Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 29, 2011, 12:06 PM
United Kingdom, England, Portsmouth
Joined Jan 2009
686 Posts
Help!
foam flying wing hot wire cutting help needed plz

have searched and read alot of info but i still cant find out how to setup and cut a trapeziodal wing with a hot wire cutter?

can anyone please point me to a simple how to as it where?
many thanks RCT
rcta15 is offline Find More Posts by rcta15
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 12:48 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
Make your wing blanks as separate halves, then apply your airfoil templates to the root and tip and cut the airfoils individually. On the templates, it's helpful to put marks or numbers on them so that you can keep equal progress.

Also, make sure all the edges of your blanks are squared up so that the wing comes out perfectly symmetrical.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old May 29, 2011, 01:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP16 View Post
Make your wing blanks as separate halves, then apply your airfoil templates to the root and tip and cut the airfoils individually. On the templates, it's helpful to put marks or numbers on them so that you can keep equal progress.

Also, make sure all the edges of your blanks are squared up so that the wing comes out perfectly symmetrical.
thanks for that, but i think i did not get across what i ment.......
this is what i mean.......

Hotwire demonstration (3 min 30 sec)
Old May 29, 2011, 04:30 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,473 Posts
use the nail technique like in my video its much easier
cutting foam flying wings with hotwire cutter (3 min 43 sec)
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old May 30, 2011, 08:56 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,314 Posts
RCT,

I prefer to cut my airfoils with two templates. I cut the bottom airfoil first, then the top. Doing it this way it's easier to make accurate templates. When I cut the bottom airfoil the foam will drop into the bottom bed the thickness of my wire and then when I cut the top airfoil I'm cutting foam away from the top bed, not the top of the airfoil. Thus my airfoil is the thickness of the original airfoil I printed from the airfoil plotting program.

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but making a Pivot cut as you've seen in the two videos is fairly easy to setup. Align the trailing edge of the foam block on a straight line with the secured part of your bow, place weights on the foam block. Then to align the bow with the leading edge of the airfoil move the foam block closer or further away from the pivot point till the wire is parallel with the leading edge. That's it.

It's not necessary but I have an Excel spreadsheet that will give you the distance from the pivot the foam block should be after entering a few simple dimensions.

You can find the File that's called Foam Cutter Calc and also an Article called Build an Automated Foam Wing Cutter at www.TailwindGliers.com on the Articles/Files page. They are FREE.

I've also produced a video that you may be interested in as well but there is a lot of time shooting video, explaining the techniques and editing so I'm asking a fee for the instructional DVD. Please see the reviews and testimonials on the videos.

All the best from Montana and hope it helps.
Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; May 30, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old May 30, 2011, 09:58 AM
Joined Jan 2009
686 Posts
hmm thanks all time to play with some foam me thinks....
RCT
Old Jun 05, 2011, 02:56 AM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
The said article is on page 103.
Here is the download link
http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/...SD-2008-11.pdf
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Jun 07, 2011, 01:13 AM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
Has anyone found that there is a particular watts per metre that the wire cuts the most accurate shape for EPS and EPP?

I haven't reached that point yet, but I think I'd want to cut a wing that tapers from one airfoil profile on one end to another profile on the other - would this be easiest to do with a bow setup? Or using the nail method would the wire track along the profile closest to the nail when guided along the profile on the furthest side of the block?

HC
HighwayChild is offline Find More Posts by HighwayChild
Old Jun 07, 2011, 07:44 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChild View Post
Has anyone found that there is a particular watts per metre that the wire cuts the most accurate shape for EPS and EPP?

I haven't reached that point yet, but I think I'd want to cut a wing that tapers from one airfoil profile on one end to another profile on the other - would this be easiest to do with a bow setup? Or using the nail method would the wire track along the profile closest to the nail when guided along the profile on the furthest side of the block?

HC
people go by amps not watts
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:29 AM
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
Amps by itself will not fully determine the wire's cutting temperature or heat delivery. You need either Volts and Amps (watts) or Amps and the total resistance of the length of wire.
HighwayChild is offline Find More Posts by HighwayChild