HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:10 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,446 Posts
Another cool one. Impressed at speed of yaw and keeping in the frame... well done.

Like the blue skies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
One more video before Monday!
Scarab FPV Reconn holding it's own against a AJ Slick 51" and Turbo Jets in formation. :-)

http://youtu.be/kMYWHZ6xvVE
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
Your not kidding - this weather is seriously p''ing me off. It's now been over 3 months...
All filming plans except one cancelled....

On saturday I was hiding underneath a lorry trailer and rushing out to film in between showers...

But at last maybe there is hope - this was published by BBC today...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18868494

Agree, and I heard about that Jet stream about 2 weeks ago, promising better weather THIS week - I hope for the best but I just dont trust meteorologists......
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:57 PM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Mar 2012
432 Posts
New Triikopta is alive!!

Hi dudes I have made the maiden flight for my Triikopta. What a rush First battery I was a little nervous but everything went fine on the 3 remaining batteries.

I have some doubts I hope Scarab experts can guide me here....

I managed to have a nice Acro steady hover, with just a little throttle to hold altitude. Autolevel is somehow more tricky and sometimes it holds with very little drift and sometimes it tends to go one way or another, but I know is not the strong point in this FC. I ACC trimmed it and is so-so, I know it will never be perfect but is usable at least. On the other hand, I am experiencing a little backwards movement when I apply yaw and I spin more than 90 degrees. My back tail falls and I experience some roll to the side I am making the turn. How should I proceed in this case to nullify that backward-roll? In the sticks I am doing a little forward cyclic and some roll to the same side I am spinning to compensate. I was wondering if I can make a mix on the TX or should I try to get the CG a little forward?... Btw I am not pretty sure where to hold the tricopter to achieve a good CG, I am using the center "spikes" on the lower deck but I am not really sure if this is correct as there is no place in the manual that shows how to do this properly. Hope you can shed a light what to check or move first.

So mainly the questions are...

Where should I check to compensate the back tail fall when yawing?

Where is the correct spot for COG and should I lean the tri a little forward? backward?...

Also, what servo do you recommend to replace in case of failure the 380 max?...

The tail servo likes to tic even when is disarmed. I noticed that movement on the area makes the servo tics, but even without any movement it tics a little, also in fast yaw movements the servo gets out of center and a second or two afterwards you can see it trying to find the center with little tics. Is this normal?

I plugged the led-strips on to the andromeda out-points provided. I just feel the andromeda hotter to the touch, is it ok? any bad experience with led strips?... the positive wire I am using to power Andromeda is real thin, like .5mm in case something fails. I just don't like that before led-strips when trikopter was disarmed the andromeda was totally off, now the only indication of an armed or disarmed FC is one led on the FC back... I would rather have all andromeda leds off when the copter is disarmed like before. I don't know if this can be fixed.

Here is my first pictures of it.... once I get more confident I will put the gopro2 to make my first videos...

Thanks a lot
cheers!!
jocheluich is online now Find More Posts by jocheluich
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:27 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
CG: You want it centered or even a little forward measured from the top plate's "spikes"
The tail falling while YAWing might be a sign of aft CG.

Servo: I've only used the 380max servos - not sure if you can find a different one the same shape? Look for a strong servo with good centering and low gear-slop

Servo tic: Not sure about this, whit the copter armed and looking at the GUI - do you see the servo signal moving at all?

Servo tics in flight: sounds like you need to lower the YAW P in the PID settings using the GUI - try a value of 6 for starters

Lights: You should be able to hook the Andromeda up to the Paris board so that it lights up when the board is armed and off when it's disarmed - check the instructions for the Paris/Andromeda

Regards,
Jason
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Jul 20, 2012, 01:19 AM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Mar 2012
432 Posts
Hi Jason, just what I was thinking about the CG, I will try to set it a little forward to prevent this tail falling in yaw movements.

Servo tic: Not sure about this, whit the copter armed and looking at the GUI - do you see the servo signal moving at all?

I haven't look at the GUI again now that I have everything built but I will check that. I begin thinking that it might be something to do with poor quality gimbals on the Futaba 7C, cause I had the uSec numbers creeping some when I set the midpoints earlier, but I was told it was a normal behaviour.

Lights: You should be able to hook the Andromeda up to the Paris board so that it lights up when the board is armed and off when it's disarmed - check the instructions for the Paris/Andromeda

The andromeda was working as expected, but once I plugged the led strips it stopped behaving like before. Now as soon as I plug the battery it lights up everything, andromeda and led strips, no matter if its armed or disarmed. In fact I reduced the led strips, I realized it was draining the battery a lot faster than just the andromeda and I left only 6 leds per boom. I was getting 8 min with andromeda on and 3.75 left on batt cells. So it was ok. Hope led strips wont affect by much this time now. I really liked the way andromeda worked before. If nothing can be done about that I will try to power the led strips from an available JST on the harness so the Andromeda works as before.

BTW the BARO hold works more solid than Autolevel, I was gladly impressed with that, although Baro readings are affected by wind, but I put a black square of "foam" I trimmed from a dumbbell with a little glue I scavenge from a band aid. I guess it helped the Baro crazy readings I was getting in the GUI, now with the foam they swell but on a shorter wave than before.

Thanks a lot
Last edited by jocheluich; Jul 20, 2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:50 AM
I have a video for that
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocheluich View Post

The andromeda was working as expected, but once I plugged the led strips it stopped behaving like before. Now as soon as I plug the battery it lights up everything, andromeda and led strips, no matter if its armed or disarmed.
t
you have probably damaged the FET on the paris board that switches the LED array by running too may LEDs through it.

The board would need to be repaired in this case
Deet_aus is offline Find More Posts by Deet_aus
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:44 AM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Mar 2012
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deet_aus View Post
you have probably damaged the FET on the paris board that switches the LED array by running too may LEDs through it.

The board would need to be repaired in this case
Do you know which might be that FET to check it out?... this turnigy led light were supposed to drain 400ma per meter and I used like 50cm .. hope is not that hard to fix it...

BTW.. I am reading about removing FETs and I think is a little tricky, I have no under 200*C iron, and I only have 60/40 solder. Any clue about the FET specs?... I will try to see if they sell it locally and maybe they can change it for me.

I thought I have read on the FC less than 850ma for leds, so my math was 480ma from the andromeda and 400/meter on the turnigy strips, I used like half of the led strips, I was expecting total near 700ma, maybe this turnigy led strips are underrated

Thanks Deet !
Last edited by jocheluich; Jul 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:21 PM
I have a video for that
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,540 Posts
this is not a repair you should undertake yourself
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:41 AM
I have a video for that
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,540 Posts
A bit of fun with the Avatar

Winter Morning (3 min 2 sec)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
FPV through your GoPro.... or separate cam

Just a quick question for those of you posting such GREAT videos. Do you fly FPV through your GoPro or are you using a separate cam?
10x200 is offline Find More Posts by 10x200
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:23 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deet_aus View Post
Video looks nice and smooth - what camera? Now, you need to tear through the trees like Tretch5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x200 View Post
Just a quick question for those of you posting such GREAT videos. Do you fly FPV through your GoPro or are you using a separate cam?
I fly through the GoPro on all my copters that carry the GoPro. The Y-Siix and little stealth v.1 have the little CCD CarbonBird FPV cameras.
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:39 AM
I have a video for that
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Video looks nice and smooth - what camera? Now, you need to tear through the trees like Tretch5000
Its a Flycamone 720HD mounted on an Avatar

And thanks J, thats a great compliment coming from you

The speed will develop
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:55 AM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
I fly through the GoPro on all my copters that carry the GoPro. The Y-Siix and little stealth v.1 have the little CCD CarbonBird FPV cameras.
Thanks J, I'm about to order my Carbon Armour Stealth and was debating the expense of the separate little Sony Cam. I can appreciate it gives you "stable" view when flying a gimbled GoPro, and would be great on a tri or Y but thought that if I'm going to do some good filming, will want to fly through the GoPro to get the shot I want.

If I just add a 5.8 transmitter to the quad, and use goggles with 5.8 receiver built in, I can save a bit of money on my first MultiWii. I'll most likely add a ground station (loved your examples and those of others, here), but my flying will be pretty straightforward and simple while I build experience and hours.
10x200 is offline Find More Posts by 10x200
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2012
36 Posts
Originally posted in the Paris forum by mistake:

It's been a while, but I'm finally ready to sit down and continue troubleshooting the TriiKopter issues I've been having. Quinton seems to think I may have a signal issue, since my problems (motors spinning down and loss of control) do not occur on the bench.

Until now, I've had my receiver in between the two body plates with the antenna hanging through the middle of the body next to the battery. Has anybody experienced any problems with this type of configuration? Could the carbon fiber be interfering with the signal, even though the antenna is hanging below the craft? It's a single antenna receiver.

I'm going to mount a new receiver (still single antenna, but have a FrSky V8R7SP on order) to the underside of the TriiKopter, so I guess I'll find out soon enough, but thought I'd run it by you guys to see if you had any thoughts.

--Jason
mindnumbrobot is offline Find More Posts by mindnumbrobot
Old Jul 24, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Jul 2012
278 Posts
I know this is not the place but how do i start a new post? i mean a new thread not just reply to an open one already?
altereddezignz is offline Find More Posts by altereddezignz