HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:25 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Paulson View Post
Well my ham fist freakin loves flying this model. It's so easy to fly. Performance is top notch in my book.
Wow that's an under enthusiastic endorsement from what I expected. Yesterday afternoon Kyle called me to rave about the plane. He was pumped!

It must be Fantastic.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:53 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
[QUOTE=Blaster;18433778]Sorry Tom, our Spread Tow is only 2 layers at +/- 30 degrees and weighs 45 grams per sq. meter. We can make the fiber orientation at any angle we need for the design loads.
Because of the platform shape of the Supra and JW's new Toy, MAXA, we are using 30 degrees. Using the ST we have been able to achieve 90 gram weight reduction in Supra center panels.
This material will be available to purchase later this summer in 4 meter lengths. No price is available yet.

Barry[/QUOTE

Barry, (or anyone)is this fabric available, if so, where can I order some? PM please
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Dec 06, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:18 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHAVAWDY View Post
Barry, (or anyone)is this fabric available, if so, where can I order some? PM please
I suggest you contact Barry directly. Go to the KC website and follow the contact link.

JT
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:49 PM
USA, CA, Seal Beach
Joined Aug 2010
232 Posts
Quote:
Oh Matt! I am going to the TPG comp this Sunday and if you like we could compair setups there. Hope to see you then.

K
Can't make Sunday, but I am planing on the Toys for tots contest next weekend.

Matt
lblife is offline Find More Posts by lblife
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:24 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Aug 2004
153 Posts
The SC fabric is available in 60 cm X 3.1 m, or about 24" x 120 " in 2 styles.

Bi-Axial Spread Tow Carbon Fiber, 45 Gram/Meter *2 at $ 186.00 per piece

Tri -Axial Spread Tow Carbon Fiber 67 Gram/Meter *2 - +45, 0,-45 at $ 247. per piece

Please give me a call for more information 972-602-3144

Barry
Blaster is offline Find More Posts by Blaster
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lblife View Post
Can't make Sunday, but I am planing on the Toys for tots contest next weekend.

Matt
Cool I will see you there Matt. By that time I will have a lot more time on the Maxa. And so I will help you set up your's to the best of my ability if you like.

I flew the Maxa again today and I continue to be amazed. Today was the first time I have put weight in. At this point I noticed a big improvement in moving around the sky. The other improvement I noticed was in landing it tracked in a straight line much better. Obviously because it's not so light. I can't believe how efficient the minimum sink rate is on this model. Today I was able to hang in the lightest smallest thermals. In the past I would not have been able to stay afloat in the conditions I did today. Each time out I am making small tweaks and making improvements each time. My next step will be to put it on the winch this weekend.

Based on Joe's input I have experimented with moving the CG forward and backwards at different times in different conditions. I am quite amazed at how forgiving the model is whether you are forward or aft. I am not sure where I like it best and I might end up doing something similar to Joe which is moving it forward in windy conditions.

One of the characteristics I probably like the most about the model is how easy it is to fly. What amazes me is that when I do stall or when the wings let go it hooks back up almost immediately with my first response. Apparently Joe designed the model with this in mind and I sure do notice it. I am having a hard time putting this in words exactly but said in other words it doesn't stall as easy, but when i see it coming I have plenty of time to react and make corrections. What this is helping me with is flying the model at its most efficient state more often. When I creep up on that perfect sink rate it doesn't let go If I push it too far. I have time to respond and push a little so I don't stall.

Anyways I will continue to report my exciting adventures with my new Maxa! Loving every minute of it ,really pumped on the thermal duration F3J thing!
Kyle Paulson is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
Last edited by Kyle Paulson; Dec 06, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:46 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
Bringing it to the South West Classic Kyle?I'm sure you probably all have seen this but for those that have not, A MAXA infomercial Turns like butta!
Vladimir's Model - Maxa-4E (4 min 19 sec)
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Last edited by IHAVAWDY; Dec 06, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:28 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,355 Posts
Quote:

I am not sure where I like it best and I might end up doing something similar to Joe which is moving it forward in windy conditions.
Sounds like you should just figure out a ballast arrangement that progressively moves the CG a bit with added ballast?
That should be pretty easy, and I have been saying this to others for a while.
Not sure why the TD crowd is so "anti" ballast, only ballasting when it blows 20 or more, but it sounds like you will be bucking that trend with your super-floater...
See you Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:28 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,993 Posts
Cool T!
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:33 AM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,754 Posts
Target,

To paraphrase what I had sent to Kyle, my ballast cg is about 8-10 mm ahead of my empty weight cg.

As the construction weights get lowered due to increased manufacturing skills/technology, the need for ballast starts at a lower wind level. The Maxa is an excellent example in this regard. I am still amazed at how a bit of ballast turns the plane from a "gas-bag" floater to a speed machine.

I'll have to start a new thread on my settings and set-up philosophy for my Maxa. I've collected the data, just need to organize it so that it is easily understandable!
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:10 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,355 Posts
Sounds Perfect, JW.....
Hopefully I can get a chance to see it in action when flying with KP.
All us non-engineer type appreciate your effort to put info in layman terms, too.

R,
Target
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Jan 2008
66 Posts
Maxa

Joe : I have a couple of Maxas and an electric fuse...love the planes....couple of ?s....how much diff and ail to rudder mix are you running in various flight modes. Also...launch camber...thanks in advance
beach1 is online now Find More Posts by beach1
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Sounds Perfect, JW.....
Hopefully I can get a chance to see it in action when flying with KP.
All us non-engineer type appreciate your effort to put info in layman terms, too.

R,
Target
Target I will let you fly it sir !
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:39 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,355 Posts
Don't do that!
I might want to buy one if you do....

See you Sunday.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:04 PM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jan 2008
1,097 Posts
So this is where all my homies are hanging out!
David Cortina is offline Find More Posts by David Cortina
RCG Plus Member