Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by 92PathSE, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:41 AM
Today's forecast: Summer
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
224 Posts
Discussion
Long-Term HobbyZone Super Cub LP Float Testing Continues...

I've flown the plane about 60 times now. Even after the crash it flies great. I'm totally impressed with this thing. It was a good purchase, for sure.

There has been a lot of talk about the stock electronics crapping out. This hasn't been a problem for me. I have flown with the floats and the larger 10x8 prop since day 1. So far I have noticed that the motor will cut very briefly a few times on most flights. It could be the ESC or maybe some interference.

Something that is a problem is the stock LiPo cutoff is set a little too low. It could be a flaw that only affects some planes. I'm not sure. My friend also has this plane and has gone through 3 batteries because he flys to the cutoff every time. I like to keep my cells above 3.5V...over 2 years of LiPo use has taught me this.

I've also noticed that the stock servos will move around a little. They're just not that great compared to the 333oz crawler servos I'm used to. That is expected for something so small and cheap I guess. It doesn't affect the plane at all that I can tell.

There's also the issue of the battery box. When this plane first came out, it used a 6 or 7 cell NiMH pack. The LP version uses a 3-cell that doesn't fit well. A simple modification to the battery box helps the battery fit.

Because I've been flying in the wind so much lately, I've been able to really test how it handles while flying with a brisk tail wind. The answer is, not well. I've had a few close calls when even at full throttle I had no control. I might move the rods to a different spot on the control arms to see if it helps.

I've had 3 total newbies fly this plane and 2 of them had no problems. The 3rd had a crash but I'm blaming that on some weird wind. Part of the reason I bought this plane was to get my family and friends some experience.

There is a new Spektrum DSM version coming out very soon which should be cool, although we think it will probably have the same sketchy electronics package.

I would totally suggest this plane for somebody getting into RC flying. Even veterans will have fun, especially using the floats. They work great and only cost about $20. I made no changes to the CG at all. I assembled the tail, installed the floats, charged the battery, and flew it.

Pros:
- Cheap initial cost
- Fun
- Durable
- Includes EVERYTHING you need to fly
- Slow enough to be easy, fast enough to entertain

Cons:
- Possible ESC issues
- Proprietary electronics
- Battery box issue
92PathSE is offline Find More Posts by 92PathSE
to remove ads between posts