HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by gluemaster, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:48 AM
Cub-O-Holic
Deltona, FL
Joined Dec 2006
587 Posts
Discussion
Hobbico Superstar EP to GP: Time for slime!

So this plane I got from my neighbor still had the electric motor and speed control in it and was originally a three channel plane. He modified the wing and added some ailerons but said the were pretty much ineffective so I figured since I was going to convert it to glow I would redo the ailerons and make some other changes. I'll get some pics up here in a bit. He has two of them, one with an OS 25LA and the other one with a 15LA. He says the 15 powered ship is very relaxing and the one with the 25 on it is a rocket, so I had a Thunder Tiger GP15 I was going to use but after I got everything installed to the point it would be ready to fly I was going to have to add an additional 6 oz of lead to the very end of the fuselage by the engine. Well after seeing how much it already weighed before the additional weight I decided to find a larger, heavier engine. I found a used K&B Sportster 28 at Grave's Hobbies in Orlando for a great price and decided it would probably work for what I wanted to do. After staying up until the wee hours this morning I finally had it ready to go. So I loaded up and headed for the place where I fly. I got the plane out, range checked it with my son's help and fueled it up. I fired it up, set the carb, taxied out and nailed the throttle. It took off rather quick and the climb out was really brisk. I got it trimmed out and flew around for a couple of minutes, did a couple of loops and rolls and then landed. I am only running a 3 oz tank in it and didn't really now how long it would fly. Didn't want any dead stick practice on the maiden. When I re-fueled it it didn't take much fuel to fill it back up. I flew it again and after almost 5 minutes I landed again and decided to pack up so I could bring it home to go over the plane. When I removed the wing I was shocked to see that the fuel tank was almost 3/4 full! I thought I was going to have to find some way to install a larger tank in it but I'll leave it alone. All that I think I need to do is add some down thrust to the engine as I have a lot of down elevator trim in it and the CG is right on the money.
gluemaster is offline Find More Posts by gluemaster
Last edited by gluemaster; May 31, 2011 at 07:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts