HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:15 AM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post

Some of you may know that I've had a Scarab Y-Siix for some time but haven't posted any videos created from it! Anyways, here's the first of hopefully many more videos to come using the awesome AP platform Scarab Y-Siix!

This is the bi-annual float fly held in Los Banos CA and we had a blast yesterday (April 21, 2012). However, I'm the odd man-out as I was flying more Scarabs than float airplanes.

More videos to come!
Another fine video Jason!
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:06 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post
I'm glad I figured it out too. I ended up removing the bad DC input jack and wiring in a JST connector straight to the circuit board. It's actually a more reliable connection than the standard connector now. I got my ground station finished today and set it up in the back yard and did a stroll around holding the transmitter and GoPro in my hand to test the range. I gets out pretty well, but doesn't penetrate any obstructions, which I already knew going into it. But the video is nice and clear.

My setup is the same as yours Jason, with the exception that I added a 3-digit blue LED voltmeter module that I picked up on Ebay for $6 to monitor the battery voltage.

Doug
Hey that's a sharp looking GS! The volt meter is a great idea - I will be copying you on that one...
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Okay! Here is a video shot using the FPV Reconn. It was a single 10 min flight of goofing around near the water's edge. Flying low to the ground smoothly at speed is challenging, fun, and interesting to look at on the screen...
Scarab FPV Reconn - FPV'ing Around - San Luis Reservoir, Los Banos (2 min 8 sec)

Yet another FPV video shot using the Scarab Triikopter. Again, I was only FPV'ing around the lake side and happened to get some gorgeous shots!
Scarab Triikopter and FPV Reconn - Apr 2012 Float Fly (2 min 6 sec)
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:01 AM
Joined Mar 2012
61 Posts
Center of gravity

Has anyone on the forum had to turn the camera mount or the Gimbal backwards to keep a Y6 in balance?

Or to ask the question from a different direction, as anyone flown a Y6 nose heavy?
jesusita1918 is offline Find More Posts by jesusita1918
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:29 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
yeah, i fly mine with its CG a little back most the time. I like it to drift backwards not forwards on me...... if it is going to drift due to CG.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:08 AM
France, IdF, Châtenay-Malabry
Joined Aug 2010
287 Posts
Dear all,

This is the last video I made with my Scarab QuadOcta during my vacation in Brittany. Sorry for the small gello, I did not have with me the equipment to perfectly equilibrate my props:

Le Traict du Croisic / Cockle farming
Le Traict du Croisic - Cockle farming (2 min 48 sec)

Enjoy,

Gregory
glambert is offline Find More Posts by glambert
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:45 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Hey that's a sharp looking GS! The volt meter is a great idea - I will be copying you on that one...
Somehow I knew you would like it Here is the voltmeter module I used....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270944676756...84.m1497.l2649

Doug
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:27 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Doug, thanks for voltage reg link. Ordered a couple of them.

Jason, hella nice videos. I really like what you're doing in post!

I just received a new DJI F450 to use as a test platform. We also have a Gaui, but it's so small and delicate and I'm still a bit hard on it. After some hours with the new quad, I think a Triikopter or the Y6 is in my future.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
What software for my new Avatar?

Hi everyone, have been flying scarab stealth armor version and just got Avatar airframe and am planning to us the Paris3200 bd from the scarab. Does any one know which software to load, it's not really clear ..Thanks..
Steve
adobe7 is offline Find More Posts by adobe7
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:21 PM
I dont work here
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adobe7 View Post
Hi everyone, have been flying scarab stealth armor version and just got Avatar airframe and am planning to us the Paris3200 bd from the scarab. Does any one know which software to load, it's not really clear ..Thanks..
Steve
If you order the board form MWC then its tricopter- ( their standard trtcopter version) you need

I ordered the same card with my Avatar, and it arrived pre-programmed and it even had Quintons PIDs from his Avatar pre set, so I didn't have to load code at all, i just needed to do the Tx set up and i changed the sensor matrix to suit how I wanted to switch the various modes
Deet_aus is offline Find More Posts by Deet_aus
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
The weather has been really good lately so lots of flying, recording and editing has been going on in my life...

Here, is a FPV style video, in which I was going for long, low, and fast flying for excitement. I freaked-out a few ducks and one ground squirrel in this video. See if you can find them. :-)

Scarab Triikopter - FPV Smob'n (2 min 12 sec)
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:53 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,155 Posts
Quote:
The weather has been really good lately so lots of flying, recording and editing has been going on in my life...

Here, is a FPV style video, in which I was going for long, low, and fast flying for excitement. I freaked-out a few ducks and one ground squirrel in this video. See if you can find them. :-)
NIce! Good video, flying, and editing. I like your choice of doing mostly 2 minute videos, although on this one I would have liked more

Doug
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:42 PM
Photograper
Sweden, Älmhult
Joined Mar 2012
21 Posts
Triikopta first lift off. https://vimeo.com/41002248
Not sure though how far from lifting my GoPro2. Seems a bit scary
right now, but eventually it's going on and up. New to fly by wire, flying fixed wing for 25+ years.
Bonson is offline Find More Posts by Bonson
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
61 Posts
Quanum Telemetry System

I am using the Quanum telemetry system to monitor my battery.

I followed the steps from several sites:

1) Press the BIND and POWER buttons simultaneously.

The screen reads "Binding . . ." but never goes beyond to show the individual cells. (I have waited for more than 15 minutes.)

I have a fully charger receiver and the signal icon on the receiver indicates it is "reaching" out.

I have carefully connected the transmitter to my battery through the balance line and held the BIND button down. The "green" light is flashing.

My problem is the receiver is still in the BINDING mode and I never read the status of the cells.

Anyone understands what is going on? Any suggestions?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Mar 2012
61 Posts
I tried it again and it is working. Sequence of events is critical.

Thanks for consideration.