HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:55 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindflight View Post
This will be perfect for what I want to build. Do you have a list of all the parts & where you got the case info? Will be watching close..
Thanks
Hi BlindFlight,

I've completed the new ground station is posted it in the FPV ground station thread to not get off topic on this thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1532

I like the idea of having a small and light weight GS, and I hope that the video range on this simple setup will suffice for my flying style.

Regards,
Jason

Sneak peek of the finished GS:
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyy View Post
Hello to all in the forum, I am looking for some expert help with 2 or 3 questions, I recently purchased the Scarab QUAD X Stealth Reconn with the FPV gear included. I fly Heli's but I am very much of a noob on the quads.

1. I am reading conflicting ESC info in the instructions, first it says to use only one red wire on the ESC's and in another section the recommended setting is to leave all ESC red wires connected.

2. I have a DX8 bound to a AR8000 receiver and when I hook up the quad to the computer I can see the info from the Paris but I get no stick inputs from my controller. I have the model in the radio set to Acro but can't set PPM anywhere so I am thinking that's why I'm not getting any stick inputs on the computer, is there any way to get my DX8 working or do I need a different radio. I also have a Futaba 7c but I don't have a receiver on hand for it.

3. Tx sticks to operate the Paris, seem to be set up for mode 2 flyers, I fly mode 1 and really don't want to learn mode 2 is there a way to make mode 1 work, or possibly any other way to make this work?

Thanks in advance for any help on these questions. I will be going out of town tomorrow so if anyone is able to help I will check and reply if needed on Wednesday.
Hi mate, I'm new to multirotors too. Whilst I don't have all the answers I can answer yours from my experience so far.

1. Leave all ESC red wires connected only the fifth lead of the loom which connects to the Andromeda board(all the colored lights) has black wire omitted. Program each ESC separately through the throttle channel of receiver, and do throttle calibration. Then put them in the Quad frame.

2. I use a DX8 Mode1 and AR7000 receiver, binds Ok and was seeing stick inputs at first, somehow I did something and even though the Quad responds to the radio I can't get the GUI to show any readouts.

3. If you read the instructions about arming etc carefully you see they refer to Yaw or Aileron etc, just do that with your Mode 1 sticks still works fine.

Hope that helps you. I'm still stuck getting the GUI to respond.
Chestcutter is offline Find More Posts by Chestcutter
Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:20 AM
anthony
Joined Apr 2012
53 Posts
Scarab Y6 or NextLevel hexa 650/800 for AP/video

I'm new to the forum and world of multicopters but have read many threads and forums recently including all the way through this one. I'm a photographer in New Zealand and will soon be needing to shoot both stills and video from the air longterm and am also thinking this looks like a great new hobby too. I've been researching the various brands and until i found this thread was thinking either a NExtLevel 650 or 800 or Droidworx hexa would probably be the way to go; although the alternative is a rtf DJI550 available here for US$1500 approx. I don't believe the 550 has the lift capacity i would like though, as while things may start with a GoPro i will also be wanting to use a small DSLR like a Nikon D7000 and/or a Sony NEX7. The Scarab and the NExtLevel have a lot of fans and support on this forum and i'd like to know what the various members who have used or have knowledge of the other brands would suggest model/brand wise. I had been thinking a NextLevel 650 or 800 hexa heavy lift when it happens (must be close now) may be the answer or an alternative to the Droidworx AD6HL. but am now wondering about the Scarab Y6 v2. Appreciate any feedback and sorry for the long post.
smudgernz is offline Find More Posts by smudgernz
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Mar 2012
61 Posts
The problem was the FTDI Basic Breakout - the led came on but was not communicating with the Paris. Fortunately I have two extra so I am getting readings no just trying to figure out how to change the values.
jesusita1918 is offline Find More Posts by jesusita1918
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:22 AM
FPV MultiWiii
Joined Mar 2011
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Nice video Nick, what copter and gimbal was this shot with? I like the tilt at the end.
thanks crazy J,
this was shot with cs and cs 3 axis gimbal.
using the paris gimbal board for camera stabilization
Tretch5000 is offline Find More Posts by Tretch5000
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:28 AM
FPV MultiWiii
Joined Mar 2011
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IconFlyer View Post
very cool! I understand from Quinton you're using the DJI WKM but went with the PARIS for the gimbal control...I'm trying this tomorrow the moment I'm done with my shoot...I assume you also found the DJI controls twitchy?
yes this is correct, on this bird i am using the DJI WKM multiwiicopter.
i went with the paris board because i needed a separate IMU on the gimbal.
the gimbal can rotate 360 degrees independent of the copter so i cant have any wires running down from the DJI. on another note, i have never experienced any issues with the WKM gimbal output. i find it is actually quite smooth. another reason i went with the Paris for the gimbal is because i can program it any way i like,. and if i don't like something i can just change the code. whereas the WKM you are stuck with the gain settings and servo travel. plus you don't get a yaw output like the paris has.
Tretch5000 is offline Find More Posts by Tretch5000
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Mar 2012
61 Posts
Prop balancing

I have been using the Flite Prop balance. Recently I became aware of Dubro balance. Anyone out there with experience with both and why they like one over the other?
jesusita1918 is offline Find More Posts by jesusita1918
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:35 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
The flite is more precise in my experience. The Dubro is fast to get a decent level of balance for blades.... But hub balancing the flite is better.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:12 PM
I dont work here
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Apr 2012
1,490 Posts
Hi all

Been flying helis for two years now but recently got the multi-rotor bug.... have done a couple of scratch build quads but decided I wanted something nicer

I have ordered a Scarab Avatar, and can't wait to get started on the build.

Being the obsessive type that I am, I would like to look over the manual, or see any build pics or videos while I wait for it to arrive, but I can't seem to find any.

Has anyone got any links for me?
Deet_aus is offline Find More Posts by Deet_aus
Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:48 PM
So I have a head on my butt.
United States, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2010
495 Posts
Quote:
Hi BlindFlight,

I've completed the new ground station is posted it in the FPV ground station thread to not get off topic on this thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1532

I like the idea of having a small and light weight GS, and I hope that the video range on this simple setup will suffice for my flying style.

Regards,
Jason

Sneak peek of the finished GS:
Jason, that is really slick - what are you using for a monitor?

JIm
jimfc is offline Find More Posts by jimfc
Old Apr 07, 2012, 07:24 PM
United States, WI, Paddock Lake
Joined Dec 2011
25 Posts
Quote:
............P.......I.......D
Pitch ...7......30.....17
Roll......7......30.....17
Yaw.....8......30......0
Thank you so much for this. Got a chance to go out this morning, and even in about 10-15mph wind, the Y6 handled MUCH better.

Also, got half way through my custom case build today for the Y6. Should have pics tomorrow.
PubUltraStar is offline Find More Posts by PubUltraStar
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfc View Post
Jason, that is really slick - what are you using for a monitor?

JIm
I don't really use a monitor with this setup, but the CarbonBird DVR shows the video on the screen while it's capturing.

I tested the new 5.8Ghz setup today and was very disappointed - I could only get about 50-100 feet before signal was lost. Thanks to the CarbonBird FPV DVR the downlink was recorded as I flew the copter LOS. After the flight I reviewed the recorded video to see the disappointing range...

I'm not sure what the issue is, I tried different 5.8Ghz channels and also tried powering the FPV TX by a separate battery to eliminate any noise in the power lines. I may try the stock whip antennas that came with the VRX and VTX to see if that makes any difference. Right now I'm trying to retro fit my 1.2Ghz stuff into a small box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PubUltraStar View Post
Thank you so much for this. Got a chance to go out this morning, and even in about 10-15mph wind, the Y6 handled MUCH better.

Also, got half way through my custom case build today for the Y6. Should have pics tomorrow.
Glad to be of service PubUltra*!
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:55 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i had poor luck with 5.8ghz as well.

I have a set of foxtech 5.8ghz gear with CP antennas and I get glitches when i spin circles and I was getting a lot of reflections..

i switched to 1.3ghz CP antennas and i get great results.... i was even chasing planes 2 days ago like J. Well not as good as J but I had fun..... until I ran into a tiger moth kit!!! Foam everywhere...... i broke a prop at about 150ft up and my Y-6 recovered

HoverFly Y-6 Fresno Field Flying FPV: 4x4, Tiger Moth Collision..... (3 min 49 sec)
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
i had poor luck with 5.8ghz as well.

I have a set of foxtech 5.8ghz gear with CP antennas and I get glitches when i spin circles and I was getting a lot of reflections..

i switched to 1.3ghz CP antennas and i get great results.... i was even chasing planes 2 days ago like J. Well not as good as J but I had fun..... until I ran into a tiger moth kit!!! Foam everywhere...... i broke a prop at about 150ft up and my Y-6 recovered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz1xRDgiBnI
You'e come a longways Adidas! Nice video. That poor Tigermoth didn't stand a chance - good recovery too...

I look forward to your next video.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Here's my latest video shot with a GoPro HD2 and the Scarab Triikopter. In most of the shots I slowed The video down to 1/2 speed since I was line of slight and couldn't tell if I was getting a good shot.... The video turn out very well! The Scarab Triikopter is the perfect FPV and AP multipurpose copter - great agility for FPV fun and smooth flying for AP goodness.... I had a blast flying this machine today.

Scarab Triikopta // Life Technologies (1 min 40 sec)
Last edited by crazyj; Apr 09, 2012 at 10:04 PM.