330 Posts
+2...
_Peter is online now Find More Posts by _Peter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:58 PM
Seattle, Washington, United States, University of Washington
Joined Feb 2003
433 Posts
I would like to see a telemetry device that would simply take an RS232 stream and feed it into the airborne XPS receiver and then on the ground the XPS transmitter would make the RS232 stream available to be plugged into an external laptop computer or microcontroller. Has anyone developed such a device?

I have been intending to develop this myself but I keep getting sidetracked on other projects. I already have a commercial variometer that puts out a serial RS232 data stream and I believe there are other devices that support RS232 output. I also have a GPS with an RS232 output. Also, it is fairly simple to interface sensors to an Arduino microcontroller which can convert the data into an RS232 serial stream. It seems like this would make it quick and easy to adapt existing sensors to the XPS system.
jbeanelliott is offline Find More Posts by jbeanelliott
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:00 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,356 Posts
That's how FrSky does telemetry. With such a link, you could use their hub and sensors. They have some neat sensors, like cell voltage for 12S.

Fred
flarssen is offline Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:28 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
We use a RS232 data stream. It's very well documented here:

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/devinfo.php
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:01 PM
SidGates
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Feb 2006
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
With several hundred thousand XtremeLink systems in circulation, I thought someone would have jumped on this as well. Especially since we gave away the data stream format, schematics, PCB layout, source code, etc. Its free income for someone.

We do have a box that will let you interface any of the Eagletree or Hitec sensors. We are waiting for those, the receiver carrier boards, and other products to arrive. So, I guess you could always buy an Eagletree sensor and our adapter box.
Is there any word on availability of the "box" mentioned above?
sidgates50 is offline Find More Posts by sidgates50
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:21 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
We're waiting for Graupner to confirm they have the new boxes available. Graupner's box uses 3.0v, which is not compatible with normal TTL (3.3v) systems. Not sure why they did this. Also, the voltage regulator they were using had a max input voltage of 6.0v, which means you could not connect a transmitter battery to it for power. That had to also be changed (as part of the regulator change). When they are available we can get them and reflash them with our code and make them available.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:12 AM
SidGates
Joined Feb 2006
150 Posts
"box"

Thanks for the update.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:35 PM
SidGates
Joined Feb 2006
150 Posts
"box"

Jim- Any news on availability of the "BOX"
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:04 AM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,376 Posts
What has happenned to the Scanner software? Just downloaded the XDP package and it isn't there. How do I see the little telemetry I am getting?
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined Jun 2005
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twang View Post
What has happenned to the Scanner software? Just downloaded the XDP package and it isn't there. How do I see the little telemetry I am getting?
Anyone?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:40 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
I contacted Graupner about the Smart Box, and they still do not have the new version that has the higher voltage regulator. So, I am going to see if we can get unassembled units and change the regulators ourselves and finish the assembly.

I just checked the latest setup program, and you are right - the scanner.exe program is missing! The .ini file is there for it, but the executable is gone. Not sure what happened with the installer creator. I will fix that when I arrive at the office tomorrow.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,376 Posts
Thanks Jim. I want to use it to monitor RSSI from a Tricopter
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:47 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
Ok, the installer has been updated to include the latest FTDI USB drivers as well as the missing Scanner program. Use the same link as previously.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:05 PM
Munich, GERMANY
Joined May 2010
10 Posts
I would be more than happy to be able to purchase/use the 'optimized' version of Graupner's SmartBox together with your firmware code for XPS/iFS telemetry display. Even if I would have to re-import it to Germany via direct XPS order. Please lets do this ! Hopefully Graupner will support your efforts, too (supplying unassembled hardware building blocks).
Cluster-Buster is offline Find More Posts by Cluster-Buster
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:58 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,910 Posts
The problem is that Graupner built their SmartBox with a maximum input voltage of 6.0v. This means that you can't run it with a fully charged 4 cell Nicd or Nimh pack (forget about a 5 cell, A123, or 2S Lipo) or it will smoke the box! I have been trying to get Graupner to change the regulator on their production runs so we can support iFS as well as our customers. The box can be used for so much more than just telemetry. It's a great platform, but I am now starting to look elswhere for a solution.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimDrew; Oct 03, 2012 at 12:21 PM.