SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Discussion
Anyone have experience with Depron Aero?

Tried doing several different searches for Depron Aero on this forum. Only found one relevant thread and it had only one response. The guy said he heard Depron Aero was more brittle.

RCfoam website says its 20% lighter. Just wondering what you guys thought of the product.

Will be used to make elevons and fins for a lightweight stryker.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2011, 12:35 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,316 Posts
Heres someone who's used it on this build i think he liked it
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old May 31, 2011, 06:33 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,982 Posts
Gordon Johnson from the micro area and I have both used it. Neither of us showed a weight difference between 3mm Depron and Depron Aero. True Gedlipac which is in the Clik! Kits was definitely lighter and slightly more resilient. Gordon actually imported some Gedlipac and found it lighter than the Depron Aero he purchased in the US.

Others have reported a weight difference so it may just have been the luck of the draw on foam density. Very little info on the material, but you might have some luck in the F3P forum. Search on Gedlipac which is the European name.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old May 31, 2011, 02:43 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Thanks guys. Interesting about the lack of weight difference.

I placed an order with RcFoam for a sheet each of 6mm Depron white, gray, and Depron Aero.

Will definitely put them on the scale. Inspect the finish and flexibility of each. Will report back and hopefully help someone who searches this topic later on.
Old May 31, 2011, 09:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Thanks guys. Interesting about the lack of weight difference.

I placed an order with RcFoam for a sheet each of 6mm Depron white, gray, and Depron Aero.

Will definitely put them on the scale. Inspect the finish and flexibility of each. Will report back and hopefully help someone who searches this topic later on.
Pay attention to the grain of the Depron. It's stiffer in one direction than the other.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 31, 2011, 09:06 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Hell yeah thats what im talking bout!!!

Awesome tip thank you
Old May 31, 2011, 09:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Hell yeah thats what im talking bout!!!

Awesome tip thank you
The funny part is, you can't tell by looking at it. The only way to tell is by flexing it in your hands. It's noticeably stiffer in one direction. What I generally do is draw a faint arrow in pencil with the arrow pointing in the direction of the grain.
Old May 31, 2011, 09:38 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Once again great tip. Have you had your hands on any Depron Aero?
Old May 31, 2011, 09:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Once again great tip. Have you had your hands on any Depron Aero?
To be honest, I couldn't really tell you. I get my Depron from the two LHS's that stock it near me. I'm not so sure that if Depron Aero is lighter, that one would actually be able to say "Wow, this stuff is so light!" because after all, the kind of Depron we use the most is just not that heavy to begin with.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:57 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,316 Posts
A 20% weight savings on the Airframe of the plane the size i linked to would be a big deal !!

Also all depron seems to have a grain to it and is easier to bend one way then the other without it breaking or cracking
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:37 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
A 20% weight savings on the Airframe of the plane the size i linked to would be a big deal !!
A 20% airframe weight savings is significant at any size. That's why I bought a case of it for my F3P Planes. That's how you get a 34" plane down to 118g ready to fly w/o battery. I was definitely disappointed in what I got.

NoFlyZone: Depron Aero (Gedlipac) is generally more expensive, more resilient and the skin has more of an orange peel feel to it. The differences are slight, but if you run your hands across it you can feel the difference in the texture.

As we've found, most of the weight of Depron is actually in the skin formed under steam and pressure which is why there's basically no weight difference between 2 and 3mm Depron. My guess is that the manufacturer uses a slightly different process which results in a different skin accounting for the weight difference. Other than that, the workability is the same.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:19 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
I have a question regarding the grain and flexibility. When cutting out a part like a vertical fin for a stryker. My initial thought is to orientate the more rigid direction facing up.....as to reduce any flex in the fin.

But if Depron or Depron aero is more prone to cracking in the rigid direction. Maybe it would be better to purposely allow that part to flex? By having the more flexible direction facing up?

What about a part like an elevon? Since that particular part is long and skinny....and the long side mechanically attached with tape. Im thinking it would be ok to use the more rigid direction for the long part.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:09 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
Depron has been here. Finally got me paws on it. Will be cutting pieces and weighing them.

Still curious about the grain/flexibility and how you guys would recommend cutting out fins and elevons.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:10 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
I cut 12x12 sheets and weighed them. Used micrometer to get a rough thickness. It varied from edge to edge i wrote down what felt like the mode.

6mm Depron White: 21.8g, 0.242"
6mm Depron Aero: 14.1g, 0.242"
6mm Depron Grey: 13.1g, 0.215"

Cut 6x12" sheets of the following sizes.

3mm White: 6.7g, 0.124"
3mm Aero: 4.5g, 0.124"
3mm Grey: 5.4g, 0.115"

2mm White: 5.2g, 0.080"
1mm White: 4.3g, 0.053"
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,961 Posts
What was interesting to me was watching the Depron Grey bounce around. In the 6mm size it was the lightest and most flexible in both directions. But it is much thinner.

The 6mm Depron Aero is noticeably more flexible than 6mm White. The "stiff" direction of Aero is still more flexible than the weak direction of the regular white version.

At the 3mm size the Depron grey is again thinner but this time its heavier than the Aero.

I found it weird the Depron Aero and Grey shared size and direction of grain relative to the rectangle i bought 15"x39". The Depron White's grain ran the other direction and came in 13"x39" width. The place i bought from did offer larger sizes.

I wrote the company asking if the Depron Grey was also the lighter Aero version. Emailed back really quick and said no its not the Aero. I wrote back saying thats weird cause its lighter than Aero but its also thinner. Didnt hear back. But also didnt ask a direct question.

So thats what i found hope it helps