I can't see how vibes would effect it
Deet_aus is online now Find More Posts by Deet_aus
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:51 PM
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jul 2011
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
What props are you using? 1.2kg is fine / normal with all the FPV gear. It should straight up like a rocket on 4s with the 9x5x3 GWS props. If you're not using those then maybe that's the problem... :-)
That was with 8x4 props, I am waiting for some 3 bladed 9x5 props to come.

I ran 2 packs through her yesterday just hovering on 3/4 and far out she is smooth!
Forcas is offline Find More Posts by Forcas
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:55 PM
cool, how high does it go?
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2012
364 Posts
Choosing a Battery

Just upgraded my Steal Metal Armour to a FPV Reconn and maidened it today. Aside from almost getting air sick, it was a lot of fun.

With all the extra weight my flight times dropped pretty significantly. I am wondering if I should just buy some more Nano 4S1800's or try something else. On the webiste, Quinton suggests several options: 4S1600, 4S2200 or even the 3S route. Does it basically come down to trading performance for flight time given the weight differences? Not sure how to evaluate this...

pete
Mauronic is offline Find More Posts by Mauronic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:17 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauronic View Post
Just upgraded my Steal Metal Armour to a FPV Reconn and maidened it today. Aside from almost getting air sick, it was a lot of fun.

With all the extra weight my flight times dropped pretty significantly. I am wondering if I should just buy some more Nano 4S1800's or try something else. On the webiste, Quinton suggests several options: 4S1600, 4S2200 or even the 3S route. Does it basically come down to trading performance for flight time given the weight differences? Not sure how to evaluate this...

pete
What flight times are you getting right now? With all that gear on it 10 minutes is about average with the 775kv motors. I think you have the 1175kv motors, so 3s 2200 or a 4s 1800 will work and still balance the camera on the front. The 4s pushes the 1175kv motors and 18amp ESCs a little hard, but they do put out a -load of thrust that way. Maybe try 1 of each to see what you like and then buy more once you found something you like?
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:34 AM
Joined Jun 2012
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
What flight times are you getting right now? With all that gear on it 10 minutes is about average with the 775kv motors. I think you have the 1175kv motors, so 3s 2200 or a 4s 1800 will work and still balance the camera on the front. The 4s pushes the 1175kv motors and 18amp ESCs a little hard, but they do put out a -load of thrust that way. Maybe try 1 of each to see what you like and then buy more once you found something you like?
I wasn't paying close attention to my times on my first time out... Not that I have anything to compare it to but the acceleration seems pretty awesome right now. So why would I choose a 3s 2200 over a 4s1800?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:18 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deet_aus View Post
Firmly enough

Its on double sided tape (3M) with a balsa wood spacer on top of the Andromeda

I can't see how vibes would effect it
i was thinking any vibes would disturb the MAG readings on the new pod as opossed to the one on the FC board being hard mounted?
could it be interference from the gear underneath it?
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:30 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
Quote:

pete
when i loaded up my carbon armour with the gopro etc the 3s batts made it fly really soft and it lacked that bit of punch to get you out of a sticky situation, although it did make for a very smooooooth flight with the lower power.

with 4s batts those 1175s are mental, so much power, i'm missing that now i've swapped out to the 775 motors and 9050s, its taken a while to get used to not having that instant juice on tap to pull you out of a tight spot.

i'd have said go for more 1800 nano 4s' ,the extra weight from the 2200's seem to almost cancel out the capacity benefit .

flight times on the 1175s and the 775s have not been hugely different with all the gopro kit on for me.
i'm getting around 7-8 minutes with 1800 4s nano with voltage alarm at 14v fully loaded with fpv/gopro etc, maybe i'm overweight?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:15 AM
I dont work here
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob69 View Post
i was thinking any vibes would disturb the MAG readings on the new pod as opossed to the one on the FC board being hard mounted?
could it be interference from the gear underneath it?
heading is holding perfectly, so i doubt very much its anything to do with the mag

Also a mag sensor would not be vibe sensitive. EMI yes, but not vibes
Deet_aus is online now Find More Posts by Deet_aus
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Quote:

pete
Pete... Fantastic job... I'm in the process of building my first Carbon Armour, with the idea of doing the same, that is "evolving" it to a FPV Recon in the coming months.

I can see the camera feed coming off the Go Pro, but tell me, what do you have running off the "rubber ducky" antenna on the battery pack, telemetry?

Thanks, Paul
10x200 is offline Find More Posts by 10x200
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Jun 2012
364 Posts
Quote:
when i loaded up my carbon armour with the gopro etc the 3s batts made it fly really soft and it lacked that bit of punch to get you out of a sticky situation, although it did make for a very smooooooth flight with the lower power.

with 4s batts those 1175s are mental, so much power, i'm missing that now i've swapped out to the 775 motors and 9050s, its taken a while to get used to not having that instant juice on tap to pull you out of a tight spot.

i'd have said go for more 1800 nano 4s' ,the extra weight from the 2200's seem to almost cancel out the capacity benefit .

flight times on the 1175s and the 775s have not been hugely different with all the gopro kit on for me.
i'm getting around 7-8 minutes with 1800 4s nano with voltage alarm at 14v fully loaded with fpv/gopro etc, maybe i'm overweight?
I guess I will stick with the 4S 1800's. I am used to the awesome acceleration. Plus it will be easy to come home and just plug all the batteries into the charger and be done with it.

If I were to guess, I'd say that I was getting 8 mins like you but I will time it for kicks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Jun 2012
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x200 View Post
Pete... Fantastic job... I'm in the process of building my first Carbon Armour, with the idea of doing the same, that is "evolving" it to a FPV Recon in the coming months.

I can see the camera feed coming off the Go Pro, but tell me, what do you have running off the "rubber ducky" antenna on the battery pack, telemetry?

Thanks, Paul
Sweet, building is half the fun. If you are like me you will upgrade to FPV sooner rather than later.

Yeah, the rubber ducky is for the quantum telemetry. At some point I will get an OSD but at the rate I am spending money on this hobby I should take it easy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:21 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauronic
but at the rate I am spending money on this hobby I should take it easy.
you're not alone with this
my wife is mostly in the dark so far
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
you're not alone with this
my wife is mostly in the dark so far
LOL...
+1 on THAT....
10x200 is offline Find More Posts by 10x200
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:58 PM
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jul 2011
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x200 View Post
LOL...
+1 on THAT....
+2!

Meant to be saving for a house deposit!

Ran another 2 packs through her today, flying really smoothly... I had the GoPro filming and getting a fair bit of Jello in the video, Have yet to determine where its coming from though, Balanced all motors and props twice (Just to make sure) I have new 3 bladed props coming and a magnetic balancer so I can be 100%!
Forcas is offline Find More Posts by Forcas