HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2011, 07:45 PM
Master of Creative Crashing
United States, MI, Berrien Springs
Joined Mar 2011
47 Posts
Question
Thread Lock for Plastic?

What should be used as thread locker for metal-to-plastic? I know blue Loctite is not good for plastic. I've read that many people use CA, but there are many types of CA--on my workbench I have four different kinds, but I don't know which (if any) will work.

The reason I ask that that I'm having trouble with things popping off my heli in flight. As I understand it, this is not good. I've used blue Loctite on everything metal-to-metal, and they're holding fine. It's the metal screws in plastic that's the problem.
JakeAB is offline Find More Posts by JakeAB
Last edited by JakeAB; May 30, 2011 at 09:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2011, 08:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeAB View Post
What should be used as thread locker for metal-to-plastic? I know blue Loctite is not good for plastic. I've read that many people use CA, but there are many types of CA--on my workbench I have four difference kinds, but I don't know which (if any) will work.

The reason I ask that that I'm having trouble with things popping off my heli in flight. As I understand it, this is not good. I've used blue Loctite on everything metal-to-metal, and they're holding fine. It's the metal screws in plastic that's the problem.
Loctite makes a special blend for metal to plastic but it's essentially CA. http://www.labsafety.com/search/Loct...58/?type=brand

A little bit of any CA should work fine.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old May 30, 2011, 09:12 PM
Master of Creative Crashing
United States, MI, Berrien Springs
Joined Mar 2011
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
Loctite makes a special blend for metal to plastic but it's essentially CA. http://www.labsafety.com/search/Loct...58/?type=brand

A little bit of any CA should work fine.
Yeah, I've seen Loctite 425, but at $20 for a 20g bottle, that's awfully expensive CA. I'd like to know what makes it special.

I have thin, medium and thick CA, just plain CA with no special formulation. Is any thickness better than others, or should I just split the different and use medium?
JakeAB is offline Find More Posts by JakeAB
Old May 30, 2011, 09:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I've seen Loctite 425, but at $20 for a 20g bottle, that's awfully expensive CA. I'd like to know what makes it special.

I have thin, medium and thick CA, just plain CA with no special formulation. Is any thickness better than others, or should I just split the different and use medium?
It's pretty much the same stuff so don't waste your money. The thinner ca will wick into the threads easier.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old May 30, 2011, 09:22 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:

If the hole is not stripped out, thin CA is fine. If the hole is stripped, thick CA is good.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old May 31, 2011, 03:16 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,318 Posts
Thin can be messy, since it runs. I use medium. It dries a little slower, so is easier to use.
You might be over tightening the screws.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old May 31, 2011, 04:00 AM
Recovering nitro addict
Everett,Washington
Joined May 2005
831 Posts
Quote:

All loctite is expensive I agree with Rob,medium gives you more time,and is a little stronger than thin. Thin is good for holes in wood,because it soaks in better.
papa38 is offline Find More Posts by papa38