SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2011, 06:01 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,627 Posts
And yes, it does look like a cool model! I'm sure Joe designed the airfoils to work over a range of airspeeds and wing loadings. I'm sure it will be VERY competitive next cycle.
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2011, 02:16 AM
Krasnodar, RUSSIA
Joined Nov 2004
1,027 Posts
MAXA testing in North Caucasus mountains. Successfully.
Beautiful bird in beautiful place.
ViktorF is offline Find More Posts by ViktorF
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:48 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,929 Posts
Viktor,
Wow so that is what Summer in Siberia looks like No Snow ??? I hope you are doing well, will We see you at Bovecs?? I know you have flown Supras for quite some time, how do you find the Maxa?? What a beautiful place to fly, do you also use it for slope soaring? My best Regards Larry
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Last edited by Larry Jolly; Jul 25, 2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:05 PM
Krasnodar, RUSSIA
Joined Nov 2004
1,027 Posts
Larry,
You make me smiling And let me explain why.
First the North Caucasus actually is a SOUTH of Russia, not Siberia. Event was in Kislovodsk. Near to Georgia, Abkhazia, Chechen Republic. Amazing place.
Second yes I fly F3J, but I'm not a member of Russian F3J team. Nowadays I fly F3K mostly.
From what I know eight or so MAXA's pass the testing by Ukrainian and Russian teams.

The person flew MAXA with us is Andrey Volikov(aka Mr Fox). I believe you'll see he in Slovenia on European Championship. And he really come from Siberia(Noyabrsk).
For some reason I no had stick time with MAXA, but some of us did.
Most feelings can be stated as effortless flying plane. Very comfortable and easy handling.
Even being quite light it want alot of line tension for good start.

Driving through mountains at 1500 meters height we had a big temptation to do some flying, but doing this in unfamiliar place was very risky.

Shown plane now on the way to Ekaterinburg(Siberia as well ) for participation in Russian Championship.

And finally allow to offer for all interested a small free travel to Northern Caucasus.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1069738..._ExPj_kJP-1wE#
Enjoy!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:23 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,929 Posts
Viktor,
My aplogies I have confused you with a friend of Andrey. Yes you have a very beautiful country and with luck I shall some day enjoy some flying, and time with you guys. LJ
Old Jul 25, 2011, 03:44 PM
Krasnodar, RUSSIA
Joined Nov 2004
1,027 Posts
Thanks.
BTW we already had some flying together this year on Vladimir's Vilga Cup.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:08 PM
Joined Oct 2003
1,929 Posts
Viktor,
I remember you, I had a wonderful visit in the Ukraine and enjoyed my time there very much. I watched you fly F3K, under difficult conditions. I look forward to seeing you again, and hope that you will contribute often here, it is great that the world can use this medium to share ideas. My best regards LJ
Old Aug 02, 2011, 09:41 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
F3J models have been getting bigger for years as the technology improves. Next year's Maxa is last year's Explorer.

How long till we see a 4 piece 4.5 metre model?
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:30 PM
USA, CT, Stamford
Joined Jun 2006
521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleitch View Post
F3J models have been getting bigger for years as the technology improves. Next year's Maxa is last year's Explorer.

How long till we see a 4 piece 4.5 metre model?
At some point, won't these become too big for the winches?
Mathelo is offline Find More Posts by Mathelo
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:58 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post
At some point, won't these become too big for the winches?
F3J is not flown with winches

F3J is rarely about floating. It calls for a balanced design with easy thermalling, good distance flight and precise manourvering. Having a very large plane has many disadvantages, the landing being the biggest. Second disadvantage is launch - it must be fast with high zoom.

Current F3J planes are mostly 3.7-3.8 meters. There is Xplorer 4m version available, but it is not very popular. Compared to one 4m Xplorer there are ten 3.8 meter Xplorers in competitions.

When the current 3.7 meter planes arrived to F3J scene, that was about the max size that could be structurally achieved for an allround model. Now 4 meter seems to be possible (although I do rate 4m Maxa as an allround model), but anything larger than that seems to make very little sense if you think the F3J task rationally.
Tuomo is online now Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:29 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,097 Posts
I have not read through all 6 pages but the AUW was reported by Barry kennedy to be 60 oz on this model as an easy build to atain-

can the testers posting on this thread please report the weight of the test aircraft please?

I am keeping my eye on this model like others and want to sepperate facts from expectations...

OK wait now I have read through all 6 pages and saw a reference to one aircraft at 60 oz...

Russian test ships in the same weight ? 1704 ish grams ?
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Last edited by webbsolution; Aug 03, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 02:29 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
I have not read through all 6 pages but the AUW was reported by Barry kennedy to be 60 oz on this model as an easy build to atain-

can the testers posting on this thread please report the weight of the test aircraft please?

I am keeping my eye on this model like others and want to sepperate facts from expectations...

OK wait now I have read through all 6 pages and saw a reference to one aircraft at 60 oz...

Russian test ships in the same weight ? 1704 ish grams ?
I had some brief time on the Maxa, the thing did in fact weigh 60 oz.
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:37 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46 View Post
I had some brief time on the Maxa, the thing did in fact weigh 60 oz.
Right, that was the one aircraft I was talking about.

I know one aircraft is no longer in proper flying form how many others are in North America? I would like a cross section of AUW weights before I set aside $2600
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Aug 04, 2011, 09:18 PM
kdt
Joined Feb 2007
433 Posts
auw

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
Right, that was the one aircraft I was talking about.

I know one aircraft is no longer in proper flying form how many others are in North America? I would like a cross section of AUW weights before I set aside $2600
Vladimir is very capable of making this model at a consistant weight. The Supras we used at the worlds all came in very close. It would be suprising to me to see much variation with the Maxa.

Not much we can say about rising prices when our fiat currencies are so abused. Enjoy these prices while we can.
kdt is offline Find More Posts by kdt
Old Aug 04, 2011, 09:29 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
Maxa

Now instead of 6 sailplanes all we need is two MAXAs.. And less than the price of 6 sailplanes. Yeah baby!! MAXAs are gonna ROCK!!!!
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith