HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GimpyPilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 29, 2011, 12:09 AM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Discussion
First full day for Fun Scale F/A-18C Build

I got a fair bit of work done on the Bug today, and I made my first trip to the LHS to pickup the Power 25, navigation and position light components, some paint, 5-min epoxy, some light ply and birch, X-acto blades and the pushrod and sleeves I will use for the rudders.

I got the flaps and slats cut into both wings, and rehinged - trim paint remains.

This was interesting as I found there is a 3rd carbon spar in the wing that stretches from an unknown place inboard on the wing to very far outboard.

I elected to go for full span taped hinges for the slats and flaps as I have never had an issue with this approach. Tomorrow I will trim out the flap and slat coves with red paint - not true to scale but my preferred appearance, same as I did on my PZ T-28C.

I detailed the AIM-9L Sidewinders on the wingtip rails except for cutting in the new fins and am very pleased with the results.

I painted a dark gray detail on the LEX/Strakes I have seen on a number of Hornets and dry fitted the vortex generators.

I detailed out the speedbrake, engine vents and turkey feathers.

And I painted the nose cone, it really needed a little something.

All in all, a pretty good day - got to watch Wrath of Khan and work on my Bug, hard to beat.
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 10:17 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,631 Posts
Pretty cool. I'm curious how much performance those slats add.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Jun 08, 2011, 02:04 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Dora, I did the slats more for scale than anything.

That said, my expectation is that they will allow me to droop the ailerons pretty heavily without tip stalling, and should let me slow the Bug down a lot when combined with the flaps and drooped ailerons.

The slats will deploy with the flaps (somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 as much slat deployment compared to flaps) - activating flaps will mix in aileron droop, so collectively it should be pretty impressive in terms of looks as well as high-alpha slow flight and hopefully on landing.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:46 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,631 Posts
Any flight report yet?
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:20 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Hey Dora, no flight report yet - the project was sidelined by issues with my Jeep and then an overhaul effort on one of my mtorcycles.

Curerntly waiting on replacement Power 25 (LHS gave me the 870 kVa and I need the 1250 kVa) and receiver purchase which may be delayed a bit due to some unforeseen budgetary issues.

Build should resume in the next week or so - mostly servo install, flying tail completion, retracts final install and so on.