SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 29, 2011, 06:51 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
219 Posts
Discussion
47" WS Flying Wing with Landing Gear

We have many foam flying wings at our field and all of them are hand launched. I have seen many, many crashes at the hand launch. I know that many are during the maiden flight. I had no interest in crashing planes like that. But I liked the blue fan fold material. I played with it until I came up with a very durable and light weight landing gear. AUW is about 30oz. Since it is an airfoil flat bottom wing, the stall at landing is very predictable; it lands very slow. Two carbon arrow shafts glued against the inside bottom wing surface tie the landing gear and motor support together. I originally posted to the Bluecor Flying Wing thread, but then realized that my interest and contribution is a Flying Wing with landing gear, so I changed the subject and re-posted. Here are the photos:
villapilote is offline Find More Posts by villapilote
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 09:57 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,878 Posts
Good looking wing. Nice solution to stated goal.

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:41 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
219 Posts
Here is a video of some takeoff and landings.
Rudy and Wing1 (2 min 50 sec)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Love what you have done with the landing gear. I now understand that I have my gear too far to the read. Need to move they forward towards the CG. Thank you.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:43 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by villapilote View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leAU-N8bTOM
did they pay u anything to mow the lawn?
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by villapilote View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leAU-N8bTOM
looks funny moving around in the grass . like some sort of bug , but i have to admit that its cool. it would look sweeter with retracts. hint hint.i sent the video link to my club members since 75% fly wings out of blue core so they are gona get a kick out of this as i did. great job
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
It is not easy to put landing gear on a flying wing, I know. EEK!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:08 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
219 Posts
I have seen many flying wings being hand launched, and immediatley crash. This happens most frequently on the first hand launch, when the trim and the CG are not yet correct. And also on the second launch, and the third, and the fourth; see where I'm going? It is a lot safer to do it with landing gear. Besides, I enjoy take-offs and landings; sometimes I'll do 10 in one flight.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
I also believe it is much safer with landing gear. When things are right, it will reveal itself.

Question, how do you determine the location of the rear landing gear? I have tried a number of places without success, I don't seem to be able to get the wing to rotate for take off so now I am trying enlarging the nose gear so that the wing is angled for take-off without rotating.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:12 PM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
219 Posts
Hi rimshotcopter
I assume you are using elevons, so you have ailerons and elevators. I locate the rear main gear about 1/2" to the rear of the CG. Like you, I also have the front gear so the wing sits on a level surface with some positive incidence. I originally started with the motor shaft being about 1" above the wing cord line. The wing was very sensitive in pitch, and on rare occasions would do an uncommanded 360 degree flip in a fraction of a second. It took me a long time to realize that the motor shaft should be located so the thrust line extends through the vertical CG. I no longer have the flying wing; too many crashes. I took the same motor and prop and built it into a twin boom pusher plane. The prop shaft is about 3/8" below the wing chord line. I have to use very long 1/8" diameter piano wire landing gear because I am using a 10" diameter prop. I have noticed that in the pusher configuration the motor and prop are much better protected than in a conventual configuration.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Awe!! Thank you Villapilote.