SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:58 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
156 Posts
Hobidude I might have jumped in a bit to soon as I still don't have the whole package yet. So I have not been able to check everything out yet. But thanks for info.
Swampbuoy is offline Find More Posts by Swampbuoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:06 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
156 Posts
This is my first build of this type. So I am still learning.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:46 AM
Joined Jul 2011
15 Posts
My plan was to build a Carbon Scarab hover with a Hoverfly Pro board (expensive but the best board available). Along with a set of 5x 775kva motors (one spare), this should become a very nice project.

If all this happens, then I'll wait for the GPS module from Hoverfly: that would be the cream on the cake (and probably a disaster on my bank account).
Denus is offline Find More Posts by Denus
Old Jul 28, 2011, 04:40 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
156 Posts
This is a question about the scarab airframe and the boom length.
Where is the boom length measured?

As I am using a heavy motor my build calls for a 230mm long boom. If I need 35mm of boom at the attachment point do I add 230mm after this point?
Is the motor mount included in the Boom length measurement?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:34 AM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbuoy View Post
This is a question about the scarab airframe and the boom length.
Where is the boom length measured?

As I am using a heavy motor my build calls for a 230mm long boom. If I need 35mm of boom at the attachment point do I add 230mm after this point?
Is the motor mount included in the Boom length measurement?

That's a good question! When I say 230mm boom length, that means the booms are exactly 230mm long from end to end with out being installed in the frame, and not including the motor mount. I'm not sure how other people are measuring the booms, but now might be a good time to standardize our measurements.
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:16 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
156 Posts
I am going with a total boom length of 245mm. That means that the distance between the frame and the motor mount would be 210mm. The total measurement from outside of the left motor to the outside of the right motor would measure 600mm. (I like a round numbers) LoL.

If we are going to standardize our measurements then I would to take the measurement from inside of the motor to the outside of the airframe. Because this would be the effective length of the boom. (Just my 2 cents worth )
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:41 PM
can't wait to retire..
Australia, ACT, Symonston
Joined Feb 2006
599 Posts
When I built my first Scarab I just put it all together as it came. 345 boom length with heavy (80gr) motors. This was my first go at building a Quad and even with these specs it still flew very well straight out of the box. The first couple of test flights with long booms, heavy motors and a rather heavy Gopro setup was very stable (see post 31).

I note the instructions now give specific recommended lengths based on motor weight and I would stick to them as there has been a lot of testing done to come up with those figures. If your still unsure go with 260 (alloy) and 275 (carbon) to start with iraspectictive of motor weight and just reduce from there. Each person has a different flying style/purpose and its easy to reduce the length a litttle and compare.

My carbon booms are now 280 (the actual tube length) and this certainly made the Quad a bit more responsive and still gave good spacing between the 10" props and is still very stable in hover mode. The main point that effects flight stability is well balanced props and to a lesser degree, motor and prop adaptor balance and quality. I have had a couple of issues with the HK motors and this had an adverse effect on the video and flight quality.

I would not fly a Quad without first balancing the props and to do properly does take some time. Also do some basic ground testing such as spinning them up slowly and ensuring the tips are following the same path. Also get someone to help you with a full throttle test. There should be no viabration being generated down the boom at all.

Cheers

Deano
hobidude is offline Find More Posts by hobidude
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:58 PM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,394 Posts
here are some pics of the new Multiwiicopter tri...

Managed to get a couple of flights in today and she goes very nicely!
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:01 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Sorry I think I drooled on your tri... Such a sexy-simple looking machine...
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Jul 30, 2011, 04:45 AM
Joined Jul 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Sorry I think I drooled on your tri... Such a sexy-simple looking machine...
+ 1.
Denus is offline Find More Posts by Denus
Old Jul 30, 2011, 04:57 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
156 Posts
WoW! That looks so cool. I love those legs (wolf whistle).
I am using the same motors for my first build. How do you find the motors? are the motors and prop adaptor balance?
Sorry about the questions but I am a fist time quad builder.

Thanks for sharing the pics.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 05:50 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,394 Posts
here is another picture of it ready for some night flying...

Only been flying it for one day (about 5 packs) and already have an incredible amount of confidence in it.

Tomorrow its time for some FPV!

Cheers,

John
Last edited by AP_OZ; Aug 16, 2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 05:53 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
WoW! That looks so cool. I love those legs (wolf whistle).
I am using the same motors for my first build. How do you find the motors? are the motors and prop adaptor balance?
Sorry about the questions but I am a fist time quad builder.

Thanks for sharing the pics.
yep - the legs look sweet!

The motors are pretty good. In terms of size and weight they are about the same as the blue HK recommended on the multiwii website but these ones are much smoother and more efficient. In terms of balance, they are fine, just spent the time balancing the props and its all good.

I recommend running 4s on these motors - i ran 3s and it was good but 4s is a million times better.. Its smoother and far more reactive. I am using 1800mah rhino packs.

Feel free to ask questions mate - happy to help.

Cheers,

john
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:17 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
156 Posts
Quote:
Feel free to ask questions mate - happy to help.
Thanks John

I will need some help with the wiring. Like the ESC to the paris board. And wiring up the Led's for the night flying.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:27 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Thanks John

I will need some help with the wiring. Like the ESC to the paris board. And wiring up the Led's for the night flying.
what exactly do you need to know?

The lights run off the main flight pack - i just run an extra set of wires from the XT60 battery plug. With the PARIS V4 you can run the negative to the board and the lights will sync with board functions like trim and arm/disarm.

the esc's are quite easy to wire up - all you do is run the pos/neg cables for all esc's into a single wire (twitch them together) and put them straight into a plug. With the 20AWG wire, they will fit perfectly into a XT60 plug. Then you just run the 3x engines wires to each engine (check engine directions at this point) and the servo wire to the corresponding plug on the PARIS board. Just make sure you do calibrate the ESC's prior to wiring everything all up. I would also recommend putting the timing to high - the red carbon bird engines will run on any timing but I personally find the high timing is the best.

Cheers,

john
Last edited by AP_OZ; Jul 30, 2011 at 06:49 AM.