SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:09 PM
PDK/280@1.0
Joined Oct 2009
764 Posts
This is by far my fav airplane ever and for those who have been to Reno and heard Mike Brown's F7F wide open out of turn 4 it is truly amazing and why I love aviation. This was in 2008 and the 1st year I had missed the Reno Air Races in a long time, I think this year Kyle needs to build some cross country time and I think a trip is in order. Any takers? Enjoy the video and sound..nothing better than twin engine radials..
Grumman F7F Tigercat Times Three (10 min 33 sec)
Andrews421 is offline Find More Posts by Andrews421
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2011, 08:36 PM
United States, FL, Crestview
Joined Oct 2008
558 Posts
Love that sound! Down low they sound like a lopey cammed muscle car, and up top you can hear the prop screaming. Definitely would love to go... never been to Reno.

Here's another video too - John Mohr flying a stock Stearman. His skills are impressive in this video (I don't think he busts 800' for most of the show) but I also love the sound of the prop almost going supersonic when he comes out of the dives.

2008 Blue Angels Homecoming - John Mohr (13 min 2 sec)

Kyle
kylewoody is offline Find More Posts by kylewoody
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:54 PM
Evasive maneuvers boys!
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jun 2010
143 Posts
Great Summer Movie

I couldn't resist offering this masterpiece up for everyone's enjoyment.

Here's a movie review from an "anonymous correspondent."

Flying Film is Instant Classic

This is a great film, surely this summer’s action-thriller blockbuster.

In producing and directing this marvelous untitled gem for Denver Film Studios, Tom has brought a unique and thought provoking retelling of the Battle of Britain to the small screen. The movie’s emphasis on action over dialog, plot development, and thematic narrative frees Tom and his cast from the artistic chains of mundane story telling; thus allowing us, the grateful audience, to experience the total, adrenaline soaked experience of air to air combat.

The film is blessed with a stellar cast of incredible aircraft; and no doubt about it, these warbirds are the true stars of the show. We are never introduced to the pilots, so there are none of the standard war film characters to distract us from our true love – these marvelous military airplanes.

The film begins on an exhilarating note. A German Me-109 is pursued by a de Havilland Mosquito and a Supermarine Spitfire Mark 22 (with contra-rotating 6 blade Rotol propellers no less!). Over a rousing musical score by famed German composer Richard Wagner (and seldom has music been used more effectively, think John Williams' work in Spielberg’s “Empire of the Sun”), the unfortunate 109 puts up a game fight but is ultimately brought down by the British fighters, crashing into the verdant landscape. One wonders if the rest of the film can sustain this level of intensity, but Tom delivers the goods. Before we can catch our breath, we are treated to a Fw-190 chased by the Mark 22 Spitfire followed by the Spitfire and Mosquito flying in spine tingling close formation.

What follows next is magical, elevating the movie from mere filmdom into the lofty realm of art. In a darkened sky a beautiful five bladed Hawker Sea Fury flies alongside the Mark 22 Spitfire, accompanied by an ominous, shadowy, mystery plane. In what can only be described as a surreal and Fellini-esque turn of events, the mystery plane is revealed to be an English Electric Canberra jet bomber. A dream sequence ensues wherein the Canberra shoots down the Spitfire, symbolically foretelling the rise of the jet over the prop and showing England’s leading role in that revolution.

Tom shocks us out of our dreamy reverie with a quick glimpse of the Hawker Sea Fury dogfighting the Me-109, an extended sequence showing a Fw-190 attacking a majestic Avro Lancaster, and a stunning shot of a solo Spitfire zooming overhead, silhouetted against the failing light of a setting sun.

The film’s closing scene is a true nail biter. (Warning – Spoiler Alert!) A Me-109 attacks a lumbering Bristol Blenheim and, despite the British crew’s gallant efforts, brings the bomber down. What is the fate of the brave crew? In a final allegorical scene in the style of Frank Capra or, more recently, Steven Spielberg, we see fire and rescue crews rushing to the aid of the smoking Blenheim and we know that all is well.

This is an outstanding film, worthy of that highest of labels – instant classic. While most of the credit goes to producer and director Tom, who also served as a pilot; kudos are also due for fellow pilots Gaz and Gaz’s friend.

Let’s hope that the Academy has taken notice. This is one Oscar–worthy film.

worlds worst special effects movie! (3 min 59 sec)
mdunn30 is offline Find More Posts by mdunn30
Last edited by mdunn30; Jun 04, 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2011, 08:32 AM
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Thanks, Kyle. Great video. I really enjoyed that. And MikeD -- you really need to get out and do some flying. Your imagination is really running wild, but nicely expressed.
Joel Shreenan is offline Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
Old Jun 04, 2011, 03:24 PM
Evasive maneuvers boys!
Joined Jun 2010
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Shreenan View Post
And MikeD -- you really need to get out and do some flying. Your imagination is really running wild, but nicely expressed.
Joel -- You're right! I do need to get out to the field, and soon. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone on Monday night.

All kidding aside, I actually like this little film. These kids obviously made it on a lark, intending it to be amateurishly bad. Still, it has its own brand of heart and soul. I'd rather watch it than some of the recent Hollywood dreck, "Pearl Harbor" immediately comes to mind. And it's worth remembering that this sort of film making isn't all that different from the way that Steven Spielberg got his start as a 13 year old.

But what I really like most about this little film is that it reminds me of my own childhood, playing with my two younger brothers in our backyard, mock dogfighting with model airplanes (usually built with our father's help) just like these young men.

Spielberg on 'Escape to nowhere' (1 min 11 sec)
Last edited by mdunn30; Jun 04, 2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 11:16 PM
PDK/280@1.0
Joined Oct 2009
764 Posts
I know this is not really a history/war bird scene but I think it is a cool flying scene and I love the Aerobat, such a fun airplane to fly...
Iron Eagle - Doug races Knotcher (5 min 57 sec)
Andrews421 is offline Find More Posts by Andrews421
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:10 AM
Evasive maneuvers boys!
Joined Jun 2010
143 Posts
P-51 Video and My Mustang Story (Warning: Sentimental Drival. Read at Your Own Risk!)

P-51 Mustang Flight Demo- Sweet Sound of the Rolls-Royce Merlin! (2 min 21 sec)

When I was in high school (1968 - 1972), a dentist in my hometown purchased a partial interest in a restored P-51 Mustang. He got to hangar it at our small local airport for about two months out of the year and while it was in his possession he would fly it on the weekends. I can remember Saturday mornings, standing in my parents' backyard, listening with wonder to the sound of that Mustang. Dr. Jones was fond of low flying and didn't spare the throttle, and the first thing I would hear was a low rumble in the distance. The sound would grow louder, and louder, and louder still, until I was certain he was almost on top of me. But, invariably, the P-51 was still a distance away, and the roar of its Rolls-Royce Merlin would steadily increase until it began to drown out the whole world. It was a visceral experience, and a wave of unseen vibration would pulse from my chest cavity down to the pit of my stomach and back again, making it as much a tactile encounter as an aural one. And then, suddenly, just as I began to doubt that anything made by the hand of man could produce such a sound, a flash of sun-glinted silver and blue would streak by overhead, the roar would gradually recede, and I would be left standing there, frozen in place, alone with my awe and amazement.
Last edited by mdunn30; Jun 11, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:29 PM
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Thanks, Mike. That was a good rememberance. I think Dr. Jones did those low fly-bys on purpose. The more fillings he vibrated loose from people's teeth on Saturday, the more customers he got on Monday. Fiendishly clever.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evasive maneuvers boys!
Joined Jun 2010
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Shreenan View Post
Thanks, Mike. That was a good rememberance. I think Dr. Jones did those low fly-bys on purpose. The more fillings he vibrated loose from people's teeth on Saturday, the more customers he got on Monday. Fiendishly clever.
Thanks Joel. I'm in a nostalgic mood today. I'm spending the weekend down in my hometown of Thomaston to cut my Mother's grass. I got up at dawn this morning to beat the heat and walked out to the exact spot where I used to wait for Dr. Jones' Saturday flybys. A little bit of the old thrill came creeping in so I came back inside and typed up my previous post.

You may be right about the good Dr. having an ulterior motive. I hadn't thought about that angle. It was a very teeth rattling experience, literally!

And I just can't convey how loud it was. One Saturday morning, not unlike this one, I was out back cutting the grass. Our old Briggs & Stratton was not a quiet engine, by any measure, and no one back then thought of using ear protection. That Mustang just absolutely drowned out the sound of the lawn mower, consumed it completely. It was, in a word, awesome.

Along those lines, here's the famous "Cadillac of the Skies" segment from Steven Spielberg's "Empire of the Sun." Some consider this Spielberg's most "artistic" film. Spielberg himself confessed that he made it with no concern about its box office potential and said "It's the kind of film that you can only make after you've won an Academy Award."

Note the great John William's music, the extreme attention to detail (for instance, the Mustangs are skip bombing the hangers, rather than dropping them from overhead), and all the "artsy" film school touches like the ceremonial tables with the white table clothes at the end of the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02BBtN-P0lc
Last edited by mdunn30; Jun 11, 2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
Thanks, Mike. That's a good clip. I still haven't seen that film.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:48 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,798 Posts
I love low passes......"Thats a negative Mavrick the pattern is full"

Worlds Top 10 Low Pass Flybys maneuver performed by Jet fighters of All Time (2 min 52 sec)
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:52 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,628 Posts
Those Brits sure can put on an airshow...

16 Spitfires Flying Together The Sound of Victory " Goosebumps " (3 min 28 sec)
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Jun 22, 2011, 05:26 PM
Evasive maneuvers boys!
Joined Jun 2010
143 Posts
World's Most Dangerous Airport

I posted this in another thread but I thought you guys might like to see it too. It's from the History Channel's program about the most dangerous airports in the world. Number 1 is the airstrip at Lukla, in Nepal. Climbers and trekkers fly from Kathmandu to Lukla to start the trek in to Everest Base Camp, but the Hillary-Tenzing Airport is much more important to the local Sherpa villagers as a commercial pipeline for goods and supplies. I've flown into Lukla three times and flown out of Lukla once. Always thrilling, in a roller coaster sort of way, the trip can also turn deadly, as the report points out.

Nepal's Lukla Airport part 1- One of the Most Dangerous Airport around the World (13 min 28 sec)
Nepal's Lukla Airport part 2- One of the Most Dangerous Airport around the World (2 min 15 sec)
Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:54 PM
... Duck! ...
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Joined Jul 2003
959 Posts
Flying with the fastest birds on the planet: Peregrine Falcon & Gos Hawk - Animal Camera - BBC (3 min 2 sec)
Loone is offline Find More Posts by Loone
Last edited by Loone; Jun 30, 2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Speling
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:49 AM
Evasive maneuvers boys!
Joined Jun 2010
143 Posts
P-38J Lightning

Time to revive this excellent thread!

Listen to how quiet this P-38J sounds as compared to other warbirds of its era. As the OP notes, the twin turbochargers act as mufflers, reducing the decibel level of the two Allison V-12s noticeably.

Another of the Chino, CA Planes of Fame Museum's holdings; this beautiful Lightning is one of only a handful of airworthy examples of this great Kelly Johnson design.

Lockheed P-38 Lightning Flight Demonstration - Up Close ! (3 min 4 sec)