HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2011, 07:34 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydh View Post
Whats so different about this new version of the scarab? Apart from the larger decks it looks pretty much identical to the previous one??
I believe the larger center section allows for multiple frame configurations like a Y-6, tri, quad and more. I like the larger frame because it would easily hold my FPV and other gear. My current Scarab with the smaller center sections has about 3-4 levels to hold everything, with this larger center section I could hold almost everything on one layer - nice!
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2011, 07:56 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,880 Posts
Thats a clever idea - get sick of the quad, turn it into a tri, then a y6..... so many options I think my head would explode! Its clear theres been a lot of thought put into the MultiWiiCopter products. I like.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Aug 04, 2011, 09:04 PM
can't wait to retire..
Australia, ACT, Symonston
Joined Feb 2006
599 Posts
The latest version multiWiicopters are also running the new "insect feet" like landing gear which gives a lot more clearance, enough to mount an SLR style camera under the bottom deck for example. Also has some give to absorb a firm landing.

Y6 gear arrived today so will get stuck in on the wend. Great looking kit that clearly has had much R&D put into it. Will start a build thread soon. Product updates will be listed on the multiWiicopter site shortly.

Cheers
hobidude is offline Find More Posts by hobidude
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:08 PM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Here's a short video I threw together using some "B Roll" footage from the past few months.

Cheers,
Jason

A Scarab Quadcopter's Day in the Park (1 min 59 sec)
Old Aug 05, 2011, 06:15 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,880 Posts
Enjoyed that one crazyj. The air to air shots of the other copters were cool, shoot some more !!!
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Aug 05, 2011, 07:40 PM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
630 Posts
Excellent vid Crazyj, you got to keep em coming, are you using the standard lens on the gopro, or ragecams or sunex?

Drmgcm
drmgcm is offline Find More Posts by drmgcm
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:04 PM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydh View Post
Enjoyed that one crazyj. The air to air shots of the other copters were cool, shoot some more !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmgcm View Post
Excellent vid Crazyj, you got to keep em coming, are you using the standard lens on the gopro, or ragecams or sunex?

Drmgcm

Thanks fellas, glad you like the video! Most of the clips (maybe all) were shot with the GoPro and the Sunex lens. I've switched back to the original GoPro lens. The stock lens is just a little bit sharper and the wide angle sometimes looks neat (and is better for FPV flying). I'll keep the vids coming for sure!

Cheers,
Jason
Last edited by crazyj; Aug 05, 2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:16 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Nov 2005
1,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Here's a short video I threw together using some "B Roll" footage from the past few months.

Cheers,
Jason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5RUabHrsfc

Very Nice Jason keep them coming!
Chad2323 is online now Find More Posts by Chad2323
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:19 PM
Joined Nov 2005
630 Posts
Crazyj,

Thanks for the update, i've got my Scarab all built up as you can see in my avatar pic, i'm actually using the Ardupilot Mega board as the Paris board wasn't available at the time i bought the Scarab. So i'm just in the flight testing mode and tweeking the PID's, before i put my Gopro HD on and start taking video.

Loving this project, been doing Rc helis for the past 20 years, but the multicopter sure is something very different.

All the best

Drmgcm
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:32 PM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Crazyj,

Thanks for the update, i've got my Scarab all built up as you can see in my avatar pic, i'm actually using the Ardupilot Mega board as the Paris board wasn't available at the time i bought the Scarab. So i'm just in the flight testing mode and tweeking the PID's, before i put my Gopro HD on and start taking video.

Loving this project, been doing Rc helis for the past 20 years, but the multicopter sure is something very different.

All the best

Drmgcm

Sweet! I didn't realize that was a Scarab in your profile pic, do you have any higher res photos that you would like to share? It's nice to see how other people build the same kit and to learn from other people's experiences and knowledge.

Regards,
Jason
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:42 PM
Joined Nov 2005
630 Posts
Hi Jason,

Yes this is the top view at the moment, will take more shots over the weekend.

Drmgcm
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:44 PM
Joined Nov 2005
630 Posts
On mine i use the red arms for the front, i'll be putting red led's on those red arms soon as the testing is done.
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:47 PM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
On mine i use the red arms for the front, i'll be putting red led's on those red arms soon as the testing is done.

Haha, I was just going to ask which way is the front on yours... Don't ever let me fly your Scarab, because I may try to fly it backwards (my red booms are on the back)!

Seriously, you have a clean looking Scarab 12. What did you use for the feet?
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:56 PM
Joined Nov 2005
630 Posts
This was my first test flight the other day,

Scarab Quad Multicopter, First Flight Test With Ardupilot Mega Board (0 min 57 sec)
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:59 PM
Joined Nov 2005
630 Posts
Well i looked around on the island for Nerf balls, but i could not find them, so i found the next best thing, can't remember the name but they are a firm kind of foam, and extremely light. Meant to be used for some kind of child's toy game.