Shh..... slopers turning into park flyers.... It is a epidemic
lblife is online now Find More Posts by lblife
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cortina View Post
So this is where all my homies are hanging out!
Donít tell anyone DC......we are in hiding. I am currently afraid to fly fast, so now I just float around in circles, freaking out, hoping I make my time. Then I dork it in for a landing as if I was trying to destroy my airplane. Itís a really stupid activity.

I am trying to become a "Masterdurator"!
Kyle Paulson is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:17 AM
Carlsbad, Calif
Joined Mar 2007
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cortina View Post
So this is where all my homies are hanging out!
Free "Gas Bag" tattoos to newbies
Mark Canfield is offline Find More Posts by Mark Canfield
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:45 AM
Glasson Master
France, IdF, Breuillet
Joined Sep 2004
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W View Post
Target,

To paraphrase what I had sent to Kyle, my ballast cg is about 8-10 mm ahead of my empty weight cg.

As the construction weights get lowered due to increased manufacturing skills/technology, the need for ballast starts at a lower wind level. The Maxa is an excellent example in this regard. I am still amazed at how a bit of ballast turns the plane from a "gas-bag" floater to a speed machine.

I'll have to start a new thread on my settings and set-up philosophy for my Maxa. I've collected the data, just need to organize it so that it is easily understandable!
Joe, could you share some of your settings like ailerons and flaps differential, ballast vs. wind?
Jean-Michel
f5mmx is offline Find More Posts by f5mmx
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:41 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeGlide View Post
Free "Gas Bag" tattoos to newbies
Pick a number and have a seat...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:25 PM
FAV
Ukraine
Joined May 2009
25 Posts
Maxa4 vs slop

No sun and cold? Then fly with a small hill.
Maxa4E vs slop (6 min 6 sec)
FAV is offline Find More Posts by FAV
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:02 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
Design question

The aileron's on the Maxa are cut all the way thru the tips, the same on the Precision, not the case on the Xplorer. One school of thought I have read is that ailerons cut thru to the tips promotes tip stall but seeing and hearing reports on the Maxa this doesn't sound like the case, also, has anyone had any experiance with draging a tip on this wing or a wing with the aileron extending to the tip and causing damage to the aileron and/ or said servo? ... thoughts?
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Dec 10, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:55 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,638 Posts
IHAVAWDY,
If the wing is properly designed ( e.g. Flaps and ailerons have constant % of local chord over the full wingspan), then full Span flaps/ ailerons are aerodynamically better: you have ailerons all the way out where they are most effective and the lift distribution is cleaner when you camber the wing ( can remain elliptical). Both should result * theoretically* in better performance and should not be more prone to a stall.

The drawback is that the planform is constraint by the constant % chord of the surfaces and straight hingelines. So no fancy wing tips and such.

Reto
RetoF3X is online now Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RetoF3X; Dec 10, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:06 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
Some folks claim that an aileron that is full length to the tip is easier to damage, but I can't say that I have seen this in practice.
Maybe for a plane that is landed in rough terrain like a sloper, but for a TD plane, I think that is BS...
And I personally don't care for curved tips. I'd rather have ailerons all the way to the tips.
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:04 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
Thanks Reto, I appreciate you responding to my question, and I agree w/you Target, curved tips have sailed....
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:16 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,859 Posts
Curved tips are a pain for storage and transport.... I'm always afraid they will break, or in storage gouge another panel.
In Drela and Wurts we trust, how far wrong can you go siding with them?

R,
target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Aug 2005
165 Posts
I have zero aileron differential in my Maxa 4. Turns flat with minimum input. Super ship!!
Tom Gressman is offline Find More Posts by Tom Gressman
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:00 PM
Stamford, CT
Joined Feb 2002
476 Posts
I thought curved tips were supposed to increase performance, by using the tip vortex to increase effective span. In the old days we used to call them "Hoerner tips". I agree with everyone that they are a pain in the butt, however, they supposedly help performance.

George
SaltyOne is online now Find More Posts by SaltyOne
Last edited by SaltyOne; Dec 11, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,926 Posts
Supposedly. I don't think any statistically significant improvement has ever been measured.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,638 Posts
Hi George

Winglets can help reduce induced drag, but by virtue this is only valid over a certain range of positive lift coefficients (cl). Thus a plane that spends most time in such a regime (e.g. airliner in cruise flight) can benefit from winglets.

However for cl=0, the winglets and curved tips become essentially airbrakes, as there is no lift and thus no induced drag. An F3B plane has a lot of flight regimes close to cl=0 (zoom, entry dive for speed run, speed run itself, fast distance), thus the curved tips were abandoned to favor those fast flight regimes.

I hope Joe W can chime in and explain why curved tips have disappeared in J planes too (although they spent most time at positive cl). Maybe because the chord of such a winglet/curved tip (and thus RE) would be too small?

Best,
Reto
RetoF3X is online now Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: US F3B Teamselects