HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:10 PM
near the Beach
Joined Sep 2007
657 Posts
@robeast - post your GUI and a video of the quad flying (hand maiden always comes before a flight as per user instructions). Make sure your in acro mode - Futaba and JR work differently - Your problem is most likely assumption lock - so your convinced and locked onto one possible problem when its actually something else you set. Could be anything. For trouble shooting keep an open mind. Clear eeprom - reload code - reset GUI to default - set ACRO. if you want to return your 8J under warranty thats no problem. We will send it to Futaba AU and they will check it out fully for faults.
AlouetteIII is offline Find More Posts by AlouetteIII
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:34 PM
I dont work here
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeast View Post
I have an unrelated question. When trying to take off using my stealth in ACCRO mode with my old DX6i sometimes on take off the craft would want to tip forwards or maybe have a slight yaw. I would then unplug the battery turn off the transmitter and do a complete restart. The tipping or yaw , roll etc would vanish or not be so great.

My Mag and ACC although not used in ACCRO were perfectly calibrated and the mid points / end points were spot on. My understanding is I should then of course with some throttle get a perfect take off. I just want to know why a craft would even attempt to pitch on take off or roll if the midpoints are set correctly, Can anyone help explain some details to me in this area I just want to nail my understanding of what is exactly happening and why I should get random pitch / roll / yaw.

Kind regards

Rob
If the airframe istt level on power up then the gyro will be set incorrectly, or if it gets moved during initialisation

Use the sticks to do the gyro and acc calibrations before you take off and you wont get that problem
Deet_aus is offline Find More Posts by Deet_aus
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:40 PM
I dont work here
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foonji View Post
Quick question, I need to play with the code on my second paris board (stand alone gimbal) to get the camera stabiliser working correctly - I think i must be blind - but how can i open/download the code from the board via Arduino app?

Yes, it is connected via USB and I can bring it up in GUI.
you cant pull the code from the board, you must download a sketch file and modify it, then upload that

have a look at the following videos they will help

Paris Arduino pt1 (14 min 54 sec)

Paris Arduino pt2 GPS (12 min 10 sec)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:43 PM
I dont work here
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeast View Post
Hi Quinton gave me these values

stick trims are Zero
ch 1-8 sub trim : -7 / +8 / 0 / -7 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0
ch 1-8 end point : 102/102 ; 102/102 ; 102/102 ; 104/104 ; 78/78 ; 78/78 ; 100/100 ; 100/100

Tried them out and just had a complete lack of control on take off and 2 crashes !. Crazy behavior at lift off from Yaw and pitch. ie as the craft takes off it yaws to the left and then pitches back. If I try again a completely different action happens. I just cannot see what I can do to get this kit working !

rob
then take it one step at a time

if it pitches back at you , adjust the sub trim until that stops

THEN

use subtrim to fix the yaw

as long as you have enough stick throw to arm/disarm and do the stick calibrations don't worry too much about endpoints for now
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:50 PM
Australia, NT, Darwin
Joined Sep 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deet_aus View Post
you cant pull the code from the board, you must download a sketch file and modify it, then upload that

have a look at the following videos they will help
Thanks Deet - I'll give it a go
foonji is offline Find More Posts by foonji
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:59 PM
Australia, QLD, Hope Island
Joined Jan 2013
106 Posts
Another Avatar question...

If I set the endpoints on the Rudder so my props dont hit the servo. I cant Disarm the Avatar.

I am using a Futaba T8FGSuper with the R6208SB HV S-Bus Receiver that came with it..

Any Suggestions ???
pacmanAUS is offline Find More Posts by pacmanAUS
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:11 PM
Australia, NT, Darwin
Joined Sep 2012
77 Posts
Bingo - Gimbal all loaded up
foonji is offline Find More Posts by foonji
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:37 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Is Quinton ok?

I emailed him some questions 4 days ago and also placed an order but havent heard a single word?

Can someone pls explain the difference between the NAZA, which I use now, and the multiwii Paris?
The Paris looks interesting as it seems that it has more possibilitis to change PID, code etc?
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:58 PM
United States, TX, Willis
Joined May 2006
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanAUS View Post

If I set the endpoints on the Rudder so my props dont hit the servo. I cant Disarm the Avatar.

I am using a Futaba T8FGSuper with the R6208SB HV S-Bus Receiver that came with it..

Any Suggestions ???
You need to set mid points and end points in Tx so in multiwii GUI they are 1500 using subtrim, and 1905, 1095. Now leave tx alone.

In config.h, section 1, TRi
Decrease TRI_YAW_CONSTRAINT_MIN to lower than 1100, like 1080, so it does not hit
Decrease same **MAX to lower than 1900
Mystic3D is offline Find More Posts by Mystic3D
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:19 PM
Australia, QLD, Hope Island
Joined Jan 2013
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic3D View Post
You need to set mid points and end points in Tx so in multiwii GUI they are 1500 using subtrim, and 1905, 1095. Now leave tx alone.

In config.h, section 1, TRi
Decrease TRI_YAW_CONSTRAINT_MIN to lower than 1100, like 1080, so it does not hit
Decrease same **MAX to lower than 1900
Thanks for that I will make those changes...
pacmanAUS is offline Find More Posts by pacmanAUS
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:31 PM
I dont work here
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanAUS View Post

Any Suggestions ???
two options but they involve reloading code

1. in the code you can set the endpoints for the yaw servo
2. in the code you can select to arm/disarm with roll instead of yaw

i went the first option because it means that the controller wont try and tilt the yaw too far in flight

you need to find the following bit of code in the config.h tab

/******************************** TRI *********************************/
#define YAW_DIRECTION 1
//#define YAW_DIRECTION -1 // if you want to reverse the yaw correction direction
/* you can change the tricopter servo travel here */
#define TRI_YAW_CONSTRAINT_MIN 1100
#define TRI_YAW_CONSTRAINT_MAX 1900
#define TRI_YAW_MIDDLE 1500 // (*) tail servo center pos. - use this for initial trim; later trim midpoint via LCD

you then change the MIN and MAX numbers to points were the blades dont strike anymore

I found the two numbers by looking at the GUI and watching the YAW radio channel numbers as I played with the rudder stick on the bench
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:34 PM
I dont work here
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
Is Quinton ok?

I emailed him some questions 4 days ago and also placed an order but havent heard a single word?

Can someone pls explain the difference between the NAZA, which I use now, and the multiwii Paris?
The Paris looks interesting as it seems that it has more possibilitis to change PID, code etc?
Its an apple verses PC thing (Naza/Paris)

Quinton has been seriously busy the last week doing all the legal documents so he can ship lipos, he told me things should be back to normal Monday
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:46 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deet_aus View Post
Its an apple verses PC thing (Naza/Paris)

Quinton has been seriously busy the last week doing all the legal documents so he can ship lipos, he told me things should be back to normal Monday

No problem,
thanks for answer Deet_aus.

Well, I have a PC and my son has a Mac....
I am seriously interested in the Paris - besides the info at the website, could you direct me to info about the differences, pros and cons?
I know I am not happy with the gimbal output of the Naza and the options for settings with Paris looks appealing.
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:27 AM
I dont work here
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
No problem,
thanks for answer Deet_aus.

Well, I have a PC and my son has a Mac....
I am seriously interested in the Paris - besides the info at the website, could you direct me to info about the differences, pros and cons?
I know I am not happy with the gimbal output of the Naza and the options for settings with Paris looks appealing.
I dont want to start a war...

I think that the Naza is easy to set up, has a much simpler GUI. I think the Naza is very stable in flight. I think its boring to fly, thats just me

Paris uses Multiwii software which is open source and constantly under development by guys who are enthusiastic about flying

Because its open source, there isnt that professional polish to the software. You do need to know a little about using a computer to be able to make changes in the code (have a watch of the videos I linked to earlier today(and the others on my channel Deet96))

Paris can be set up to be very stable OR it can be set up to flip and roll like nothing you can ever imagine, then flick a switch and its tame again.

Paris certainly lets you adjust more BUT that can get some into trouble
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:41 AM
Scarab Pro Pilot
United States, CA, Capitola
Joined Jan 2011
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foonji View Post
Quick question, I need to play with the code on my second paris board (stand alone gimbal) to get the camera stabiliser working correctly - I think i must be blind - but how can i open/download the code from the board via Arduino app?

Yes, it is connected via USB and I can bring it up in GUI.
Ignore this... Deet already answered it :-)

You can't access the code uploaded on the board. There is no way to decompile once its been uploaded.

You will have to get the source code from the sketch file on the multiwiicopter site.

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/downloads/

Use the sketch files here as the basis for what you need configure in the 2.1 code.

http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/downloads/list
piccolo831 is online now Find More Posts by piccolo831