HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2011, 03:59 AM
can't wait to retire..
Australia, ACT, Symonston
Joined Feb 2006
595 Posts
Mine seems to work well as a photo/video platform and am happy with the higher speed stability of the Scarab as a 1400gr platform.

first camera flight testing with various camera angles. no FPV yet

Scarab video test 1 (2) (4 min 47 sec)
hobidude is offline Find More Posts by hobidude
Last edited by hobidude; Jun 08, 2011 at 03:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2011, 05:25 AM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobidude View Post
Mine seems to work well as a photo/video platform and am happy with the higher speed stability of the Scarab as a 1400gr platform.

first camera flight testing with various camera angles. no FPV yet
http://www.youtube.com/user/hobidude.../0/F8W_9CnpS_s
hobidude - I have to complement you on your advanced modelling skills, balancing and set-up, and your flying - very nice work - Brings joy to my heart ot see a carbon airframe is such skilled and capable hands

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1306985799

HobiDude's Scarab - very smooth setup - well balanced props and very steady vision in your video link. Quinton
AlouetteIII is offline Find More Posts by AlouetteIII
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 07, 2011, 06:36 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
839 Posts
Here is my flight test. Scarab and the Gopro with sunex lens.

Video is straight from the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGnePV50Sys
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:06 AM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlouetteIII View Post
hobidude - I have to complement you on your advanced modelling skills, balancing and set-up, and your flying - very nice work - Brings joy to my heart ot see a carbon airframe is such skilled and capable hands

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1306985799

HobiDude's Scarab - very smooth setup - well balanced props and very steady vision in your video link. Quinton
I agree with Quinton, well done Hobidude! Awesome setup with the antennas/RX placement and ultimate design/layout to make a stable and reliable AP machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadslo View Post
Here is my flight test. Scarab and the Gopro with sunex lens.

Video is straight from the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGnePV50Sys
That's nice Quadslo, the Sunex lens really helps reduce the fish eye effect.

I can't wait to see some more videos from both of you guys.

Cheers,
Jason
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:32 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobidude View Post
show me the gimbal!

my Scarab is now on a diet and I need to change the GoPro mount so footage does not incude landing gear....

I'm really loving my gimbal, and will put the finishing touches on it tonight. Photos will be posted tonight. It's the simplest gimbal I've ever made - strongest and most lightweight too.

The entire assembly weights only 45 grams, including two EXI digial micro servos for pitch and roll axis. The assembly attaches to the frame with ease (o-rings), and can be quickly removed. In the event of a crash it can "break off" without causing much damage to the gimbal or camera (hopefully)!

Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
I'm done building my Scarab and I have completed a custom made GoPro gimbal for it too! It works really well and I'm the happiest AP flyer today!

The gimbal is made from a fiberglass tube, little pieces of carbon rod, basswood, Dubro ball links, EXI digial 9 gram MG servos.

Cheap, simple and lightweight (45 grams)!

Take a look:

Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:02 PM
can't wait to retire..
Australia, ACT, Symonston
Joined Feb 2006
595 Posts
Pretty crazy looking bit of gear crazy. I will be very interested to see some on board footage and info on how you have wired and configured it to give smooth results.

Is this purely for arial capture rather than FPV?

I wouldn't stress too much about weight. My Scarab flys fine at 1400gr and still gives me a 9 minute flight from a 1.8hr pack. Very efficient craft.

I am in the process of making my gopro pivot but want to retain the protective case which doesn't work out too bad as it already has a vertical pivot point on the base. I have a servo stuck to the side of the case which levers off the base mount through a half length servo horn giving good progresive movment. I also want to keep the camera mounted as centrally as possible so it is not effected by any motor viabration and doesn't mess with the overall balance of the Scarab.

Thanks for the feedback re my first video capture flight. I will have to forward it to the club guys in case they want to put a cut down version on their site.
I will ditch the ping pong ball now as that orange saftey tape on the booms is hard to miss.

Can't wait to take it out again.

Cheers
hobidude is offline Find More Posts by hobidude
Last edited by hobidude; Jun 07, 2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:35 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Hello Hobidude, yes it will be for AP not FPV. I don't have the $$$ for FPV gear at the moment. A GoPro will have to suffice, and it usually does!

I totally understand the non-concern about weight, but some people are still picky about it so I mention it... I'm very happy with how my Scarab turned out, very light weight and agile. I didn't realize that with the long booms you will need to reduce the P. The first flight with my Scarab was with the default P of 4 and it was too much and gentle oscillations were apparent. The level mode default of 14 was way too much and the copter oscillated a lot - yikes! Never before have I encountered such a sensitive copter. Must be the lightweight/low inertia!

You get 9 minutes on an 1.8 battery wow! I haven't tested the flight time yet on mine, still tuning it, but I'm excited to have long flights like that! Some more tuning will be necessary before I mount the GoPro and put the gimbals to use. Stay tuned....
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:25 PM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
839 Posts
Very nice camera mount. Did you try if there are any vibrations? If there are, try to mount Moongel on the booms and place the camera mount boom on the top of the gel.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:15 AM
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,232 Posts
I'm running out of excuses.....

GoPro arrived yesterday, wire, strip lights, servo plugs & prop adaptors today.

I think that's all I need to complete her. Where do I buy some motivation?
salisbug is online now Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:51 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salisbug View Post
I'm running out of excuses.....

GoPro arrived yesterday, wire, strip lights, servo plugs & prop adaptors today.

I think that's all I need to complete her. Where do I buy some motivation?

Just do it! You won't regret building it! I'm building a second Scarab, since I lost the first one in some tall weeds
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:01 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
839 Posts
You lost it?

What was the cause?

I've build new Gopro mount. Will post some pictures later.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:11 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadslo View Post
You lost it?

What was the cause?

I've build new Gopro mount. Will post some pictures later.
The Scarab was out 200 meters on the side of a hill and it suddenly flipped on it's back and went down. It was far enough away where I couldn't tell want caused it, maybe a prop came loose? The grass is about 1.5 meters high with even larger/thicker bushes the size of small homes. I tried looking for it over the span of many hours over the course of 5 days. Even took a machete out and started cutting into the bushes looking for it, and someone called the police on me! I lost everything, including my GoPro camera...

Anyways, I bought a new Scarab, GoPro and electronics, now it's just a waiting game for the post office, FedEx and UPS to deliver the goods.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:54 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
156 Posts
I am looking buying a Scarab air frame and a Paris board to start me off in the world of multi rotors.
Just one Question at the moment. Can you get a power board to fix all the ESCs to and a switch ?
Like this one in the link.http://www.multicopter.kr/skin/goods...xcopter_26.jpg
Swampbuoy is offline Find More Posts by Swampbuoy
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:10 PM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbuoy View Post
I am looking buying a Scarab air frame and a Paris board to start me off in the world of multi rotors.
Just one Question at the moment. Can you get a power board to fix all the ESCs to and a switch ?
Like this one in the link.http://www.multicopter.kr/skin/goods...xcopter_26.jpg
@Swamp - SCARAB is a small QUAD airframe designed around one of my favourite ESCs - the HobbyWing 10 Amp aka Turnigy - and runs low power in a hover - about 5amps per ESC. These ESCs really deliver the goods even though they appear small - and fit perfectly in the small airframe, and punch well above their weight.

so a power board is going to be as big as the airframe itself. The SCARAB kits come with all the gold plated connectors (and instructions) to make a wiring loom - you just need 20AWG wire - and this allows the booms to be removeable for transport in a car on long trips - and also allows spares to be carried and used if on a field trip - just being swapped out with a 1/16th HEX tool. Quinton
AlouetteIII is offline Find More Posts by AlouetteIII
Site Sponsor