HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:01 PM
Scarab Pro Pilot
United States, CA, Capitola
Joined Jan 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edkirk View Post
Just finished my Scarab EDF Avatar, flies great. Plan to have it at the Multirotor Challenge next week.

http://www.multirotorchallenge.com/

I hope to see some of the west coast guys there.
That thing must eat batteries alive... 3 edfs and such...
piccolo831 is online now Find More Posts by piccolo831
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:08 PM
Scarab Pro Pilot
Joined Jan 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Looks like a Hunter-killer from SkyNet - hope it's not self-aware yet...
Cool, that you're representing the Scarabs at the fun-fly. We're having a MutliRotor fun fly event soon in the Bay Area - I'll be there with my fleet.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....5th-Fremont-CA
Jason

Will I be able to sign up for that fun fly too?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:22 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo831 View Post
Jason

Will I be able to sign up for that fun fly too?
Sure - do it fast because it sounds like space is limited.
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:25 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
This is off-topic but the new YouTube channel design is horrible! For those who haven't switched don't do it - there's no return!

https://www.youtube.com/user/bigguyyyy365
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately, I use Spektrum radios and receivers. Their fail safe keeps the last-know position of the channels and moves the throttle to whatever position you had when the RX was bound to the TX (I usually set 35-40% throttle for a gentle decent). You can't rely on a Spektrum system to go from MWC manual mode to GPS home when the RC link fails.

Perhaps Futaba's and other brands have better fail-safes.

EDIT: Most Spektrum receivers have only the Throttle fail-safe, unless you pay $$$ for their high-end receivers 8ch and up.
I don't have GPS, but GPS makes a lot of sense for the RTH mode.

My Futaba T8J allows you to set each channel to NOR (normal), which holds the the servo in the last commanded position.

OR

You can set each channel to 1-100% for fail safe.

I tested out the fail safe with the YSiix bound down and there is at least a 1 second delay, that means that if you are rolling and if fail safe comes on when you go behind a structure, then by the time you regain control you may be upside down, right?

That is why I though it may be beneficial to set the fail safe of AUX1 to turn on the LEVEL Flight mode and maybe AUX2 to turn on BARO, so you don't loose any altitude. That may give you time to get a signal.
Killroy1999 is offline Find More Posts by Killroy1999
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:31 AM
I dont work here
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,487 Posts
My failsafe selects RTH, which also selects Angle, Baro and Mag

This is with throttle at mid stick also

Roll, Pitch and Yaw go to mid stick
Deet_aus is offline Find More Posts by Deet_aus
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:31 AM
Do it once, do it right
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately, I use Spektrum radios and receivers. Their fail safe keeps the last-know position of the channels and moves the throttle to whatever position you had when the RX was bound to the TX (I usually set 35-40% throttle for a gentle decent). You can't rely on a Spektrum system to go from MWC manual mode to GPS home when the RC link fails.

Perhaps Futaba's and other brands have better fail-safes.

EDIT: Most Spektrum receivers have only the Throttle fail-safe, unless you pay $$$ for their high-end receivers 8ch and up.
I use Spektrum and I can bind it so if fail-safe kicks in it will put all channels at bind position.
Set channels and switches, put bind plug in, power receiver, remove bind plug, holding bind button power on transmitter.
mrrf900 is offline Find More Posts by mrrf900
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:30 AM
Australia, NT, Darwin
Joined Oct 2012
279 Posts
Strange thing happened today. I flew one battery, landed and fitted another one (new only 2 recharges). Took off and hovered while making small trim adjustments when the carbon armour just lost all power and fell out of the sky. Lucky I was only a metre off thick grass so a nice soft crash.

The battery was fully charged and I fitted another Lipo but apart from the start up tune there was no three beeps pause and a further beep signifying a 3 cell battery was connected. The Andromeda wasn't lighting up and stick inputs on the Tx did nothing.

Diagnostics so far has power to the board with red and green lights lit as well as the GPS. A rhythmic beep every 4 or so seconds has the motors twitching in sync so power going there (one wasn't twitching at first so I swapped that ESC but apart from now twitching with the others that didn't help).

I've checked all wires and they appear to be intact and I tested each of the 5 way JST power connectors with a multimeter and they're all relaying 12v.

My guess it's a ESC issue but apart from replacing the most suspect one I don't know what else to do. Anyone got any ideas.
Groboz is offline Find More Posts by Groboz
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:16 AM
the best laid plans.......
somewhere east of the pond
Joined Jun 2007
537 Posts
slow intermittent beeps normally point to lost rx signal, as in no reciever connected.

sure the soft crash did not dissconnec your rc somehow?

rio
thequieteuropean is offline Find More Posts by thequieteuropean
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:11 AM
Shipped to work. Wife safe.
Canada, eh?
Joined Jan 2007
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deet_aus View Post
My failsafe selects RTH, which also selects Angle, Baro and Mag

This is with throttle at mid stick also

Roll, Pitch and Yaw go to mid stick
Can you share the magic? Thanks.

Also, all work and no play, so I brought it to work today.
Thai is offline Find More Posts by Thai
Last edited by Thai; Mar 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrf900 View Post
I use Spektrum and I can bind it so if fail-safe kicks in it will put all channels at bind position.
Set channels and switches, put bind plug in, power receiver, remove bind plug, holding bind button power on transmitter.
Which RX are you using? My AR 6ch and 7ch RXs don't do this - plug your copter into the computer/GUI and then turn off the transmitter you will see what the different channels do when signal is lost.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:21 AM
Canada, eh?
Joined Jan 2007
794 Posts
Got my motors balanced pretty good now. No more jello or vibrations with the GoPro 3 Black.

Shot this at my work today. Outside and in the warehouse, there was too many customers in the store to do there, but I'll probably add on to this once I get a chance.

Let me know what you think!

Royal Distributing - MultiWiiCopter SCARAB Vampire HexiiCopter (4 min 20 sec)
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:08 AM
Scarab Pro Pilot
Joined Jan 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
Got my motors balanced pretty good now. No more jello or vibrations with the GoPro 3 Black.

Shot this at my work today. Outside and in the warehouse, there was too many customers in the store to do there, but I'll probably add on to this once I get a chance.

Let me know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evy_grNVKDk&hd=1
The GoPro really does help with the jello effect removal. Did you use the YouTube stabilizer option? The indoors one looks weird to me. Outdoor looks great.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:18 AM
Canada, eh?
Joined Jan 2007
794 Posts
Yeah the indoors ones was the result of YouTube's stabilization. I need more practice indoors. Gets pretty nerve racking with narrow isles so I'm a little shaky with corrections. It'll get better. Hopefully good enough this summer to get on Multiwiicopter's video page.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:21 AM
Scarab Pro Pilot
Joined Jan 2011
456 Posts
Just wait til you start FPV'ing... a whole new lvl of exciting =)