Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 29, 2011, 11:15 AM
Daytona Beach, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
136 Posts
Question
Dynam C-47

Hello all,

I just flew the Dynam C-47 for the first time this AM. It is really a great kit/plane. Flew perfectly straight, had lots of power and with the light wing loading just about will not stall. Can be flown really slowly and very scale like. My last DC-3 was terribly heavy and stalled at really high speeds, basically in cruise. It was discontinued. which ultimately did it in.

I suspect the motors that come with this are not going to last very long. After about 6 flights, the left motors is very stiff to turn by hand. I haven't looked at it yet, but I'd like to find that motor or something equal in power to it.

Does anyone know where to get parts for this plane? These are great planes, but their website is lacking.

Here is the video of first flight:

Dynam C-47 First Flight (3 min 8 sec)

The plastic tailwheel is useless. there is zero control on landing as can be seen. I rigged up steerable tailwheel and I'm glad I did. It works great except landing. Also, if anyone builds one of these, crank in as much rudder as you can. It needs it on takeoff.

Thanks for any help!!
sunderll is offline Find More Posts by sunderll
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 03:28 PM
Huge member!
Pawtucket R.I.
Joined May 2008
479 Posts
Its a great flying plane. I love mine ,Im thinking Hobbypartz will have a motor that will replace the stock one. I use their Exceed motors on everything I own and never had a problem with them. Im sure they have one thats the same KV rating etc. Brutus
BRUTUS2238 is offline Find More Posts by BRUTUS2238
Old May 29, 2011, 03:35 PM
United States, CA, San Leandro
Joined Feb 2011
86 Posts
Very nice maiden
lmramos is offline Find More Posts by lmramos
Old May 29, 2011, 04:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
418 Posts
I use 2408-21 motors on mine.
FLYBOB54 is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOB54
Old May 29, 2011, 08:34 PM
Joined Jul 2006
547 Posts
This is a such a good flying plane.
Do any of these motors work?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/dynammotors.html
wavo is offline Find More Posts by wavo
Old May 29, 2011, 09:02 PM
Daytona Beach, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
136 Posts
Wavo,

I haven't been able to figure out what motors are in the C-47. I had to remove one today inorder to take some preload off the rear bearing. I looks like the Alpha 480 (http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-480-...ess-motor.html). This is a pretty big airplane and even though it's pretty light, there is a lot of drag. There is absolutley no markings of any kind on the motor and the one shown in the instruction book doesn't show up anywhere. The ESCs for the C-47 are 40 AMP, so I'm guessing these motors might be in the 250 watt range.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:17 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2010
737 Posts
Here's the Dynam Skybus thread. 110 pages of great information. Might help answer any questions you have on this plane:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1188923
pilot40874 is offline Find More Posts by pilot40874
Old May 31, 2011, 05:56 AM
Daytona Beach, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
136 Posts
pilot40874; great thread. Thank you!! On Monday AM, after adding some much needed rudder travel and chaging the tail wheel to rubber. I did many, many take offs and landings. I can't believe how slow this plane will fly with zero stalling tendency. It is a joy to fly. I'm going to change out the very mediocre rudder servo and install a stronger, better quality one with much more travel. I'm used to 3D rudder response, not full deflection to get very little response. Other than that, this plane is a joy to fly..
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:48 PM
Daytona Beach, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
136 Posts
Hi all,

After the maiden flight, I decided to "wring" this plane out and get used to it's handling. THe take-offs were really hard and almost impossible to not ground loop. I fastened a Flycam one to my hat brim and also an 808 cam on the belly. Here's the video:

Dynam C-47 video from ground and "Belly Cam" (18 min 12 sec)

It's a really long video, so you can fast forward through a lot. There is one serious cartwheel crash when I discovered how not to go around. Zero damage.

The most rudder travel I could get with the stock servo was about 5/8" either side. I mounted a new Futaba servo with a super long arm. and got about 1.5" either side. I did about 15 more take offs and not one single ground loop. I made some really scale take off rolls about 35 yards long, really slow, as easy as can be now.. It tracks like it's on rails.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 03:14 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2007
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavo View Post
This is a such a good flying plane.
Do any of these motors work?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/dynammotors.html
this is the correct motor on that page:
Dynam Brushless Motor (1100kv) for Dynam Spitfire, SkyBus,Grand Cruiser, SkyTrainer 182, Piper J3 Cub, PBY Catalina
Dynam Brushless Motor (1100kv) for Dynam Spitfire, SkyBus,Grand Cruiser, SkyTrainer 182, Piper J3 Cub, PBY Catalina

Item #: 60P-DYM-0010-BM2815-KV1100
they've been out of stock for a while and if you call them about a date for re-stock, you get told "...you just have to check back...". My buddy called them about his motor failure, they don't even have warranty stock.
albsurfer is offline Find More Posts by albsurfer
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:53 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Dynam C-47 Skybus

Just received my Skybus last Thursday. It came with 30 amp esc's instead of the stated 40 amp. The motors were a little tight so I removed them and had to adjust the endplay by removing some material from the brass spacer at the back of the motor shaft. They both seem to turn freely and in unison now.
I also added the steerable tailwheel mod to it but the stock servo did not seem up to the task of the additional load. I replaced both the elevator and rudder servos with Hitec HS-81's which were a perfect fit in the fuse servo cutouts. During taxi tests I also noticed the left motor esc cutting off and re-initializing so I replaced both of the factory Y-harnesses and the issue seems to have gone away, certainly don't want to see that happen during flight.
I hope to get in the maiden flight soon, weather permitting.

Another note:
Anybody ever check the power of the stock motor setup?
I checked mine and it comes in at:
330 watts @ 10.8v on a 3s 3200 mAh 20C turning the stock Dynam 8x6 3 blade props.
Just wondering if this sounds about right. About 30.8 amps total or 15.4 amps per motor, if my calculations are correct.
All up weight is 2 lbs. 6 oz. so about 139 watts per lb.
rgwilson is offline Find More Posts by rgwilson
Last edited by rgwilson; Nov 21, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:02 AM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,933 Posts
Great Price

I ordered mine from Nitroplanes and it will be here next Wed or sooner. I will check the esc's that come with it and let you know if they are 30 or 40A
The price is lower than it has ever been at $94 and when you add the coupon for an additional 6% off it makes it $88. Had to take advantage and the wife agreed which is rare.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-8931-c47-green-arf.html

I was contemplating ordering from Grayson but after numerous un-answered emails and voice mails I left I figured that if it is this hard to contact them before you buy then what will it be if you have a problem?
I have ordered a few planes from NP and whenever I had to contact them I was able to and get resolution of the problem.
race58 is offline Find More Posts by race58
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:41 PM
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Jan 2008
1,508 Posts
Thginking about a kit bash of this bird into a Locheed electra. I did a quick paint of some of Nitoplanes pictures. Do oyu think it is worth the effort ?
Lexta is offline Find More Posts by Lexta
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Royal Australian Navy Sea Fury
Old Dec 06, 2011, 03:33 PM
GRAYSON HOBBY
Grayson, GA
Joined Oct 2003
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by race58 View Post
I ordered mine from Nitroplanes and it will be here next Wed or sooner. I will check the esc's that come with it and let you know if they are 30 or 40A
The price is lower than it has ever been at $94 and when you add the coupon for an additional 6% off it makes it $88. Had to take advantage and the wife agreed which is rare.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-8931-c47-green-arf.html

I was contemplating ordering from Grayson but after numerous un-answered emails and voice mails I left I figured that if it is this hard to contact them before you buy then what will it be if you have a problem?
I have ordered a few planes from NP and whenever I had to contact them I was able to and get resolution of the problem.
Sorry to derail, but I want to make past, present and future customers aware how to contact us.

I apologize you had trouble reaching us. But to let you know, I recently implemented a support ticket system. We just had too much spam and unwanted emails coming in and important emails would get lost in the mess. Nothing goes unanswered..PERIOD

Thanks

Basil
Lt.Smash is offline Find More Posts by Lt.Smash
Old Dec 09, 2011, 08:27 AM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,933 Posts
Thanks for replying here Basil.
Could you please tell me what is the best way to contact you with a "quick" question where I can get a "quick" response before I place an order?
race58 is offline Find More Posts by race58