Old May 30, 2011, 03:17 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
New Product
FMS Lockheed P-38 Lightning 1400mm

Hey guys,

I got pictures in tonight from FMS of their prototype P-38!
Like all the other prototypes from FMS we saw before, this is a handcarved prototype model for testing and the pictures have already been taken two months ago, so they have kept this one totally in secret so far.

It is due to be released together with the FW190 and the Bf109, apparently it is already in the molds and now they just need to produce decals and choose a paintjob.

This time, they explicitly want us to choose the paintscheme for this bird.
I am not a P-38 expert, but I am sure that some of you have some stuff about this great plane. So go ahead, make paintscheme proposals: what would you like to have this bird look like?
For reference, you should have various views of your favourite paintscheme ready. Photos of scale display models are always a good way to show a paintscheme and should be available.
Good sites to look that stuff up are Hyperscale, Modelaces and others. Or maybe you have a book with various pictures or maybe even photos of your own scale model or of a real plane that still flies or stands in a museum?

Also, maybe someone has a 1/32 or larger decal sheet or any other reference for maintenance markings for the P-38?

Now enjoy the photos, I guess this is a J-version. What do you think about the overall scale level? I really can't tell, looks good to me at a first glance but as I said I am not a P-38 expert...

Best wishes,
Bernhard
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
Last edited by Beltpilot; May 30, 2011 at 03:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2011, 04:30 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
To get started, I propose the "California Cutie".
I really like that paintscheme for its visibility and overall great appearance.

Some pictures are from Hyperscale, however the rendition of the paintscheme is not flawless as the markings and invasion stripes are different from the real plane as far as I know... maybe somebody knows more/better and has further pictures?

Then I found quite a few pics of a scale model here which seem to be good. At least, they look like the real thing of which I also attach three pics...

Then, I found a lowres scan of a Kagero-bookpage. Maybe someone has that book and can make a highres scan?

Fortunately, Callie has a decal sheet for the plane. Maybe someone has already bought it and can forward or highres scan it? Or maybe a different decal sheet from another maker?

Oh by the way, this is what happened to the plane in 1996 at Duxford, so it is no more...

Best wishes,
Bernhard
Old May 30, 2011, 06:22 AM
Captain Coolite
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,841 Posts
Under Carriage

G'day Bernhard,
The California Cutie is a good choice, BUT, has already been covered by J Power. I think that Glacier Girl or another one, not yet covered should be in the mix....maybe look at a South West Pacific Colour scheme.

The MOST Important thing for this model MUST BE the gear.
The J power P 38 suffers from very poor under carriage, the wheels are too small, even for scale, and the nose gear MUST be longer than the main gear.

Have a GOOD look at some pics of the P 38 and you will see that the nose gear is Longer.
Also, make sure that it has proper scale looking, and working, gear doors.

I'd also like to see something EXTRA in this model....a sound of guns firing.
FMS have done nav lights and landing lights, but what about the rattle of 4 50 cal machine guns and the thud...thud...thud of a 30mm cannon.

Finally, and this may seem like a radical Idea, but, produce the model in two basic themes, European Theatre, and Pacific theatre. With each model provide 3 choices of decals in each theme. This way, we can have the same model, BUT we could be encouraged to personalise it DURING assembly from the box.

Personally, I'd like to do one of two RAAF themes, but as far as I can discover their were only ever 3 RAAF P 38s and they were on loan and they were Photo Recce birds.

First and foremost though, the gear must me rugged and the nose gear longer.

Hope this helps
Rob
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 06:46 AM
Joined Jan 2011
384 Posts
My wife asked "how many airplanes do you need????" Looks like I need at least 1 more!!! I didn't even get the t-28 yet. FMS is gonna get me in BIG trouble, not to mention keep me broke
warbirdfan2 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdfan2
Old May 30, 2011, 06:51 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Rob,

so you think the nose gear is too short? As I said, I am not an expert with the lightning and I can't really tell from the prototype pics...
If it is rugged or not I can't tell, but I strongly suspect that FMS will use etracts in this bird like on all of the other models so I am not worried that this gear will be anything like the J-Power.

As for the paintscheme, I think that rather one proper scheme should be done rather than some general paintjob with decal sheets. Also, collecting decals for 3 different liveries is not that easy and takes some time...
I know that the Cal Cutie has been done by J-Power, I own that one myself. But that model and the whole paintjob is pathetic, especially the nose decals...

But of course, many other paintschemes would be good as well, be it Pacific or European. I also like Bong's "Marge" as an example.
"Glacier Girl" is a simple yet nice scheme, do you have picture reference for that one (like the various views shown above) and a possible source for the decals?

Make your suggestions, however there should be picture material and decals available for the paintjob in question, like the stuff shown above for the Cal Cutie.

Best wishes,
Bernhard
Old May 30, 2011, 09:05 AM
Captain Coolite
Joined Jan 2011
2,841 Posts
PUTT PUTT Maru

This is a nice scheme, and you can see the Nose wheel gear length.
This ACFT was one used to train RAAF pilots before they took delivery of their 3 ACFT.

There is only one place to go to get the Graphics done....Callie
The significance of the ACFT is that the Pilot was the highest scoring P38 Ace to have survived the war.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 09:15 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,914 Posts
Constructive critisism: Wheels and legs are horribly undersized which ruins the whole effect. SCALE size wheels please, other than that, with paint and the correct wheel size leg length, it could look good. The pilot I hope, will be different too.

Paint scheme , 'Marge' flown by Dick Bong.

Cheers

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old May 30, 2011, 09:20 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2011
478 Posts
1 in OD green / Grey and 1 in silver, let us put the stickers on in case we want another scheme.
FLYBOB54 is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOB54
Old May 30, 2011, 09:29 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,836 Posts
Yeah!!

Let us not forget Tom McGuire! - especially on Memorial Day. ++1K on the landing gear - every P-38 modeled so far is so far off on the gear that it really cheapens the effect. Rob is right on the nose wheel; MUST be longer than the mains, and produce the characteristic nose-high posture when sitting.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old May 30, 2011, 09:45 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
808 Posts
Nice, I didn't even know FMS had this in the plans...I'm on board for sure..

Jazzbone
JazzboneCuit is online now Find More Posts by JazzboneCuit
Old May 30, 2011, 10:05 AM
Excuse me , I speak Jive...
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Jun 2008
626 Posts
I vote for Happy Jack's Go Buggy. Here is the story behind it.

P-38J Lightning "Happy Jack's Go Buggy"

Capt. Jack Ilfrey standing in front of his P-38J-15-LO Lightning, serial number 43-28431, named "Happy Jack's Go Buggy". 'Happy Jack' was Ilfrey's nickname. He was a member of the 79th Fighter Squadron, 20th Fighter Group. (U.S. Air Force photo)

Capt. Ilfrey was one of the unique men of World War 2.

- While on his first of two combat tours in Europe, serving with the 1st Fighter Group, he caused an international incident when he landed his P-38 in nuetral Portugal, low on fuel. He tricked the Portuguese into giving him some fuel and took off. All aircrew and ships that land in a neutral country are supposed to be interned till the end of hostilities and his leaving caused a big flap. The U.S. State Department was going to send him back to Portugal until Gen. Jimmy Doolittle intervened and smoothed things over.

- Had over four foot of the right wing of his P-38 sheared off by an Me-109 he was dogfighting. The German pilot didn't survive the collision but Ilfrey managed to fly his badly damaged plane back to base.

Got 'busted' to 2nd Lt. after the celebration for his promotion to Major got a little out of hand. He was acting C.O. of the 79th Fighter Squadron at the time, giving him the claim to fame of being the only 2nd Lt. to command a combat fighter squadron in the USAAF.

- Landed his P-51 Mustang behind enemy lines in Holland to pick up his downed wingman. Both of them managed to squeeze into the cockpit for the short flight to Brussels,Belgium.

- Got shot down during a strafing mission over France on June 13,1944. He made it over 200 miles back to Allied lines dressed as a French farmer, with a lot of help from the French underground.
carguy671 is offline Find More Posts by carguy671
Old May 30, 2011, 10:12 AM
Captain Coolite
Joined Jan 2011
2,841 Posts
Happy Jack...my kinda guy...I'm guessing that we may have been cut from the same mold.
Just after promotion to SGT, I was the Troop SGT for a Huey Troop sent to the Solomons for Peace Making duties.
Got into a bit of strife trying to do the right thing by the boys and got charged. Cost me 6 days Pay.
Yep, happy Jack gets a +++1k from me.
On ya Jack
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2011, 10:13 AM
Joined Aug 2003
624 Posts
hi, be nice if the outboard wing panels where removable,for transport,have
wing attach hardware and servo leads conectors under turbo hacth would be
easy enough,do like the flaps
mdugas is offline Find More Posts by mdugas
Old May 30, 2011, 10:23 AM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,914 Posts
One more thing. Maybe because it's a pre-production model, will dihedral be introduced into the production models?

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton