HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2011, 06:16 PM
AMA 105167
United States, CA, Stockton
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
Question
Covering EPP Foam ...

decisions ... what is the lightest alternative while retaining some strength in covering EPP Foam ...

The options ...
1) Minwax/talc mix, packing tape, 3M 77 adhesive, ultracote or lightweight fabric ...

2) thinned Goop, 3M 77 adhesive, Packing tape, covering material

3) Spackle, 3M 77 Adhesive, Packing tape $ covering material

4) Elmer's wood glue/water mix w/talc, Silkspan, spray paint or Substitute Elmer's with the thinned down Minwax/talc mix ...

I need enlightenment ...

I am thinking #4 option is the best but I have not worked with silkspan with anything other than Dope (Ages ago) ... and I am willing to bet Dope would devour EPP foam ...
D_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by D_Dawg
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2011, 12:48 PM
AMA 105167
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
OK ... In my continuoeus search to find the ANSWER to my own questions ...
I ran accross this video ...

It may be useful to somebody ...
ployglass.wmv (3 min 2 sec)
Old May 28, 2011, 09:50 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Dawg View Post
decisions ... what is the lightest alternative while retaining some strength in covering EPP Foam ...

The options ...
1) Minwax/talc mix, packing tape, 3M 77 adhesive, ultracote or lightweight fabric ...

4) Elmer's wood glue/water mix w/talc, Silkspan, spray paint or Substitute Elmer's with the thinned down Minwax/talc mix ...

I need enlightenment ...

I am thinking #4 option is the best but I have not worked with silkspan with anything other than Dope (Ages ago) ... and I am willing to bet Dope would devour EPP foam ...
#3 - Lightweight spackle . . . Ultracote. #4 is a real pain to sand or get a decent finish on and it's not water repellent much less waterproof. The lightweight spackle is easy to deal with; it can be mixed with Minwax water based poly, too. Check out Polyspan which is heat shrinkable but maybe with too high a temperature for the foam. Make sure the 3M77 does not have acetone in it or goodbye foam.
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old May 29, 2011, 01:18 AM
AMA 105167
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Williams View Post
#3 - Lightweight spackle . . . Ultracote. #4 is a real pain to sand or get a decent finish on and it's not water repellent much less waterproof. The lightweight spackle is easy to deal with; it can be mixed with Minwax water based poly, too. Check out Polyspan which is heat shrinkable but maybe with too high a temperature for the foam. Make sure the 3M77 does not have acetone in it or goodbye foam.
But if you seal it with a light coat of paint, over the treated Silkspan. wouldn't it be waterproof then?
Old May 29, 2011, 01:06 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Quote:
But if you seal it with a light coat of paint, over the treated Silkspan. wouldn't it be waterproof then?
I thought it would but when it was out in damp weather the Elmer's let go under the skin and everything got messy and lumpy - not good. The only thing I could figure was that condensation between the foam and skin loosened up the Elmer's.
Old May 29, 2011, 02:05 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Williams View Post
Make sure the 3M77 does not have acetone in it or goodbye foam.
He's using EPP, acetone won't be a problem.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old May 29, 2011, 02:26 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,189 Posts
Quote:

The options ...

I need enlightenment ...

I'm confused..... why the packing tape and covering material? Are you planning on putting packing tape on and then covering that with some other covering material?

My suggestion.
1 - Lightweight Spackle mixed with water to a heavy cream consistency, smooth on and sand off.
2 - One coat of Polycrylic varnish.
3 - Very light mist coat of 3M77
4 - Cover with colored packing tape. http://www.fast-pack.com/colored_tape.html
4 - Fly and enjoy.

Couple of planes I covered that way.
Old May 29, 2011, 04:04 PM
AMA 105167
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I'm confused..... why the packing tape and covering material? Are you planning on putting packing tape on and then covering that with some other covering material?

My suggestion.
1 - Lightweight Spackle mixed with water to a heavy cream consistency, smooth on and sand off.
2 - One coat of Polycrylic varnish.
3 - Very light mist coat of 3M77
4 - Cover with colored packing tape. http://www.fast-pack.com/colored_tape.html
4 - Fly and enjoy.

Couple of planes I covered that way.
First ... nice covering job with packing tape ...

And your question of confusion ... cover the foam with 3m Extreme packing tape and then cover that with Ultracote ... or that was the method behind the madness ... this technique is common on slope gliders ... but, I am interested in CHEAP, yet not compromising much in strength ... Tissue paper (silkspan like) and polycrylic sounds like an interesting idea ... I then would like to use my spraygun ... and put a couple of light coats on it without adding too much weight ... then play with the airbrush ...

However, been awhile since I last built anything and the fever is back ... just rules have changes since my last build ... that and the flying I plan on doing requires it to still be a Bouncy ... not a CRUNCHY ....

I am on a limited budget ... so everything I do has to be cheap! ... only way wifey will approve ... she still doesn't understand why I need another plane when I have a garage full of them!
Last edited by D_Dawg; May 29, 2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old May 29, 2011, 04:22 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Since EPP grain is fairly deep, any filler is going to add a good bit of weight.

Why not cover with a low temp film (like Econokote) or just use a light spray of contact cement and colored packing tape. For added strenght, cover with bi-di tape first.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old May 29, 2011, 08:04 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,189 Posts
Quote:

However, been awhile since I last built anything and the fever is back ... just rules have changes since my last build ... that and the flying I plan on doing requires it to still be a Bouncy ... not a CRUNCHY ....

I am on a limited budget ... so everything I do has to be cheap! ...
DD,
The Dollar Tree sells very thin/sticky clear packing tape for $1 a roll made by FrostKing. It's plenty strong and very light weight. I've never broke a wing covered with it or in fact, covered with the colored packing tape.
You can spray EPP with any paint and then cover with the clear tape.

Another covering method is newspaper and glue. See here.
Old May 29, 2011, 10:14 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
he's using epp, acetone won't be a problem.
ha!
Old May 29, 2011, 11:25 PM
AMA 105167
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
hummm newspaper .... at least while your waiting for lift, you can have a cup of coffee and read your Sunday Flyer ...
Old May 30, 2011, 01:27 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,652 Posts
I've used the 3M77 spray glue on EPP with pretty good success. Instead of spraying from 8 or so inches away I doubled that distance. Acetone evaporates pretty quickly so my thought was that most of the acetone would evaporate out of the glue before it hit the surface.

That method worked pretty well and I didn't have a melt down though you have to look out for the over spray! Definitely do this someplace outside so the glue doesn't get all over your workshop.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old May 30, 2011, 02:50 AM
AMA 105167
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
This is getting interesting ... finally some decent positve feedback ...

Now, I am having input overload ...
Old May 30, 2011, 07:44 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
EPP is reasonably solvent safe.

Or go to the craft store and pick up some of the 3M spray glue for foam applications. I can never remember the number, but it is available localy for me at Michael's craft stores

You can spray a beer cooler with the stuff without issues.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone