor from Rctimer. Just wondering what you guys think.

Thank's
Chad2323 is online now Find More Posts by Chad2323