264 Posts
+1 Attopilot
Mecha is offline Find More Posts by Mecha
Old Jul 05, 2011, 09:50 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I don't have any experience with Ruby. They did hit the market with much fanfare (I guess that's what a full page ad in Model Aviation will get you)... and I did contact the owner of the company, Jim, about adding their protocol to my GCS. He wasn't interested at the time as they were working on their own. It has possibilities, but right now I think it's equivalent to the FY21AP from FeiyuTech. It's a stabilizer system with Return to Home. I suppose the auto-land function may be worth looking at...but it's not really an auto-pilot in the sense of all the others I listed as it does not fly a mission with waypoints.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 05, 2011, 10:19 PM
3D Crazy
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Joined May 2010
796 Posts
+1 Ardupilot
Meez is offline Find More Posts by Meez
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:27 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,645 Posts
Thanks Happy. I appreciate that insight.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:30 AM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,184 Posts
Attopilot
Bilox is offline Find More Posts by Bilox
Old Jul 06, 2011, 02:52 AM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
Attopilot! Works 'out of the box' and is really the only plug and play autonomous navigation system on the list. It was really limited in the past by the lack of GCS. Since HK's GCS has been available the Atto is the 'Rolls Royce' option.
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Last edited by Lomcevac; Jul 06, 2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 08:31 AM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
Thanks Lomcevac, that's a vote of confidence

Also, there are other options out there. I've only listed the ones I know about or have an opinion on. I may be giving Paparazzi a worse review than it deserves. It does win competitions and seems to be a very popular choice among academics. It is full featured and has been working for years now. With the loss of Hecto I don't know how certain it's future is. Not being intimately involved with the project, I don't know who has taken over maintaining the code and GCS.

I also have not listed any commercial options other than Attopilot. There are lots of choices out there.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 06, 2011, 11:49 AM
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Nov 2001
661 Posts
AttoPilot
hobbyboy is online now Find More Posts by hobbyboy
Old Jul 07, 2011, 12:40 AM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,066 Posts
I like the Attopilot, although I don't own one. It will be my next purchase! Thanks Happy, for that write up.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:17 AM
Registered Crasher
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,184 Posts
Has anyone mentioned Attopilot?
Bilox is offline Find More Posts by Bilox
Old Jul 07, 2011, 09:56 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,963 Posts
Attopilot
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:59 PM
Ruby's Dad
USA, MA, Malden
Joined Apr 2006
18 Posts
Ruby much more than a stabilizer

Hi Folks,

I'm Jim Hall, the creator of Ruby.

I want to be sure a misconception doesn't get started about Ruby's capabilities. In addition to pilot assist (much more than just gyro stabilization), it's a true autopilot with internal IMU. It can bring just about any plane home from miles away, loiter and land with precision in crosswind, as in the video at uthere.com/videos website. In past months, we've been testing and tuning it to fly many different planes optimally and aggressively.

The only capability we've been holding back on in the standard off-the-shelf version is waypointing beyond 1km. We want to avoid regulation and public concern about "point A to point B" capabilities. If you're out a mile or two on FPV and panic, Ruby will bring it back home, but off the shelf, Ruby doesn't do long range navigation other than to bring a plane back home. We'll consider supporting waypointing for specific customers with valid purposes or at specific locations on a case by case basis, however.
uthere is offline Find More Posts by uthere
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:53 AM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uthere View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm Jim Hall, the creator of Ruby.

I want to be sure a misconception doesn't get started about Ruby's capabilities. In addition to pilot assist (much more than just gyro stabilization), it's a true autopilot with internal IMU. It can bring just about any plane home from miles away, loiter and land with precision in crosswind, as in the video at uthere.com/videos website. In past months, we've been testing and tuning it to fly many different planes optimally and aggressively.

The only capability we've been holding back on in the standard off-the-shelf version is waypointing beyond 1km. We want to avoid regulation and public concern about "point A to point B" capabilities. If you're out a mile or two on FPV and panic, Ruby will bring it back home, but off the shelf, Ruby doesn't do long range navigation other than to bring a plane back home. We'll consider supporting waypointing for specific customers with valid purposes or at specific locations on a case by case basis, however.

Nice to see you on the forum! Lots to learn from these guys...... Congrats on your new AP!

Chris McNair
AttoPilot International, LLC
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:28 PM
Joined Oct 2008
118 Posts
UAV Development Board - virtually plug and play and simple to use after a decent amount of reading. Can be in the air very fast. Also cheap! Good forum about the UAVDB and not the latest FPV video or poly-copter.
datapolo is online now Find More Posts by datapolo