Old May 29, 2011, 02:43 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,264 Posts
Question
Mystery Engine

Hello everyone,

Could you please help me figure out what engine this is? Could it possibly be 1/2A?

Any information would be spectacular!

Thanks,
KP
kpriddle is offline Find More Posts by kpriddle
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2011, 01:51 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpriddle View Post
Hello everyone,

Could you please help me figure out what engine this is? Could it possibly be 1/2A?

Any information would be spectacular!

Thanks,
KP
Its definitely a "Whatzit", but if a gun was held at my head, I'd say its of Japanese origin, possibly a TOP or HOPE. Why not bring it over to the Vintage Glow Engines thread on this forum ? BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old May 30, 2011, 09:03 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,608 Posts
I took a look through the American Model engine Encyclopedia, and it was not in the book.
But the book's author does admit they may have missed a few engines. But there was nothing even close in the book, that looked like that engine.
So I would concur that it is of foreign origin.

Some of the HOPE engines look close, but they don't have the screw in intake venturi though.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; May 30, 2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old May 31, 2011, 06:20 PM
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,264 Posts
Thank you for the responses.

Twin Stack,

It doesn't look like my post on the Vintage Glow Engines thread went anywhere. It seems to have been run over.

I still have NO IDEA what this engine is...

KP
Old May 31, 2011, 06:55 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpriddle View Post
Thank you for the responses.

Twin Stack,

It doesn't look like my post on the Vintage Glow Engines thread went anywhere. It seems to have been run over.

I still have NO IDEA what this engine is...

KP
KP I haven't given up yet - am trying to contact a colleague who knows much more than me on these obscure engines. In the meantime, do you know any history of the engine ? Did you have a relative that may have been stationed in Japan after the war ? A lot of these were brought back by returning Servicemen. BOB
Old May 31, 2011, 07:20 PM
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,264 Posts
Twin,

In fact, I was/am looking to buy this engine. I know nothing more about the history of the engine. I wish I did! It truly is a diamond no matter what it is.

KP
Old May 31, 2011, 08:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
It looks like it was originally a spark ignition engine, converted to glow. If that's the case, then it could be older than we thought. BOB
Old May 31, 2011, 08:38 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,250 Posts
Easy to find out if it was originally spark ignition: Is there a window on the other side of the front bushing for a point rubbing block? And is the plug a spark plug? Champion made some glow plugs with porcelain insulators, IIRC, so it might be either one.
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old May 31, 2011, 09:00 PM
Maine
Joined Oct 2008
1,264 Posts
Hey everyone,

I just learned that the engine sold for $90. It sounds to me like someone had an idea about what it was and what it was worth. Not knowing the name or history of it, I just didn't feel comfortable pulling out the money.

Thank you for your help everyone! It's a sad day...

KP
Old May 31, 2011, 10:02 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
I put a similar engine, a Cobb 14, on eBay for a friend, It sold for $800+ to an English guy who was just ecstatic to get it. I later talked to an old engine expert. He told me that engine was the third known example, and the English guy had gotten a really good deal. It had the timer missing, and had a 3/8 glow plug, plus other dings the guy said he could fix.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
KP I haven't given up yet - am trying to contact a colleague who knows much more than me on these obscure engines. In the meantime, do you know any history of the engine ? Did you have a relative that may have been stationed in Japan after the war ? A lot of these were brought back by returning Servicemen. BOB
KP (and everyone else), I got in contact with my friend about this engine, and as he writes articles on these obscure oriental engines, he would dearly like some more information on it. Does anyone know - who the seller was, or who bought it ? Any information would be helpful ! Thanks, BOB