SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 04, 2011, 09:42 PM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,727 Posts
Compare what we fly with the jet guys. $2000+ for an airframe is a steal....and ours are much bigger.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2011, 01:44 AM
United States, AZ, Buckeye
Joined Mar 2010
649 Posts
So when are these things going to be released to the public?
J. Wydronek is offline Find More Posts by J. Wydronek
Old Aug 05, 2011, 02:00 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
Compare what we fly with the jet guys. $2000+ for an airframe is a steal....and ours are much bigger.
You would not like a jet like we fly F3J planes.

Prices going up is not good for the sport IMHO. High end planes dominate discussions in discourage younger pilots with lesser economic recources.

This is not a statement against Maxa, but personally I would think twice before buying more expensive planes than what I now have. I rather like using my money in travelling to competitions or just keep it in my pocket.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Aug 05, 2011, 02:24 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,896 Posts
Maxa aka Joe's Toy. Barry and I are good friends and We speak often. I have known about the new project for a year or so and was honored when Barry asked me if I would like to Test the new glider when it became available.
I saw the first Maxa in the Ukraine in June and flew Barry's at the Nats. I have finished up my glider and have finished the preliminary flight testing.
It is a very impressive design, and handles very well. I did not try to build mine light it is equipped with 6-JR 378 HV servos a 5 Cell 1600ma Elite NiMh battery pack, and a Spektrum 9300 RX. With this combination it took 40 grams of nose ballast to get the CG around 100mm back from the LE. Maxa #4 tips the scales at 1730 grams or 61 ounces.... After Barry gets a chance to look over the content a Build Log will follow.
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Aug 05, 2011, 02:46 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,173 Posts
Ohh and it's red!
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Aug 05, 2011, 02:49 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Maxa aka Joe's Toy. Barry and I are good friends and We speak often. I have known about the new project for a year or so and was honored when Barry asked me if I would like to Test the new glider when it became available.
I saw the first Maxa in the Ukraine in June and flew Barry's at the Nats. I have finished up my glider and have finished the preliminary flight testing.
It is a very impressive design, and handles very well. I did not try to build mine light it is equipped with 6-JR 378 HV servos a 5 Cell 1600ma Elite NiMh battery pack, and a Spektrum 9300 RX. With this combination it took 40 grams of nose ballast to get the CG around 100mm back from the LE. Maxa #4 tips the scales at 1730 grams or 61 ounces.... After Barry gets a chance to look over the content a Build Log will follow.
Nice landing Larry! Btw love your avatar... trying to earn points to get out Sunday.
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Aug 05, 2011, 03:17 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Maxa

You have every right to your decision and to be left out in the cold if that is your preference.. ... Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
You would not like a jet like we fly F3J planes.

Prices going up is not good for the sport IMHO. High end planes dominate discussions in discourage younger pilots with lesser economic recources.

This is not a statement against Maxa, but personally I would think twice before buying more expensive planes than what I now have. I rather like using my money in travelling to competitions or just keep it in my pocket.
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Aug 05, 2011, 03:36 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
You have every right to your decision and to be left out in the cold if that is your preference.. ... Brian
I wish it was that easy but an extra 1000 for a single airframe is a significant situation.

Ill try the plane but even as I set the funds aside I am already asking... ok where do my faults lie in F3J and TD ? How will this extra investment help me over other available choices....
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Aug 05, 2011, 07:23 PM
kdt
Joined Feb 2007
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
I wish it was that easy but an extra 1000 for a single airframe is a significant situation.

Ill try the plane but even as I set the funds aside I am already asking... ok where do my faults lie in F3J and TD ? How will this extra investment help me over other available choices....
Just buy it ... It's not an investment. It's "Joe's Toy".

kdt is offline Find More Posts by kdt
Old Aug 05, 2011, 08:23 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Joe

Joe has got it!!! Remember his 1st Icon design was miles ahead of the competition at the time. You'll find the same with the MAXA. Trust me on that!! Brian
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Last edited by BrianSmith; Aug 06, 2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Spelling.. Of course. I type too fast and don't proof read. scuse me grammer cops. :D
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:47 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,896 Posts
Beach Fun with Maxa 4. I took the Maxa to our local slope site to get some in close flight shots. These views show its lines off...reminds of a Hand Launch on steroids....kinda flies that way too!!
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Aug 06, 2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:53 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
All the cool toys.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:12 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSmith View Post
Joe has got it!!! Remember his 1st Icon design was miles ahead of the competition at the time. You'll find the same with the MAXA. Trust me on that!! Brian
The Icon was in F3B indeed succesful (2nd place at Worlds 2001). But there were other very good F3B designs around in that time period (Estrella, Transwarp, Wobegong, Supersonic). If it was really miles ahead might Joe answer, he flew later the Estrella for comparison.

But back to Maxa, the next gen F3J plane!

Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: US F3B Teamselects
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:49 PM
Marlon
Joined Sep 2004
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Beach Fun with Maxa 4. I took the Maxa to our local slope site to get some in close flight shots. These views show its lines off...reminds of a Hand Launch on steroids....kinda flies that way too!!

Hand launch on steroids ? Great, it will fly the way I like ........ Looking forward to get one ! Just not sure when I will travel to US again.

All the Best,
Marlon (Brazil)
mnluz is offline Find More Posts by mnluz
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:38 PM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetoF3X View Post
The Icon was in F3B indeed succesful (2nd place at Worlds 2001). But there were other very good F3B designs around in that time period (Estrella, Transwarp, Wobegong, Supersonic). If it was really miles ahead might Joe answer, he flew later the Estrella for comparison.

But back to Maxa, the next gen F3J plane!

Reto
Reto,

The F3B version of the Icon was not the primary Icon design. There were two Icons, one was an F3J version and the other was an F3B version. The F3J Icon came out first, and was meant for F3J/TD. Later on Don and I decided to see if we could make an F3B wing that would be bolted on to the F3J fuselage. One constraint that I got from Don was that the wing planform be the same, so the only variable I had was via airfoils. The 'B version was a fun plane, but maybe a bit big for windy conditions due to the amount of ballast required. It was killer (for the time) in distance and in light conditions.

The version that most people think of when hearing "Icon" is the F3J Icon. With an updated fuselage and current manufacturing methodologies, my opinion is that it would still hold its own against any of the current F3J airplanes...
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W